Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

blister on the instep (Read 704 times)

mjwithtwins

I'm on week 5 of the OHR program and am having a problem with rubbing on the instep of my left foot. I am a terrible pronator and wear Brooks Ariels. I just got a new pair and the right fits fine but the left rubs along the instep until a blister forms. Any suggestions for how to avoid the blisters? I've tried changing my socks but tick, medium or thin I still trouble.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Drugstores sell 1) moleskin, or 2) "tuff-strips" bandaids - LARGE - to cover the blister area. DON'T intentionally pop a blister because it opens you up to infection and it's nature's way of trying to protect the area. Put a cover on that spot before every run for a little while and see if you develop a callus there - you might. I did. Eventually. Roll eyes Alternately, return the shoes, telling the store "they give me blisters and I can't wear them" and get a different pair. Depends on how much you like the shoes. If the sales clerk at the shoe store gives you grief, go right to the manager. Raise a fuss if necessary, but usually running stores want your business. Your repeat business. Which means they have to have you as a satisfied customer.

Roads were made for journeys...

mjwithtwins

Thanks, I'll try covering up the area. Unfortunately i can't return the shoes. The store would take them back but I don't have any other alternatives for my sad feet. I tried on every single MC shoe out there and Brooks are the only ones I can run in without causeing immediate PF flair ups.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

You could always try a barefoot run. Wink www.barefootrunning.org. I've been enjoying their site immensely lately...

Roads were made for journeys...