Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

weekly thread 5/18 to 5/24 (Read 315 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

jb944 and obiebyke - you guys are now admins of this group. Anyone else wanting to be an admin send me an email at yanelh@hotmail.com. My hope is that the admins, who are already putting in a lot of time and lending us their experience, will work together to make this an even better place. Cheers! Smile

Roads were made for journeys...

MoonStar

Yeah!! W6d3 finished - after several attempts. Wasn't even going to try it again until Tuesday - since I wasn't sure if my legs could do it after the bike ride yesterday. My dad encouraged me to try today anyways and I did fine - although my legs are somewhat jellofied now. So I'll take of tomorrow and start W7 on Tuesday Cool
      Wingz

Professional Noob

OHR w3d3 done on the second attempt. I am participating in a triathlon in September, so I started my cross training this morning with a 30 minute bike ride with the intention of following it with w3d3.... wrong. I made it 5 minutes before I had to stop and go home. Never felt so defeated. The bike ride was no picnic and I shoulda known better. Went home and rested for about three hours and then ran w3d3 just fine.
        I think what you may be describing - a run right after a hard bike ride - is what tri-folks call a "brick run." It's very normal for legs to feel like jello when trying to run right after a bike ride. Tri-folks will include brick runs in their training to help with the transition between bike and run, but I don't believe it's the main focus of their running training. My understanding is that IF a triathlete is training several sports in one day they'll usually do one in the morning and the other at night. I think there's a triathlete group around here somewhere... ah, here it is: Swim Bike Run I'd suggest going there with your tri questions. Good luck, and good job trying again after getting the rest you needed! Smile

Wingz

Professional Noob

Wasn't even going to try it again until Tuesday - since I wasn't sure if my legs could do it after the bike ride yesterday. My dad encouraged me to try today anyways and I did fine
          Congrats on finishing week 6, MoonStar! This statement has me thinking. It seems like there's often an encouraging person or three behind every success story. I'm really happy that so many of our runner-graduates, moving on to the One Hour Runner program, have stayed around and are encouraging and helping out the C25K people. Thanks, everyone. Your support and encouragement may very well mean the difference between success and not for a struggling newbie. You guys rock! Cool

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

PolePole - what happened? I've been waiting to see a post telling us you've finished that first 20 minute run. You can do it! kiwi - I was very afraid of W5D3 and it took me two attempts to get through that week, but you can do it. And so what if it takes an extra week. The program is not cast in stone - just a guide for you. You need to listen to your body. But also remember that much of this is a mental thing. runswithdogs - I wish I had made my own podcasts. I wasn't a huge fan of the ullrey music, but at least I didn't have to keep looking at the watch to know when to walk and when to run. meltchett - I think this time around you will find the program much easier because you've crossed the mental hurdle and know you CAN do it. gwhutch - you are doing great. We are at about the same place - although I'm still sidelined this week. Sad LaineT - graduation week for you. Great job! CanadianMeg - it is a mental thing - but once you get out the door it gets easier. obiebyke - you are doing great. Hope you are feeling better. What's next? Moonstar - maybe your bike shoes were too tight? Great job on your run. You are doing well. Eyedoc - where are you? I hope I didn't miss anyone since my last post. As for me - let's say it was a rough week. Last Saturday I moved a small table in my living room and my back went out - actually dropped me to the floor in pain. Fortunately I have a great chiro and with aggressive therapy, massage, light stretching, and adjustments, it is much better. The body is truly an amazing thing. Last week I really couldn't sit down without intense pain. Yesterday, DH and I went to downtown Chicago to "Bike the Drive." They close Lakeshore Drive to traffic for about 5 hours. It was a gorgeous day and we did 1.5 loops for a total of 47.5 miles! I'm still not able to run - doc doesn't want me jarring the low back right now - said we would see how I do this week and I may be able to start back next week. Enjoy the holiday!
              JB and others, Thanks for looking out for me! I intended to do W5D3, but instead repeated W5D2, and struggled through it more than the 1st time I did it. I've got a weird hip/back thing going on that was getting worse as the run went on, so I cut it back and then iced the afternoon away. I did go to my swimming class that evening, and while that was good, the hip thing kicked in again. I'll give it a shot again today. Smile On a very positive note, I have lost about 25 lbs since starting C25K, about 1/4 of my overall goal. Big grin As excited as I am about this, I know that the amount left to go is one of my major limiting factors, so I just keep on keeping on. Despite *years* of trying to be able to run and also lose weight, and failing *every* time, this is the first time that the forces have actually combined to yield success. As a result, I'm not in a hurry...I keep running, and the scale keeps going down. I'll take that. PS--JB, my stepbrother lives in Naperville too. I went to watch the LSD ride many years ago when I lived in Evanston, but never would have dreamed of actually doing it then. Go you! for doing it this year!