Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread 2/17 to 2/23 (Read 230 times)

Loose Cannon

I get to start a thread! I was so mad yesterday, I scraped a thick layer of ice off of my car in order to go to the gym and do week one, day one (yet again) and when I got there, the gym was closed! So I cross-trained by doing a fitness DVD in my living room. I'm hoping that I can get week one finished by only doing it on Wednesday and Friday, since I came so close last week and now I know to run as slow as I can.
    Started C25K 2/5/08 Goal: Healthy Family Fun Run/Walk 5K WI Dells 5/10 If not ready for a 5K by 5/10: Shithouse 5K LaCrosse 7/26/08
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Way to "Plan B" it, ladyveg! Big grin Big grin Big grin You've got a winning attitude! Cool

Roads were made for journeys...

obiebyke

Stupid gym! For Presidents Day? Come on! Right on with the video. Thankfully, my gym was open, and I completed W6D1 with no problems. Weird after effect though: the inside of my left knee feels hot--not painful, but hot. It's not, to the touch, and it's not discolored, but I have the sensation that it's really hot. Has anyone ever experienced something like that? Ooo, the day before, I went on a 12 mile bike ride along San Francisco Bay. That was awesome. It kicked my butt, since I'm not really a cyclist and I was wearing, like, hiking boots (!), but I was proud of doing it. Even if, at the top of a really tough hill, I happened to throw up in my mouth a little. Tight lipped

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Loose Cannon

Wow, a 12-mile bike ride! Sounds like fun, even with the barf. Tongue I DID IT! Today I did the Week One of C25K and jogged ALL the intervals! I just kept forcing myself to run as slowly as possible. It's harder than it sounds! But I did it. I'm so happy. I'm going to do it one more time on Friday, and then move to Week Two next week.
          Started C25K 2/5/08 Goal: Healthy Family Fun Run/Walk 5K WI Dells 5/10 If not ready for a 5K by 5/10: Shithouse 5K LaCrosse 7/26/08

Loose Cannon

Talking to myself over here, I think this running program is driving me batty! Shocked I again successfully did week one, day three today, so I've officially graduated week one and will start week two next week! I do have a question. I have found there are two ways of running slowly. One is to jog in kind of an up-and-down motion, and the other is just a little more than a racewalk, propelling forward. I feel as if the racewalk is probably better form, but at times I feel as though I'm straddling the line between a very fast walk and an actual jog. What do you think?
            obiebyke

I'd say the racewalk way, to imitate running form and use those muscles. Remember: if both feet are off the ground at the same time at any point in your stride, you're technically running! Big grin After weeks of resistance, I seem to be succumbing a bit to the plague that's been spreading around Northern California. Just a bit under the weather and some runny nose/dry sinus stuff. Today is W6D3, and I'm going to do that 25 minute run, dammit! I've done research on the forums, and I think I fall in the area where, as long as I don't push too hard, it's still ok to run. I'll pair that run with plenty of water, Emergen-C, my multivitamin, and SLEEP, don't worry. Wish me luck. I'm SO excited to be off the Ullrey podcasts now. They were useful when there were intervals, but I wasn't big on the music, and listening to the same podcast three times got a little old. Now I can plug in to the gym TVs or my iPod. And my dad confirmed today that my Garmin 305 is on order! Big grin Big grin Big grin

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Loose Cannon

Good luck! I hope your plague turns out to be nothing, or at least is short and sweet. I totally understand what you're saying about Ullrey's podcast. I love that he made them, and it makes things so easy for me right now. But if I hear that "leave me alone, leave me alone, I don't want to see you..." song one more time, I swear I'm going to Tight lipped Congrats on the Garmin! Somehow that sounds like something I'll need desperately sooner or later.
                Wingz

Professional Noob

ledyveg, congrats on getting through that rough, long week! I'm sure week 2 won't be nearly as hard for you! When I slowed waaaaay down, I described my paces to myself as (from slowest to fastest) "weak bent-kneed shuffle, medium bent-kneed shuffle, strong bent-kneed shuffle, and slow jog." I imagine that many others who saw me wondered what I was doing because it certainly doesn't resembe any "running" that we see on TV... or even out on the street, usually! I think those words probably described pretty well what I was doing. "Slow jog" is my favorite pace nowadays, with an occasional "strong bent-kneed shuffle" or "harder jog" thrown in. Which is why, when I see my reflection in a bank window or what-not, I now see a "jogger" and am just tickled pink! 'Cause two years ago that was beyond me. I am PROUD to be a jogger now! Big grin And while in attitude I may be a runner, I'd take it as a compliment if someone called me a jogger. Because I know what it's like to not be able to do even that. Smile obiebyke, you're movin' right along now! Smile I'm really glad you're healed up. Don't be surprised if running feels more difficult or if you need to slow down some while you're sick. That's normal and it doesn't mean you're going backwards in your progress, just that you're not at your best right now. Oh! And tell us how you like that Garmin! My BF bought himself one for Christmas Roll eyes and he uses it mostly just to tell his pace and distance.

Loose Cannon

Thanks for the input, Wingz! I think that the "shuffle" descriptions suit me exactly. And I know just what you're saying about being proud to be a jogger. It may not be much, that I can jog 8 60-second intervals in 20 minutes, but that is something I couldn't have done even a month ago. Can't wait to start week two.
                    Flunky

Wingz you're so lucky, I want to be called a jogger too. I want to know if my pathetic 2 minute running, 6 minute walking will change soon. I wanted to start this program Sunday.. but something popped up every day this past week. Tomorrow it is. I hope. *crosses fingers* First week shouldn't be hard I think.
                      ... "They say that time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." - Andy Warhol
                      Wingz

Professional Noob

Wingz you're so lucky, I want to be called a jogger too.
                        Ok, Flunky, you're a jogger! Tongue
                        I want to know if my pathetic amazing 2 minutes of running, and totally reasonable 6 minute walking will change soon.
                        Fixed that for ya. Wink
                        I wanted to start this program Sunday.. but something popped up every day this past week. Tomorrow it is. I hope. *crosses fingers* First week shouldn't be hard I think.
                        The first week's hardest because it's the first week. So many people say "Oh, I'm going to start running/ exercising/ eating better" and never do. Get that first week in and you're ahead of all of them! Smile