Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

New to Running ....period! (Read 304 times)

Hello, I recently started C25K and today is W1 D3 for me. I was never athletic growing up and any time I half way tried to run, I hated it because it 'hurt' too much. I am in the process of trying to drop about 25-30 pounds and needed to find something new and challenging (impossibly challenging) to focus on. I am so not a runner, to the point that I haven't told many people about this, just to increase the shock value when they find out! Surprised I really like the incremental straightforward plan with C25K, and I can't wait to sign up for my first 5K. I hope to be able to do a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. I may shoot for a race in October if I feel ready, but I really want to take my time and avoid getting injured. I am in the process of quitting smoking so I have a lot of work to do! So far, I completed my first two workouts successfully. I start to struggle around the 5th or 6th interval, but I self talk my way through it and push myself. It has been hot and muggy and I run on a very nice local high school track. Here are my newbie questions: Should I try the treadmill today to see if it's any 'easier' (ie eliminate the heat challenge), or is it better to train out in the elements and just push through it? How do I know that I am ready to move on to W2? Do I just try it on my next run but give my permission to fall back? And finally, I can't seem to get a good breathing rhythm going...usually I do a deep inhale through the nose and then like a two- part exhale through the mouth. Any suggestions here would be appreciated...what is a typical breathing pattern or is it an individual thing? Thanks for the help and sorry this is so long winded! Cyndi
    Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

WohooO! A new runner! Welcome to the group! I am an outdoor runner and a mouth breather (in and out) when I run. I can't comment on the treadmill because I haven't used one. I like the scenery outside. As for moving on, if you can do the run-walk intervals without walking some of the run time and you don't feel like you are dropping dead to do it, you could probably move on to the next week. If you do start a new week and it feels too tough, then drop back to the previous week or the previous run. There's no harm in repeating runs or weeks if you need to. Just stick with the 3x per week. We've all been there and we'll be here to cheer you on. You've got two runs done. You are a runner now! Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Welcome aboard!!! Congrats on starting C25K Cool I use the TM when either it is very humid out, raining, or my daughter can't run with me. If you run on the TM, be sure to run with a 1% incline to make up for wind resistance, etc. I probably run half and half between outside and TM. I like the scenery too. Gets kinda boring running nowhere! Best advice I can give is...go slow...make sure you can carry on a conversation, and remember there is no such thing as "too slow". Slow and injury free is best. I'm in week 8 and (knock on wood) have never had any injuries. I'm 41, never ran until 8 weeks ago for the first time EVER and I have followed C25K to the letter. So, listen to your body. Like Meg said, if you can get through the runs without walking, then feel encouraged to move on. Best of luck, new runner Big grin
        Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.
          Thanks for the replies and encouragement! Ernsbrgr....I am also 41, and I'm from Cleveland AND I have three kids, 16, 13, 9. You seem to be doing great with the weightloss too! I can't imagine getting to week 8 or 9...it seems so far away and impossible to do, but I will do it!

The young Mama Bear!

New meat, new meat! Big grin Tongue I'm a big outdoor runner, so I'm going to be biased and tell you to stick with it. Yes, running in the heat sucks. Yes, the wind will try and knock you around. However, nothing beats being outside with nature and having time to yourself. Clearing your mind...relaxing while you're huffing and puffing. If you get bored, change the venue! The treadmill will give you pace but wouldn't you want to know you can do it outside, using only your body as a pacer? When you are done with a week, you should feel like you can do more but you wouldn't necessarily want to. You shouldn't feel like you're going to die, nor should you be in pain (runner's injuries are common, so keep a close eye on your body!) The weeks build into each other, so even if you feel like you can't you really can! I read this in a running book, but the author said "Get air in anyway you can. Whatever feels right." For me, that's breathing through both the nose and mouth. It gets the diaphragm open, and I almost never get a stitch. With that, welcome to the group! I think you'll find us to be quite an interesting bunch (at least I do Big grin)...stay a while. Oh, and no one can be as long-winded as me...don't you worry!
            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
              Welcome!!! Yea! The breathing thing strikes a chord with me. When I started C25K, my super athletic DH gave me the "breathing rhythm" advice. I just couldn't figure it out. Until...week 3. For some reason, I started running slower and everything fell into place. Run slower. Don't focus on breathing in. Focus on breathing out, ALL the way out. Push out if you have to. This worked for me (and eliminated stiches), and now I have my rhythm!! Keep us posted on your next run progress Big grin MTA: By run slower, I mean run slower even if you are getting rapidly passed by a extra large snapping turtle!

