Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week of 3/9 (Read 332 times)

obiebyke

I graduate today! Yes My Garmin is working again. It was, indeed, a quick fix. And check out my log for the day: I somehow knocked almost a minute off my usual pace, even though there was a headwind a good chunk of the way! I'm so proud, and starting to think this 5K might be halfway doable.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Julianne R

I graduate today! Yes My Garmin is working again. It was, indeed, a quick fix. And check out my log for the day: I somehow knocked almost a minute off my usual pace, even though there was a headwind a good chunk of the way! I'm so proud, and starting to think this 5K might be halfway doable.
      Congratulations on graduation ... and on your running. I did W5D1 today -- feeling fine. Hope everyone else is having great runs ... and a great weekend.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

It was soo lovely Thursday; I went for a run around the lake and was completely enjoying myself. Big grin Unfortunately, around 1 3/4 miles into it, my left calf started hurting! I don't know what's up with that. It was almost like I pulled a muslce. Sad I limped the rest of the way to the car, called out of my tkd classes, and limped around the apartment. It was feeling a lot better yesterday, but I gave it another day off. Today I'm feeling fine but I'm stuck at work all day... so... a treadmill run for me tonight! Got a new cat last night. Well, not exactly new. When I was married, we used to have 4. I took 1 with me at first. Then another came to live with me. This new one is one of the original four, but she doesn't remember my two boy cats. She's very nervous, so I've got her safely locked in a room by herself until she calms down some more. My "boys" are very curious... Wink Chickadee - good luck tomorrow! We do, of course, want to hear ALL about it! Big grin jb944 - you must've been really booking it during your running part to finish the 5K distance in 47 minutes! Shocked And I understand completely about the weather just draggging you outside sometimes. Somedays you just gotta run. Wink Just try not to overdo it, eh? Big grin obiebyke - I sure can imagine trying to jog with an extra 50 pounds... my poor knees! My poor heart! No wonder it was so hard! Congratulations on finnishing the program! Yes, a 5K is totally doable at this point! Yes Way to go! ladyveg - using your own music can be a lot of fun! I find I tend to run more slowly when I use my own music - it relaxes me and I forget that I'm supposed to be working out! Blush So when I want to make sure I keep the pace up, I use a fixed-tempo dance/techno mix from djsteveboy. Hope your weather is nice today for your run! Cool Julianne - what kind of injury had you had, how's the PT going, and how's running working with it? Inquiring minds want to know... Big grin Lancesmom - haven't heard anything from you lately! How's it going? How's that leg? Black eye You still lurking around here?

Roads were made for journeys...

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

obiebyke - congratulations on graduation. You should be proud! wingz - I'm not a fast runner - I'm a fast walker, so that helps my times. I also think it is much harder to keep that slow, LHR pace when I'm outside. Today I did the treadmill and had an easier time controlling my HR. I did W3D1 today since W2 seemed way too easy. Then I just walked until I hit the 3.1 mile mark on the mill.
          Wingz

Professional Noob

I did W3D1 today since W2 seemed way too easy. Then I just walked until I hit the 3.1 mile mark on the mill.
            While I understand that sometimes you may feel it's easy, my best advice to you would remain to NOT skip days. The reason is that it takes time for the legs - bones, joints, tendons, etc to adapt to the pounding that running does. Even if you're in great cardio shape, it's smart to give the body a chance to adapt to this new type of workout. You may be able to get away with it... but you also may not. Whatever injury you had, if it was enough to put you in PT for a few months and your idea with using the C25K program is to get back into running "safely" then I'd say it's in your best interest to NOT be pushing the running progression. You can still get a good cardio workout on the bike, right? It's not my intent to argue or preach, but I will tell you what I think. Tongue It is, in the end, your body.

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

wingz - don't worry - I just needed to move a little beyond the first 2 weeks. I am being very cautious and won't jump ahead any more. My 2 months of PT was due to not breaking in a new pair of orthotics (I didn't know you had to do this!). My ankles had started to bother me a bit in mid-December, so I went to my local running store to see if my shoes needed replacing - the shoes were fine, but the orthotics needed replacing, so they put me in a new pair - slightly different than what I had. I went home and ran 3.5 miles and felt fine until the next day when I could barely walk! Doc thought I had stress fractures in both legs - but luckily it was just tendiniitis. I now have custom orthotics for running shoes and dress shoes and wear a pair of shoes all the time. Actually, for the first time in my life, my shoes are comfortable! I stopped PT at the end of February (since I realized I could do most of it at home on my own) and am now working with my chiropractor for a bit of help - particularly with massage and muscle stim. Pain is mostly gone, although I do have a little swelling from time to time. Now that I've started running, I'm keeping my left leg wrapped again - just as a precaution. My right leg seems fine and hasn't bothered me at all for over a month now.
              Julianne R

" Julianne - what kind of injury had you had, how's the PT going, and how's running working with it? Inquiring minds want to know... Big grin " Smile A few years ago I slipped going down some icy steps. You name it, and I broke it. Was in the hospital for months. This was several years ago. Just about recovered completely. Now my PT is mostly on my shoulders/arms, and I've been given the go-ahead to do real exercise finally. So, here I am! Big grin
                Wingz

Professional Noob

Wow.; Smile It takes a lot of guts to recover and keep moving in a positive direction. May you end up all the stronger and healthier for your misadventure!

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Julianne - I'm impressed. Most people would use that as an excuse to sit on the couch for the rest of their life. Great job! W3D2 done. I have to admit I did an extra 90 second and 3 minute run because it was too cold to keep walking! I should have worn the under armour.
                    obiebyke

Oh my gosh, Julianne! I'm amazed at your positive attitude. I ran the full 5K distance without stopping yesterday, just to know I can do it. Mission accomplished! 36:09! My goal for Sunday's race is under 36:00. It hurt, and I hurt today, but at least I know I can finish. I plan to do 5K again tomorrow and then "taper" Friday with a 30 minute nice and easy run, so my legs are rested Sunday. Eek! Oh, and tomorrow and Friday I'm going to run before work i/o after, to get used to running in the morning. That is, if I can drag myself out of bed. I hate mornings. Sleepy

Wingz

Professional Noob

obiebyke - yay for being able to run the whole distance! And you're a lot faster than I was! (*jealous look*) (Just kidding! That's great!) Good luck this weekend if I miss your race! I'm heading out of town to go to the beach during spring break! Big grin BTW, I sent you an email yesterday. Let me know if you didn't get it. yanelh@hotmail.com -Janell

obiebyke

Have an awesome trip. Man, I can't wait to get outta Dodge. Emailed you back. Woohoo!