Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: Sept 7 - Sep 13 (Read 269 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I've done 3 runs this week so far - 3 miles, 1 mile, 3 miles. I can't seem to get past the 3 mile point. My joints just don't seem to be able to handle it yet.
    You'll get there. I see you've had some big increase weeks. Try to keep the 10% guideline in mind: don't increase your distance more than 10% per week. Give yourself time for your body to adjust to the distance, get used to the pounding on your joints and soft tissue. You want to run long term. It's not a race.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I guess I just have to take it easier. I was up to week 8 in C25k when I had to take a month off for injuries. When I came back I couldn't just start up where I left off. Once I got back up to 3 miles at a time I thought I could move on to the next program, but apparently not yet. I have had to take off a week now in then in the last couple of months to avoid injuring myself again. Finally I took off 2 weeks and I was hoping to just get back out there and do 3 mile runs, but I guess not.
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I hear you. Patience is a really bitch, isn't it! Evil grin

Half Fanatic #9292. 

erendis

glad to see all the progress folks are making. i was thinking of you all this morning since we decided to go and run the 5k distance and not worry about time or intervals or anything (since the 1st race is next sunday, and we hadn't gone a full 3mi yet). more than once i had to think "HTFU" to get over the mental hurdles. it's weird- my body was totally fine with it, conversational pace, even after the 3.1 mi was done i didn't feel burned out but my brain kept yelling at me to quit. we took a few fast walk breaks along the way to catch our breath, but i really think it was more that my mind felt i couldn't do it because i kept checking for pain and there wasn't any. right now, i feel totally exhilarated! i didn't time it on purpose, but i estimate that i took about 39 min, which is not too shabby with walking breaks and comfortably paced. super psyched for next sunday!!
          I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
            Did my first day of C25K today and it was fantastic! Am super excited about doing the rest of it! Bring on 5k!
            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Littlefrog, welcome to the group! It only gets better as you get further into C25K. Cool Erendis, it is a big mental game, isn't it? I've got my next race next weekend too and I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Baby bean!

Just did Week5, Day1 with a little extra but then Shocked the cramps set in. Not fun. Hopefullu tomorrow that WON'T be an issue with the Komen 5K. Dead

Goals:
                Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

The young Mama Bear!

Has anyone dealt with loss of fitness? I stopped running like I did for a week, and I can only top out at 10 minutes now. Angry Also, I can't get used to running with all of these fit people around me. I usually don't care, but I'm so used to running all alone and on top of that, not being the biggest person around. It's weird.
                  Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                  Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                  erendis

Also, I can't get used to running with all of these fit people around me. I usually don't care, but I'm so used to running all alone and on top of that, not being the biggest person around. It's weird.
                    the best thing i did when i got to college was make an appointment with the nutritionist- she was able to point me to a weight loss support group at school. the best part about it (other than learning good food habits) was meeting people to exercise with that were on the same level as i was. it made working out in the midst of southern california skinny blond tan people much less terrifying. maybe you can find someone to turn on to C25K! MTA- i still get winded before the 30min is up. i made a decision that it's ok to take a 30sec or so walking break just to catch my breath if it means i'm more able to finish my run comfortably. even though i finished C25K, i'm no athlete yet and i'm still just trying to get out there to stick to a fitness plan.
                    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso