Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 4/24 to 4/30 (Read 477 times)

Hello! 

I'm officially at the start of week 6 on C25K.  The first 5K I'm planning is on May 7th, and I've had a rough time running outside (vs treadmill).

So, for today's run I decided to go outside on a new route, and just see how it went.  I did have the wk6d1 plan in mind, but I didn't stick to it.

But.... and here's the good part: I enjoyed it!  I ran/walked and went 3 miles. It was a beautiful day, and I actually turned off my music to listen to the birds sing.  I learned that I pace myself way too fast outside, and need to walk sooner because of that.  However, I had fun and got outside and feel like I'll be able to finish the 5K race with some combo of walking and running.

Hope everyone else's week goes well, and remember: you define success for yourself (there's more than one way off the couch..)

Keep building the base.

2012 goals: Under 30 minutes 5K, over 20 miles/week

Happy Easter everyone!

Way to go, Jenn, on getting outdoors!  A 5K race is an excellent goal to work towards.  You still have two weeks to go, plenty of time to adjust your pace to outdoor running. 

Do you have a goal yet for your 5K?  For my first 5K, my goal .was to just finish...I amazed myself by making it the whole way without walking!  You can do it, whatever you decide to shoot for...you'll be ready.

Hot and humid here today, and it really affected my run this morning.  I was shooting for a 6 miler (3 laps around the park) but I only completed 4 miles (2 laps around the park).  It was a little discouraging, but I hope it will motivate me to get up a little earlier when it is warm out...I hate that this has happened so early in the year.  Sundays are my only mornings to sleep in!

Michele in NC

Loves the outdoors

Sounds like a great run Jen! Welcome to the outdoors Smile

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

theyapper

On the road again...

Jen - welcome to week 6!  The last week of the walking breaks!  I remember looking at the schedule thinking that running 25 minutes without walking was like doing trapeze work without a net.  Just remember that your body is ready for this, and now it's time for your mind to be.  Stay focused!  I can't wait to read how your runs go.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ran W4D1 on the trail with the dog this morning.  I was tired but otherwise felt pretty good. 

Jennxpt - Keep rocking the outside running!  It gets easier over time and you'll figure out your own groove.  It's all good.  Smile

bianchilvr - Early morning is awesome.  Well, more awesome than running at noon when it's hot and humid.  :P  We have that issue here in Iowa, USA in the summer.  I feel your pain.

Traveling, and it's raining, so did the official week 6 day 1 (as it's supposed to be) on the hotel treadmill.

My goal for the 5K is just to finish. I would be happy with under 45 minutes, but that might be faster than what I can do right now.

Yeah, the heat is tough- it was 40 the other day, and that was really perfect for running; DH was worried I'd get too cold, but not a problem.  I suppose lots of early mornings in the summer...

Yes, the running 25 min straight without walking idea freaks me out.  I kinda like my walk breaks, but I'm surprised to find a groove after about 6 min or so... maybe keeping going will be a good thing?

ChupChup- awesome start to week 4! I kinda felt like that week 4 was making it around the corner.

We are on vacation, so might not post for a while... but I'll try to sneak in one more run - outside if it isn't raining!

Keep building the base.

2012 goals: Under 30 minutes 5K, over 20 miles/week

Good job on starting off week 4 right, chup!  Sorry you were tired, get some rest!  I'll bet that your dog loves those runs on the trails...I see lots of folks with dogs when I'm out running.  I'll bet a dog is a great motivator.  I am a dog person, but where I live now it would be very difficult to have a dog...so, I have 4 cats, a bearded dragon, and a 38 gallon tank of tropical fish...none of these will go running with me! Sad

Jenn, have fun on vacation!  It's a great goal for a 5K just to finish.  You'll likely do better than you think!  Way to go on Week 6 (officially! Big grin)  You can run without walk breaks, it's definitely mental, not physical.  Good luck!

Michele in NC

Good job on starting off week 4 right, chup!  Sorry you were tired, get some rest!  I'll bet that your dog loves those runs on the trails...I see lots of folks with dogs when I'm out running.  I'll bet a dog is a great motivator.  I am a dog person, but where I live now it would be very difficult to have a dog...so, I have 4 cats, a bearded dragon, and a 38 gallon tank of tropical worried fish...none of these will go running with me! Sad

Jenn, have fun on vacation!  It's a great goal for a 5K just to finish.  You'll likely do better than you think!  Way to go on Week 6 (officially! Big grin)  You can run without walk breaks, it's definitely mental, not physical.  Good luck!

Fixed your post for you. 

Fixed your post for you. 

Big grin

Michele in NC

theyapper

On the road again...

Looks like some good running here this week.  I'm gonna have to start my early morning summer runs early - I went out around 11 this morning to run and melted.  Had to cut my workout in half due to the heat.  Hate when that happens.

Paul

ty66,  I'm having motivation problems since the heat/humidity have gone up a couple of weeks ago here..  I just hate getting out there and sweating like a horse. My times slow significantly (not that I'm fast on 15 miles or so per week).   don't think I ever adapt that much to the weather this time of year...I just have to make it through it, then get ready for fall running!

Michele in NC

theyapper

On the road again...

ty66,  I'm having motivation problems since the heat/humidity have gone up a couple of weeks ago here..  I just hate getting out there and sweating like a horse. My times slow significantly (not that I'm fast on 15 miles or so per week).   don't think I ever adapt that much to the weather this time of year...I just have to make it through it, then get ready for fall running!

I totally get this.  For me, once we actually get to summer and I've re-established my early morning run routine, I don't struggle as much.  But the transition from cool to heat always zaps me.  I'm just trying to plug away at it until my body adjusts.

Paul

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I totally get this.  For me, once we actually get to summer and I've re-established my early morning run routine, I don't struggle as much.  But the transition from cool to heat always zaps me.  I'm just trying to plug away at it until my body adjusts.

I third this. here in Austin, TX it seems we skipped spring and jumped to hot and humid mornings with heat indexes in the low 80's already. This year I am running later in the morning than last year when I was working from home and we hit upper and 80's and lower 90 heat indexes at 4:30am in the morning. Now that I am retired and sleeping late (6-7am) the temps will be higher. Am not looking forward to running in those temps. Hope I acclimate quickly.

Michelle- don't worry about your pace when temps rise. We all slow down, and HR increases, when temps are higher than mid 60's. That's one reason I focus more on time and HR than I do pace and distance. Yeah I still get frustrated by lower miles, but take encouragement from how much time I have been on my feet, especially in hot weather. 

Keep on keeping on folks!

bob e v
                            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.