Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Week 02/12-02/19 (Read 268 times)

Okay... So at last I have written the topic-title correct I hope...

Over here, the week starts on Monday, not on Sunday, and we write the day before the month... hence my confusion in the previous weeks.

Today, I had to run 5x6 minutes with 1 minute of walking interval.

But I was trying out another training app on my Smartphone, and it was only after about a mile that I realized it was not registering my HR.  So I switched to my usual app, but of course I had been running to fast (I try to stay on MAF/180-age-5). 

After the switch, it was again a bit difficult to stay on 126 or below, and then I decided to discard my scheme, and just run slow until my HR was too high, and than going back to walking until my HR had lowered again.  That way, I eventually was able to find the right running pace.

I think that from now on I will try this approach, until I'm able to run for 30' without walking...

Running in Belgium
    Ann

W4D2 of C25K in the books, but this was again a tough run for me.  I ran this a little quicker than W4D1, so I need to slow down a bit and this will be more doable for me.  Having done this before, I know most of the battle is mental, but my sides were heaving on that last 5 min run interval!

Michele in NC

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Michele - slowing down is important in order to avoid injury and burnout. Stay easily conversational, being able to speak full sentences without gasping.

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

I think I finally found a tracking app for my smart phone that does exactly what I want: telling me often what my heartrate is, and when I'm coming into another zone...

And my run today went great... One of those runs that keeps me smiling for the rest of the evening...

I like running in the dark, running on empty streets, with only the distant calls of animals to hear  (towards the end of my run, I heard an owl...), not a single car passing by...

And running went smooth... it was so easy to stay in the right HR zone (thanks to the app I was using now), and I had the feeling I could go on much longer... But I'm really going to increase my mileage slowly, very slowly... So I did only the 35 min + 5 min warming up and 5 min cooling down...

Running in Belgium
          Ann

Slowed it down a smidgen today but probably not enough, even though I felt I was crawling!.  Finished up week 4.  Even though I had to tough the runs out this week, I'm going to go ahead and progress to week 5 and see how I do.

Michele in NC

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Michelle - try talking to yourself in complete sentences while running. If you can complete one or two without gasping, then your in the right conversational zone. Speed comes later in training, well after C25K and after building solid endurance base. Overuse injuries can result from running above the conversational zone to often.

bob e v
              2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Thanks for the advice, Bob.  I don't know how I could run slower!  Might get looked at funny if I start talking to myself while running (lol), but I get your point.

Michele in NC

Michele, I took a look at your logs, and I do runner slower than you do, so it is possible...

I must admit that it doesn't feel so good to run in the middle of the day ;-).

My last to runs I did in the evening, and since it's new moon, it rather dark here on the countryside, so nobody sees the snails overtaking me...

My pace today was even slower than on Wednesday, but my average heartrate was a little  lower, and I was only 17% of the time over 127 bpm, versus 26% of the time on Wednesday.

I ran 3 x 10 minutes today, and only in the last 10 minutes it was a bit more difficult to keep my HR below MAF.

And now two days of relative rest... Tomorrow I go shopping in Antwerp with my husband... that was the birthday-present he asked me: to accompany him on a shopping-trip. I'm indeed married to an exceptional specimen of the male population, who really loves shopping...

For the evening I've made a reservation in a trendy restaurant near Antwerp, that promises a light cuisine with lots of veggies...

I guess I won't feel like running on sunday...

Next week is 'Carnaval-break' for Belgian schools, so ds and dh don't have to go to school/work, and me too, I have a few days off...

Running in Belgium
                  Ann

I can only agree on running slower...finished week 1 of the program.  Graphs show I am running (during the run parts) the equivalent of 5mpm slower than back in October when I was seeing the physical therapist.

I also went to the gym (and still do on off days of running) and did elliptical workouts for about two months before re-starting training.

Ann - you should write the dates in what is normal for you and let us weird folks who write stuff backwards suffer....Big grin

Ann, I hope you had fun with your husband, and Happy Birthday!

Cagery, good job on week 1.  I find that the hardest part is getting started.

Couch to 5K program W5D1 for me, which is 5'run x 3'walk intervals.  I didn't find the runs that taxing today, as I'd done the 5' runs before and there was nothing new here.  I did manage to slow down a bit, though, and even ran over on time on that last 5' interval. That's better than feeling like I was gonna hurl at the end last week!

Michele in NC

Cagery, good job on week 1.  I find that the hardest part is getting started.

I don't have much of a choice...over the last two years, my feeble attempts to get running seems to have inspired a couple of my couch style friends...and now, three of them are preparing for half-marathons....gotta catch up with them...

three of them are preparing for half-marathons....gotta catch up with them...

Take care not to overdo!

Last year, some colleagues talked me into joining them for a half-marathon (when I was already training rather well), and I tried to go too far too soon... The result was that I felt so tired by mid-summer, that I withdrew my subscription for that half-marathon...

Running in Belgium
                          Ann