Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread 5/4 through 5/10 (Read 288 times)

MoonStar

W6d2 done. Again more hills. Didn't get distracted by the multiple garage sales - at least I didn't stop. Legs/shins more tired when doing hills. Feels ok now though. Going to try a flatter course for d3.

Puffer, not huffer

W7 D2 in the bag. I'm sitting here icing my leg, unfortunately. I'm getting twinges of the pain that made me quit running last time. Crap and damn! I did a ton of Internet self-diagnosing last night, and it looks like posterior shin splints. Sad It's funny--I'm running with pretty hardcore stability shoes AND inserts from my podiatrist, so what else can I do? I know I'm a pretty big overpronator, but the weird thing is, the pain is happening on the OTHER leg this time. Maybe I am overcorrecting on the left leg? It's bothering me that I can't figure it out. Anyone know of any shoes that are stabler (yes, I know that's not a word, I just made it up) than the Saucony Omni Grid 5? In other news, in an effort to shake up my run and give my whiny left leg a rest, I did my course backwards today! Anyone ever do that? It was actually kind of fun--it definitely changes your perspective. It was fun to actually LOOK at the neighborhood where I would normally end my run, instead of thinking "oh god please let it be over" and by the time I got to the END of the course today, it was fun to psych myself out by thinking "remember how good you normally feel during this part? you're almost done!" But maybe I'm just strange. On the plus side, the leg doesn't hurt at all when I run, so I'm thinking more time between runs (2 days instead of one day), obsessive icing, and some ibuprofen, along with calf stretches out the wazoo, will help me along to feeling better. Happy Saturday all!
      jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

LaineT - Toe taps for shin splints. While you are sitting down, tap toes when toes are pointed straight out, then angle to the left and tap, then angle to the right and tap. Do them in all 3 positions until you think you can't do any more - then do some more. It really works! I've run my route in reverse and it is amazing what you see going in a different direction. Don't give up - you have done well - get the shin splints under control and you will be able to finish.
        jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

OHR W3D1 done!
          obiebyke

OHR Week 6 in the bag! Ran my furthest and longest ever: 3.43 miles in just shy of 42 minutes. Plus, on my run, there was a 12 hour race going on (7am to 7pm, winner is whoever does the most miles Shocked ) and a wedding! Good people-watching distracted me to running a minute over my prescribed 41.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

obiebyke - great job. You are almost done. What's your plan after OHR? This is supposed to be my rest day, but I went out this morning and just did intervals - 1 min run/1min walk for 3.65 miles. It helps my breathing (I'm still sick!). Next run later this week and I will pass the 100 mile mark for the year! I think to celebrate I should take my running log in to the PT that told me I shouldn't be running. Big grin
              obiebyke

Nice job sticking with it, jb. Are you sleeping enough? Why can't you kick this thing? Sad Am I almost done? Doesn't feel like it. I'm actually going to take longer than the 10 weeks-- I have a race on June 1st, so I'm not going to build miles that week, and I'm going to Vegas in June, so I probably won't be running as much there. Wink After OHR, though, I want to add a fourth day, slowly bringing that day up to an hour. By the end of the year, I'd like to be running 5-5-5-7. We'll see!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

nice job obie, I'm jealous! I on the other hand have been slack-o-matic with my running lately. Part of it is the graduations this past weekend and mothers day shtuff, but also I've been getting up at 4 am to go turkey hunting, and I am wiped by 9 am! I've been like a zombie during the day. However............. I got one today! So my turkey season is over, and I can go back to getting up at 5:15 to go jogging and feeling good throughout the day... time to get back on track.
                  2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year
                  jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

obiebyke - I try and sleep enough, but at my age, I never sleep through the night. Don't know why this is lingering - I have my annual doc appt tomorrow, so I'll see what she says. June is going to mess with my schedule, too. We have my nephew's graduation at MIT, a HS graduation in Michigan, a wedding here, and a wedding at Epcot at the end of the month. Fortunately, DH is a runner, so hopefully we can still get a few runs in while we are traveling so much. eyedocguy - so when does rabbit season start? I have lots in my yard. Big grin Time to get back out there with the puppy!