Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Running, week ending 12/12 (Read 294 times)

So, how's everyone doing on C25K or OHR?  Obie, are you frozen yet?  Wingz, sticking to your schedule?

It's unually cold here in NC.  Supposed to be even colder tomorrow morning (Wednesday).

Ran in a wind chill of 16F this morning, talk about layering up!  Couldn't figure out how to dress.  Put clothes on, put more clothes on...pretty much got it right, as I didn't sweat too much.

Did week 5 day 1, which is 3-five minute runs punctuated by 3 min walks.  This was a really easy run for me, so I think that, tomorrow I'll go ahead with day 2.  Yes, I'm impatient!Blush

Michele in NC

Wingz

Professional Noob

I got hit by the Lazy Stick big time last week, and ended up only doing one run.  Well, you and I both know that you won't progress if you only run once a week.  So.... repeat of week 4 for me here.  Ran at home on the TM today, and it seemed harder than usual.  Dunno why.  I guess some days are just like that.  Or maybe it was the near week off?   Anyway, tomorrow's a lifting day, and then run again on Thursday.

It occurred to me that maybe I should think about picking out a race to help keep me on track.  I always loved races!

Roads were made for journeys...

obiebyke

Wingz, sounds like you know exactly what to do.

Michele, I've been chickening out and running inside. One track is ok--200m and good people watching. The other is 1/10 of a mile, canted, and terrible. Ran there yesterday and my time sucked. I think that track sucks the joy out of my soul and legs. Last time I ran on the 200m track, I picked up the pace for the last lap. It was fun! I figure just having a little fun doesn't count as forbidden speedwork. Right?

Careful about doing two days in a row! Take that recovery! And way to be hardcore with the cold!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Wingz, I'd be willing to bet that most of us (I've done my share) have repeated weeks.  Congrats for getting the motivation to run on the treadmill...I just can't do it!

Obie, be careful on those short tracks...are you able to run half your workout in one direction, and half in the other direction, or are you stuck with one-way?  You should be able to have some fun on your runs, now that you have some miles under your belt.  I'm hoping to run some fartlek workouts in the new year, maybe by mid-january.

Did Week 5 day 2 this morning, and did well.  Will repeat tomorrow.  Then comes the biggie this weekend, the 20 min running, no walking, workout...little nervous about that one!  I've done it before, though, so I know that I can do it again.  Mentally challenging, that's for sure!

I'm going backpacking in a few weeks, so I've been run/walking 5 days/week to prepare for it.  They had 18 inches of snow at elevation this past week where I'm going...it should be interesting!

Michele in NC

Repeated week 5 day two this morning, it was a balmy 24F! Smile  Looking forward to the mentally challenging 20 min run, no walking, tomorrow!

Michele in NC

obiebyke

Woohoo!

OHR W2D2 today. As in, more of the 30 minute thing. I was a little dumb--ran in 34 degree weather in a tshirt. Ah well. I had fun. It's starting to feel short, which is great. I'm going to be ready to up my time.

Glad you're feeling good about your running, obie!  That's a great feeling! 

No runs in the near future in shirt sleeves for me Sad

Michele in NC

20 min run with no walking, in the books!  hurray!

Michele in NC

obiebyke

Go Michele go! Nice job.

Hi guys i am actually a c25k grad but did it about 2 years ago and since then ive totally fallen away from running. I have an 11 month old girl now and another one due in may, so finding time to run has been hard and i feel like itll be next to impossible come may, but i want to get back into it. Im gonna restart c25k and start going in the ams before wife and baby wake up. Anybody else out there with new babies trying to fit running time in? Anyway hopefuly this forum will keep me motivated.....first run is tomorrow am!
                      2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year

Hope you were able to get out, obie...looks like there are blizzards where you are!

Welcome, eyedocguy!

I have done the c25k 3 or 4 times.  I finally fell off the wagon 4 years ago after running for 5 years.  I have always run in the mornings (5 am or earlier when training for a half).  I used to run early a.m. because I had soccer practices, PTA meetings, sleepovers, etc. with my kids.  Many times we were travelling with soccer, my husband and daughter in one direction and my son and I in another direction for the weekends.

My kids are grown now (18 and 20), but I still find that running first thing in the day is the best for me.  It's a habit...I accomplish something in my day before anyone else gets up, and I find that I don't want to run when I get home from work...there's just too many other things to do.

I've done the juggling, it's hard to get in the habit of getting out and running when everyone else is still snoring.  You may find, like I did, that lots of people are out running at that time of day, for the same reason as you!

Good luck, and whatever your decision, stick to it....you'll feel so much better, it's a great stress reliever.

Ran 20 min this morning in the absolutely pouring down rain to complete week 5.  On to week 6!  I don't think I'm going back to the walk breaks again, though...I think I'll run day 1 and 2 of week 6 at 22 min, then do the increase to 25 min on day 3.  I'll think about it some more, but this makes more sense to me then the way the schedule is written for week 6. 

Michele in NC

obiebyke

Welcome, eyedocguy! I remember you! Congrats on the kid.

Nice job, Michele. I can't run in the morning. When I do, they're my worst runs. I think my blood pressure and sugar are too low, partly. I'm a late afternoon runner, which makes races terrible!

No run today. Blizzards indeed. I dug two cars out from under the snow instead.

Thanks guys, I went out yesterday morning and did the first day of week one, it was good to actually get out and move again!

2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year
                            obiebyke

The OHR gods were against me today. Below zero weather, track was being used, so I did a mile on the treadmill (all I could stand) plus some weights. A workout is a workout, I say.

Yep, I hear you, obie, on the treadmill, yucky!  Hopefully the weather will break for you soon!

Eyedocguy, you finally got off the couch, hurray!  Now, do it again tomorrow! Smile

When I run in the morning, it will be a balmy 4 degrees windchill (17F temp).  At least there won't be snow!

Michele in NC