Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Appetite Since Starting Running (Read 216 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I've noticed the last few weeks that I just want to eat and eat and I'm hungry often. I hadn't really thought much of it. My husband suggested it's probably just my metabolism speeding up due to all the running. That makes sense; I hadn't connected the two until he said it. The last few weeks I've been going farther and running longer. Have you noticed any difference in your appetite or your eating habits since you started C25K?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

The young Mama Bear!

I've noticed the last few weeks that I just want to eat and eat and I'm hungry often. I hadn't really thought much of it. My husband suggested it's probably just my metabolism speeding up due to all the running. That makes sense; I hadn't connected the two until he said it. The last few weeks I've been going farther and running longer. Have you noticed any difference in your appetite or your eating habits since you started C25K?
      Yes! It's only been about a week and a half, but the foods that used to stave my hunger get digested much quicker. I find myself eating more of those foods constantly. Runners say they run so that can eat what they want. Why not? Wink
      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
        Yep. I started running in April and have GAINED about 4 pounds since then. Although I like the idea that it might be muscle, I do have a bit more flab. I think it's because I feel like I could eat a horse at any given moment. I need to do something about this. Running makes me feel better about my body and health (and I'm now addicted!), but the truth is that it's not helping me manage my weight. And I usually don't eat unhealthy things either, I've just been eating more in general.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

Wingz

Professional Noob

I didn't really have this happen to me, but I've heard a lot of people say they did. It's not really true that ALL "runners can eat whatever they want." Unfortunately. Wink RA has a calculator under the "tools" tab up top that lets you calculate the calories you burned for a given run. It's here: http://www.runningahead.com/tools/calculators/calories It ignores hills (sorry!) but includes the two most important factors: mileage and your weight. So, if you weigh 150 lbs and eat an extra 300 calorie snack... you'd have to run an additional 2.65 miles just to burn that snack off. I don't know about you, but it takes me about 1 minute to eat 300 calories... Shocked The people who can "eat anything" are those who are running tons and tons... (think 70+ miles/week!) Sadly, I'm not one of those. Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm not too worried about the weight and eating connection. I weight less now than I have at any other time in my adult life (but then again, I'm spending all day chasing my two children around). I'm 3lbs under my high school grad weight. I haven't seen any change in weight since I started running either. I think my body just likes this weight. And I just want to eat! Tongue

Half Fanatic #9292. 

50 halfs by age 50

Ra-ve-nous!!! I try to run before dinner so I can eat afterward. On LR days, I eat a little something before a run (depending on mileage), then have chocolate milk when I get back. I usually sit down and eat after I shower and I have to have protein. I burn through carbs in about 5 min.

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yes, I love chocolate milk post run. I'm going to try that recipe for chocolate milk syrup someone posted on the link to on the big board. (this one)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

More turtle than hare...

Even though I'm generally hungry all the time usually a little snack'll do me. I've tried to use this insatiable hunger to increase my fruit/veg intake and I'll have a tangerine or some grapes or carrots or something. It's guilt free, so I don't mind a getting a snack when I just can't wait the five extra minutes for dinner or something...
                    Yup the running makes me ravenous. I need to lose weight so when I'm running a lot I have learned that I NEED to count calories because if I eat to my hunger I will definitely eat too much. I think part of the reason is that your body depletes it's glycogen on the runs and you are hungry to replace that reserve. This is differently than walking or something slower since that exercise functions on a largely fat based metabolism. Running builds a bit of muscle but I'm not sure how much of a real metabolic effect that small amount would have. Running definitely makes me hungrier than weight training for example. There is a good article on Caloric intake and running on runner's world http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-310-7771-0,00.html
                    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
                    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
                    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
                    • Complete a 10K fun run
                    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That's an interesting article. Thanks for sharing it. I'm not sure about the calorie count it says I need per day; seems pretty low.

Half Fanatic #9292.