Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: Sept 28 - Oct 4 (Read 329 times)

iang999

Hi all, I'm new here and following this program to get back to fitness. Hope we all had a good week just past. I assume that as I am in the GMT time zone that is why I got here first to start the thread. Cool Picked up on week 3 as I had some base mileage in my legs and after one week just about feel OK. I think that I will extend for a week to make sure I do not do too much. Great forum here and I like reading about other's experiences.
    Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
    Keep running regularly 3 times a week
    Weight loss
    Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
    Get weekly mileage up to 20

Baby bean!

Was supposed to do W6 D3...didn't happen. So we just did 3.3 miles with about 3/4 of it running. It wasn't an easy day.

Goals:
      Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Welcome to the group, iang! A lot of people do repeat weeks in C25K. There's no hurry in it; take your time and you'll be running longer. Sushigirl, it happens to all of us. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Baby bean!

I just feel like it's happening a lot. I mean...is it possible that I am not meant to run more than 10 minutes at a time? Tongue

Goals:
          Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

dani_marie

iang99 - I repeated several weeks during the C25K. Actually it took me 12 weeks instead of 9. sushigirl- Weeks 5 and 6 were the hardest for me. It seems like there is a lot of progression in a shorter period of time (at least that's what it felt like to my legs). I ended up taking a whole week for each of the Week 6 "days." This is supposed to be week 2 of OHR for me, but I'm having some shoe issues so I don't know how much of it I'll be able to do. My old shoes were too small (apparently a classic newbie mistake). I went to my local running store last week to get some new ones, but the ones they sold me made my toes and ankles hurt after the third run in them. The store won't take them back. So now I'm trying Road Runner Sports over the internet. They have a program where you can run in the shoes for up to 60 days and if you don't like them, you talk to a "fit expert" and exchange them for another pair. I feel bad not supporting a local business, but the return policy at RRS is just too good to pass up. I have a new pair on the way, so I'm hoping they get here soon so I can take them out for a test run. PS - CanadianMeg you are such a fantastic ambassador to this user group. When I'm on other forums and I see a new runner, you are always right there inviting them to C25K Big grin
              Finished W5 of OHR today with a 38 minute run. Really not too much report: I feel like we are really settling in and feel like runners now. We also bought new shoes this weekend, as we had started C25K on old shoes. It was raining today so we didn't wear them, but Tuesday morning should be nice and dry!
              2008 Goals:
              1. Finish C25K
              2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
              3. Complete One Hour Runner
              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Finished W5 of OHR today with a 38 minute run. Really not too much report: I feel like we are really settling in and feel like runners now. We also bought new shoes this weekend, as we had started C25K on old shoes. It was raining today so we didn't wear them, but Tuesday morning should be nice and dry!
                If you get your shoes wet, here are the tips I've used and read both. Let them air dry and do not not not put them in the dryer. Let them dry naturally. (I found with one day off between runs, mine did dry.) If they are soaked, remove the insoles (if they are removable) to let them dry. Loosen the laces for max air flow. Stuffing the shoes with newspaper is supposed to help too but I've never tried that. It's also a good idea to wipe off any mud on the shoes too.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Wingz

Professional Noob

I just feel like it's happening a lot. I mean...is it possible that I am not meant to run more than 10 minutes at a time? Tongue
                  Nope. Not possible. Wink Think for a few minutes how far you've come already. If you can do that, you can do this! One bad day... or a string of bad days... does not DEFINE who you are as a runner. Only you can do that. Keep on truckin'! Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

iang - I took more than 9 weeks to finish, too. It doesn't matter how long it takes - the important thing is that you are moving forward! (And welcome!) sushigirl - we all have bad days. Don't let it get you down. You've come too far to quit now! dani-marie - good luck with the shoe issues. It makes a huge difference! I was supposed to do my last OHR run today, but I didn't get up in time to finish before some contractors show up at my house, so I'll try to get out later today. Have a great week, everyone!
                      Big grin I officially completed C25K yesterday! I'm so happy,,,if anyone had told me 9 weeks ago that I would fall in love with running, I would have laughed! All I can say is, this is just the beginning for me...I am hooked! My first 5K is October 25th, and I have 3 weeks of straight 30 minute runs (OHR) ahead to help prepare for that. My goal is to run outside as much as I can - I'm starting to get hooked on early mornings too which is awesome! It REALLY feels like 'me time' when I leave the house before anyone else is awake! In 9 weeks, I dropped 12 pounds, 2.5 inches off my hips, 1.75 inches from my waist. and 1" from my thighs. I sleep better, feel better - physically and mentally, I eat better, I parent better, I work better, I laugh more, I am more relaxed...I could go on and on! For anyone just starting out - believe me, if I can do this, anyone can! Even when you feel like you can't possibly do a run, just do it anyway! Whatever your reasons for starting this plan, keep your eye on your goals - running will lead you to it. 'Before/AFter' shots on my blog! Cheers all!
                      Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
                      jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Congratulations, Graduate! Welcome to OHR! What an inspiration you are to the rest of us. Keep going! Big grin
                        dani_marie

Wow CyndiKo!! That's awesome. You are such an inspiration.
                          iang999

CyndiKo, well done and all that weight loss is definitely something to look forward to. Thanks also to CanadianMeg, dani_marie & jb944 for support. In a way for me it will be a case of returning to something I know. What you mention CyndiKo are all the things I recall from when I started - heck - that was over 20 years back! I still treasure fond memories of superb runs on cool winter mornings with a frost covering everything. Absolute peace and the great feeling all over when you return and relax. That is what I want to get back as well as a figure that does not disgust me when I see myself in a mirror. I think this forum is great for providing ideas, support and also the training schedules. Bye for now.
                            Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
                            Keep running regularly 3 times a week
                            Weight loss
                            Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
                            Get weekly mileage up to 20

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

iang - I think it took me about 15-18 weeks to complete C25K the first time I did it so don't worry if you have to repeat weeks. I repeated week 1 3 times! And welcome! sushigirl - your doing great don't let some bad runs ruin it! Dani-marie - I'm shocked they won't take them back after 3 runs! Is it an actual running store or just a shoe store? I wouldn't support them either with a return policy that is non exsistent! pitters - way to go! can't wait until I'm in week 5 of OHR! jb - good luck with your last run and congrats! Cyndi - congrats! we had our graduating run on the same day! For me I've been busy and not getting out to run as much as I want so I compeleted my last run of C25K yesterday morning. It was not my best run, had to stop due to breathing issues! My asthma is allergy/sports induced only and I guess the air quailty is bad right now. I did have a FANTASTIC first mile though, honestly felt like I was on top of the world coming to my first mile in just under 10minutes! I was amazed and then within the next half a mile it all hit the fan and I'm leaning on a stop sign trying to breath! Do I have my inhaler with no, NAH I don't ever need it. So I walked about a 1/4 mile of my run and then took it really slow in the end but I finished that is whats most important right? I'll have a better first run of OHR!
                              -Jen
                              2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
                                Hi everyone! Cyndi and Jenni, excellent job in graduating! I happened upon this article in my local newspaper that made me smile since I could totally relate: http://www.vnews.com/09272008/5077592.htm I though other newbies might like it. I've totally crapped out on the running thing since my 5K on August 30th...yikes. First thing I'm going to do when I get home from work tonight though is to strap on those shoes and head out! I feel very healthy when I'm running regularly (even if I'm not eating great), and I want that feeling back!
                                2009 Goals:
                                PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                                Run a 10K
                                Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                                Complete my first Sprint Tri