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

running buddies

Welcome Cyndi! Congratulations on all the good things you are doing for yourself! Your body is dealing with a lot of changes, so be gentle with yourself and take it slow. By take it slow, I mean both the running pace, and the moving from one week or run to the next. I also have never been a runner, despite trying multiple times over my life. This time seems a little different - I think this group has helped more than I realized it could. Also, I've never run so slowly in my life! But it's nice to finish a run and think - yeah, I could have kept going, but that's enough for today. I think every other time I ever tried to run I tried to go too fast and was always SO glad to be finished each time I ran. Pain is not motivating. When I do pay attention to my breathing (not all that often), I try to breathe for an odd number of steps so I'm starting a breath on the opposite foot each time. I'm breathing through my mouth now, but wonder what I'm going to do come winter and cold temperatures. Keep going! If I can get to week 8 of OHR, anyone can.
                "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                theyapper

On the road again...

Hey, Cyndi, and welcome to the group! I'm also an outdoor runner, so I'm kind of biased against treadmills (another story for another time). Wink I can relate to not being a runner - I hated running until I did the C25K and now I'm loving it. It is hard at times, but it is so rewarding in so many ways. It took me a couple of weeks to really feel like I "found my groove" with my breathing and pace. Don't worry, it'll come with time. Biggest advice I can give you is to run within yourself - don't try to go too fast or even as fast as you think you're supposed to. Take shorter steps than you might want to so that you lesson the stress on your legs. Relax your mind and your body will follow. You're ready to move on to the next week when it's Monday. Big grin

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

don't worry too much on what week your at and where you'll be next week! I've been stuck on week 5 for a while now! I just repeat until I can do it. The first time I did C25K it took me about 15 weeks, I just repeated the week when it was too much. the breathing thing I'm still a mystery, I usuallly get into a rhyme after a mile or so. So usually I just work through it. Oh and WELCOME!
                    -Jen
                    2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                      Thanks so much for the welcome and sharing some good tips! My third day went pretty good last night, and I am set to move on to week 2 Sunday! By the end of the workout yesterday, I did not feel like I could have added another 30 seconds to the 60 second jog, but I will at least try it and see what happens....at least there is a two minute walk to recover! I just feel good that I started this and that I am trying something completely new and different and challenging - I've always been slightly envious of runners looking all fit and strong, getting that 'runners high' you always hear about, and let's not forget the cool running gear! Cool Somewhere along the way I thought, why CANT I be in that club? I enjoy reading all the experiences here and it's nice to know I have somewhere to go when I'm looking for some good 'been there done that' advice! Thanks again!
                      hlfergus

I am a new runner too! It feels great, doesn't it? Big grin I love being outside running, even in the heat but I am a bit concerned about this winter. I am SUCH a chicken when it comes to cold weather and snow. lol Good luck and welcome!
                        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I am a new runner too! It feels great, doesn't it? Big grin I love being outside running, even in the heat but I am a bit concerned about this winter. I am SUCH a chicken when it comes to cold weather and snow. lol Good luck and welcome!
                          I have some worries about how I'm going to run in the cold too. Canadian prairie winter is very much winter and mild doesn't tend to be in the neighbourhood of words you'd use to describe it. Where are you from?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

erendis

having already fallen off track during a bad winter, i decided to invest in an elliptical machine. (at the time i was also having issues with impact, now i wish i'd gotten a treadmill instead) if you shop around, there are machines that are very reasonable in price, and remember - if it's going to keep you from going back to couch potato, it's a solid investment in your health! plus, it's always going to be cheaper than a gym membership in the long run. after doing alot of research, this is what I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-430-Elliptical-Trainer/dp/B000JF20LI be sure to look at customer and fitness reviews! sometimes cheap is not good!
                            I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
                            theyapper

On the road again...

I'm thankful that winter isn't much of an issue for me here in the Carolinas. Very mild, although their will be cold weather. I just won't have much snow to deal with. To the new runners, let me say again that you want to take it slow - don't rush yourself on the weeks or on your runs. Slow and steady wins the race! (and avoids injury) Wink

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Cyndi: How amazing that we are from the same state, we are the same age and our kids are very close in age Tongue I remember week 2 of C25K. We were in the Outer Banks, NC and I did my runs there with a friend. I remember feeling like I would die. And never thinking I could ever run for 5 minutes without dying. You will love it and crave it as you get going. As for the breathing, in the beginning, I just remember being happy that I could breathe at all while I was running. As I am now done with intervals, my breathing has kinda settled in on it's own. I do breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth. For some odd reason, I count to three on the inhale and the exhale so that it remains steady. It will come together for you... just keep being diligent... and the rewards will come. Before you know it you will be running 20 minutes straight Big grin I'm 12 days from my first 5K and so excited I can't even tell you! So, go slow and only do what the program says and no more. Keep moving from week to week as long as you can complete it and are not feeling pain. As far as weight loss.. it is a lifelong journey. 28 pounds down, 32 to go. My gym just had a big celebration party for me yesterday. It's fun to start to see the fruits of our labor Smile Best of luck in your journey!
                                Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.