Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

The new year is here! (Read 122 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

-4??  You need a treadmill!  Although I know tougher people than me just get out and get it done ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Got another W4 run in this morning.  I bought a balaclava (ski mask) for about $8 yesterday and it was fantastic for the +3 degree F run.  It's going to be hard to wait for the next running day!

Dutchie42

Unfortunately, about 30 minutes after Monday's run, I had an arithmia. Nothing worriesome, I get them regularly for almost 32 years now, but usually I can control them within a few seconds. This time, I couldn't and my HR went out of control. I was still wearing my HRM so it was easy to see my HR was in the 200-214 bpm range while sitting quietly in a chair. Of course, I was out of medicine, so it took about 2.5 hrs before I finally could take a pill and have my HR come down again. Because it was out of wack for a relatively long time I was dead tired with a massive headache. Last time it went out of control was 7 years ago according to my GP.

Anyways, I haven't done any cardio / running all week. Just to give my heart muscle plenty of recovery time. I'll get back into running as of Tuesday. I'll start with 20 minutes of easy running (read: plenty of walk breaks). I'll increase the running and decrease the walking depending on how I feel.

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Unfortunately, about 30 minutes after Monday's run, I had an arithmia.

I'm sure you are under the supervision of a doctor.   I hope the rest helps!

I got in the last run for W4 today.  I feel pretty tired.  Next week I'll be slowing my pace and increasing distance slightly.

Dutchie42

Chupchup: the arithmia's are harmless I've been told, but quite annoying and as I get older, I seem to need more time to recover. Back when I was twenty, all I needed was a nap and a few hours taking it easy and I was good to go again. I'm 51 now, and I needed three days to recover.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Ran 5 kilometers today. Took nearly 38 minutes though.

I had planned not to run all week after Monday's mishap, but I was soooo ready for a run. Prepped my Polar alarm to beep at 150bpm, and just did a run walk. I didn't stop immediately when the Polar beeped, so my HR could be 153 or so before I took a recovery walk. My HR had to be below 140 before I could run again.

I originally started out to run for 10 min as a warm up for my XT HiiT w/o. But I was really enjoying myself, so I thought I would do 20 min. I was doing really well and feeling well, so why not 30 minutes? By then I decided to aim for 35 min. But I was so close to 5K I just couldn't stop From the 30:30min mark onwards I was running like a machine and skipped the recovery breaks. My HR maxed out at 173bpm.

Dutchie

Singer who runs a smidge

Dutchie, I don't want to make you feel old, but my grandmother had the same heart issue.  Hers would hammer like crazy, and then when it settled she would be dead tired for several days.  Meds helped, and eventually she got a pacemaker, but her heart finally gave out at age 84.  She used to get so annoyed that she couldn't just get up and go do whatever she wanted!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dutchie42

but her heart finally gave out at age 84.  She used to get so annoyed that she couldn't just get up and go do whatever she wanted!!

I hope not! I've planned to be live to be a 100 yo and keep on running. With a walker if necessary. Makes it easy to carry water Wink

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Breaking news:

after 3 queens, the Dutch will have a KING Clown

PARTY time

Dutchie

Singer who runs a smidge

Woot!!  Congrats!!

Have you considered that you and Mr. Dutchie are now seriously out-numbered?  Just kidding.  Congratulations!