Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

New C25K Runner (Read 160 times)

Hi all- Per suggestion of the folks in the general forum, I am embarking on the C25K journey tomorrow. I am a new runner and thought I could train myself to run on my own program. Granted, I am doing okay, my heart rate is out of control (191), I can't come close to talking, and I am in a lot of pain the following day. I want to do this right and start fresh tomorrow. I have a 5K in March and a 10miler (ambitious I know) in May. In terms of speeds, what do you suggest I walk and run at? In my own training, I always try to walk at 4.0, and jog at 5.8. I am wondering if that speed if feasible since I'll be doing it for such short spurts for the first few weeks, compared to the 8 minutes that I do it for now. I hope to learn that building up my base at a comfortable level will help me become a better runner and even enjoy it one day! Any suggestions?
      I'd suggest not worrying about speed/pace, and focus more on breathing and effort. You want to maintain a "conversational pace" while running (i.e., you should be able to speak in sentences with deep breaths in between)... if you can't say more that a few words at a time, you're going too fast; but if you can sing, you're probably going too slow. Once you have a decent base of several months of consistent running at this easy pace, you might be able to increase the pace a bit on some (not all) runs. Good luck!

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac