Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread July 28 - Aug 2 (Read 494 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Thought I'd go ahead and start this week's thread. This morning I ran my OHR W7D1 30 minute run. This is my "speed" day - when I take the shorter run of the program and work on speed. I started out way to fast and it really caused me to struggle through most of the first half, but I settled into a good rhythm at about the 16 minute mark. Finished up running 3.26 miles. Some runs are more fun than others, and this one was a grind. But...it's OVER!!! Here's to a great week!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

W8D3 pseduo-run last Friday afternoon. I was feeling better going into it, seemed like my shin splint issues were better than they had been...until I started to run. Made it 10 minutes before I could feel the pain starting (it still wasn't unbearable, but I could feel the beginning of it) and I said, the last time you ran through pain like this you benched yourself for a week and a half (that would be back in W3 when I hurt my knee). So I made the smart decision to stop them, hop on the bike for awhile so I could feel like I got my workout in, and call it a day. So I iced my legs that night, popped solve aleve. Woke up Saturday with very little residual pain (which is great cause normally it hurts worst first thing in the morning, walking downstairs)....then I headed out for a round of golf with DH and after 2 or 3 holes my legs were really hurting....I had to walk super slow and I was frustrated and pissed off all at the same time. Got better around the 9th hole and finished out 18 pain free. This morning I'm at the point I was last Friday (I think) in terms of what my legs feel like, so I'm going to take one more rest day and attempt W9D1 tomorrow. The last week! OMG I'm psyched that I made it this far, and just hoping and praying I can finish without injury. The most important thing though is to stay injury free, so I'm not going to push myself this week beyond what I think is safe. On a related note, my sister (a PT assistant) is going to show me some techniques for taping my legs to help with my 5K on 8/30. Unrelated tangent: Yapper, is that your dog in the picture? Hehe, looks just like mine all passed out in the comfy couch Smile
      2009 Goals:
      PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
      Run a 10K
      Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
      Complete my first Sprint Tri
      theyapper

On the road again...

JennerVT - smart moves on taking your time. It just isn't worth a long term injury. No, that's not my dog. Just a great picture. Tongue

Paul

Ran W3D1 (modified, accidentally ran 3 sets) of C25K with Copper this morning. I feel tired but not exhausted. Once again a truck whizzed by on short length of road that I cannot avoid and the dog ran into me. This time we were walking and no harm was done. I may have to switch to running earlier in the day or head to a track. Sad The good point there is that I would no longer feel compelled to check the progress on a decaying squirrel on that same stretch of road. Smile
            Just thought I'd let everyone know I'm still here. I had the week/weekend from hell at work, but I was able to get in three 20 minute runs and a walk with my DH. So, I still have two 25 minutes runs to get in to finish week 7. That's my goal this week. Sounds like everyone else is doing well. Keep up the motivation and find something to kick your energy level up this week...maybe a special treat mid-week???? (Mine's gonna be a hot fudge sundae on Wednesday.)

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

Hey Jenn - You and I are at exactly the same place in Cto5k! Regarding the shin splints: Somewhere on RA, I read the following advice. While sitting, keep your heel on the ground and tap your toes. I do this at work while sitting all day long and it's so simple and has really helped release the tension in those little muscles at the front of my lower leg and the result is that the feeling of having impending shin splints has gone away for me. So simple, but apparently effective. How often does that happen? Two other things that I did were to switch over to a local trail. It's partially paved and partially packed sand/fine gravel. I also got some superfeet greens to put in my shoes. At the end of W5, I was really starting to feel some pain in my knee, my PF was acting up a bit and my shins were starting to get sore. Those first five weeks were run on cement sidewalks (just about the hardest surface for running). I also got a foam roller, though I haven't been using that religiously. How did you do on that round of golf? I haven't played in a few summers - I had to back off because I was making myself crazy. The more I practiced, the worse I seemed to get. I just love going out to play on a quiet day, walking a pretty course, etc. I do miss it. Smile
              ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                My wife and I are doing C25K together. We ran W6D1 yesterday. I'm so happy that I found the program; I had run in my teens and always ended up with knee issues. So far, even though we have no choice but to run on concrete/asphalt during the week, I have no residual pain. We also signed up for our first 5K, held on 9/14/08. It's nice to set up goals past the end of the program to motivate us to keep going.
                2008 Goals:
                1. Finish C25K
                2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
                3. Complete One Hour Runner
                  My wife and I are doing C25K together. ...snip... We also signed up for our first 5K, held on 9/14/08. It's nice to set up goals past the end of the program to motivate us to keep going.
                  I wish my husband would have done the program with me. But he "hates" running! Or that's what he says. I think it's great that you two are doing it together - I'm sure it makes it easier when one or the other isn't quite into it on any given day. I totally agree with you about the race and long term goals. This is the third time that I've started Cto5k and the first time that I'm going to finish it (at the end of this week!). I have a race scheduled for September and some tentative goals for annual races that I'd like to do next summer. This is the first time I've done the program and logged it here online. I think the support from groups like this has also really helped me focus on staying with the program.
                  ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer
                    Mmmm...hot fudge sundae....what were we talking about? Blush Mary, thanks for the tips. I read elsewhere about the superfeet greens, may have to check them out. I do toe taps at my desk at work and that has definitely helped with the stiffness I used to feel along the fronts of my shins....my shin splints now are actually under my calves, deep in where the muscle attaches to the bone. Ouch. I've been running on the TM, which is pretty good since the good ones have some built in shock absorbing qualities, but I have to switch to the great outdoors at some point since I have my 5K Aug 30th. I live on a dirt road so that's what I'll be running on. The golf game went well....I kind of suck, I finished with a grand total of 108 (no idea what par was, I'm sure I was far from it). I usually figure it'll take me 2 over par each hole, and I think I ended up slightly better than that, so I was happy. It was a gorgeous day to just enjoy being outside, spending time with DH (he works 3rd shift, so the only time we have to spend together is on weekends). And actually, DH plays golf at least 2 or 3 times a week and I only shot 4 more than he did! Pitters, welcome to the group! It's so great that you and DW can do the program together. I'm trying to get DH to give it a try but thus far have been unsuccessful. There were definitely times throughout the program when I wished I had a partner to keep me motivated....it's great to have this group here so I can feel somewhat accountable.
                    2009 Goals:
                    PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                    Run a 10K
                    Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                    Complete my first Sprint Tri
                      Thanks for the comments! It's too bad that neither of your spouses have been interested in joining you on the runs. It definitely helps keep me honest and on-track. Another reason that we enjoy it is that that we both work rather long hours, so by running together we steal a little more time to be with each other. That makes it much easier to get up when the alarm clock goes off on running days.
                      2008 Goals:
                      1. Finish C25K
                      2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
                      3. Complete One Hour Runner

Tortoise

W5D2 is DONE! And you know what the best part was? I didn't think to check my watch until well into the sixth minute, either time. Krakatoa on Wednesday. Surprised
                        "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

theyapper

On the road again...

I didn't think to check my watch until well into the sixth minute, either time.
                          Oh, I LOVE when that happens. It's the best feeling when you forget about the time and when you look down you realize how long you've been running and that you're almost done! Good luck killing that 20 minute run. You'll do just fine.

Paul

More turtle than hare...

Hi everyone, just checking in. Despite a terrible, awful, no good week last week, I still got my 3 runs in. I figure that's a victory. Our little bunny, Benoit (the one in my picture) fell ill and had to be put down on Friday. It was terrible, he's been with my husband and I since we were dating (7 years!) and was a real part of the family. We're thankful he didn't suffer long, but we sure miss him. Now our other bunny, Sara, has been getting lots of TLC as she gets used to living solo. As far as running goes, I'm still trying to decide what to do next. OHR suggests a few weeks of 3 x 5k runs to start, so I'm just going to continue my base for a while. I'm not in a rush and I have no firm goals for now, slow and steady, I suppose.
                              W6D2 done today. A little rougher than I expected, but it was partially because I was running too fast by accident for part of it. I have to say that while I love the Ullerey podcasts in general, today's was a little scary. For the non-uniform weeks he does all 3 days in one - so after I'd started cooling down after my last run, and was fairly pooped, Robert popped into say "day 3, just a few more minutes left" and I was like... ugh can't wait for the 25 minute run day 3. Black eye On spousal running - My wife has no interest in running whatsoever which is kind of sad, as I think it'd be really fun to go on a nice long easy Sunday run together (you know sometime in the future when I can actually do a nice long easy run). But she does go the gym and hit up the eliliptical, do pilates etc. all the time and is honestly in way better shape than I am - she just thinks running really wrecks her knees. I think if she eased into it really slowly, she'd be fine... but I don't think I'm going to win her over anytime soon. Unlapsing - sorry about your bunny, that's really sad Sad
                              MoonStar

Unlapsing - sorry to hear about your bunny. My husband has 3 bunnies - one of them is the one in my avatar. Note on spouse's running - my husband was a sprinter for the highschool relay team 20 years ago. He decided to start running, yet again, after a several year hiatus. He didn't listen to my suggestion to start back slowly and after run/walking every day for the last few weeks has now hurt his knee again. He tries to sprint like he did in highschool and pushes himself to run maybe 9 minute miles which would in no way be compatible with my 12 - 14 minute miles as a jogging partner. Besides, we only have one treadmill... Hopefully he is able to start back again in a week or two and hasn't hurt his meniscus. Note of joy - finally under 250 today (was 247) for the first time in several years Big grin Think that exercise and water has made the difference in my forward progress this time. YEAH!! Hopefully things continue downward...