Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

New to C25K (Read 279 times)

Hi everyone! Ok, I'm not new to C25K - but I just recently discovered this board. I've been doing C25K for about 11 weeks. I am going very very slowly. My freshman year of college I tried to start running and ended up with painful shin splints (sp?). After 11 weeks I am now doing 5 min warmup, 20 min run, 5 min cool down. This week I am going to try to run for 25 min. I guess that means I am on week 7 of the program. Well, just wanted to intro myself and say hello!

The young Mama Bear!

Hi, and welcome to the crazy running family we've got here. Smile Shin splints can be pretty nasty, so good on you for knowing your body and slowing down. Good luck! I'm at the same spot you are in with regards to C25K, and it's a killer.
      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
      theyapper

On the road again...

Welcome aboard! You're smart to take it easy with the shin splints - I had a pretty nasty spell of them and was out for 10 days or so. Go easy and keep listening to your body.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Welcome Cool Best advice I received to stay pain free: SLOW DOWN! I just finished week 7 and have been injury free the entire time. (knock on wood). I've read to not try to take big ole long strides. And lead with your heal! Welcome and good luck Cool
          Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.

The young Mama Bear!

And lead with your heal!
            I am probably opening a can of worms here, but I wouldn't lead with my heel. That's a natural brake for your body, and leads to an inefficient (and slower) stride. Try to strike mid-foot, with your weight landing under you, not way in front you. Also (to the OP), check if you supinate. Supination can lead to shin splints because of the way that your weight lands on your foot. All foot types get shin splints, but supinations are a little more susceptible.
            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
            theyapper

On the road again...

Just to clarify what goddess is saying: from what I've been told and researched, you want your foot to be moving slightly backwards when it hits the ground/treadmill/running surface. If it's way out in front of you and you're landing on your heel, you're gonna get hurt.

Paul

Wow you guys are way ahead of me. I have to be honest, I have no idea what supination is. Can you fill me in? When I run I am not consciously trying to land any certain way - I'm just following my natural stride. But like everyone recommends, I'm going really slow. Week 11 for me personally, but week 7 on the C25K program. BTW, I ran 25 min today and it felt awesome! Definitely huffing the last 5 minutes (totally psychological) but I'm glad I could do it!
                theyapper

On the road again...

Wow you guys are way ahead of me. I have to be honest, I have no idea what supination is. Can you fill me in?
                  "A foot is in supination when the ankle appears to be 'tipped' to the outside so you are standing on the outside border of the foot. Supination allows the foot to be a more stable, rigid structure for when we push off on our next step. The foot naturally supinates during the toe-off stage (when the heel first lift off the ground until the end of the step) to provide more leverage and to help ‘roll’ off the toes." I had to look it up cuz I'm not that smart. Wink Congrats on the 25 minute run.

Paul

zzz

Wow you guys are way ahead of me. I have to be honest, I have no idea what supination is. Can you fill me in? When I run I am not consciously trying to land any certain way - I'm just following my natural stride.
                    Really what you should be doing is hitching up with a runner's specialty store and have them analyze your stride and foot strike and then have them fit you into the proper shoe (which you may already have)... they can tell you if you supinate (tip to the outside) or pronate (roll to the inside).
                    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Welcome to our group! Nothing wrong with taking it slow and giving your body time to adjust. Toe taps are another great exercise for all runners which no one has mentioned yet. They are very helpful in preventing/dealing with shin splits. CeliacChris posted this on the main board in a thread about shin splints.... "Toe taps: when sitting down, with your feet flat, leave your heels on the floor and tap your toes up and down. 50 with your feet pointing straight ahead; 50 with them pointing to the right, 50 with them pointing to the left. Repeat whenever you remember, until you think you'll scream if you do another set. Then do another set." Shin splints can be caused by increasing your mileage too quickly or wearing shoes that are worn out as far as cushioning and support. If you don't know how old your shoes are, it's probably time to replace them. Just something to keep in mind. I started to get some shin soreness when I started running; I did toe taps three times a day and replaced my shoes. No problems since.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Thank you for the advice. My shoes are new/hardly used - lots of cushioning and are a great fit. Lots of room for the toes, which I like. I didn't have them fit though, but will definitely do so with my next pair at a running store.