Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Do you run in the A.M. or the P.M.? (Read 248 times)

Baby bean!

I'm going to give the a.m. run a try tomorrow. Let's hope the alarm clock doesn't win. I'm just finding that my p.m. runs are sufferering A LOT and I hate it. My class is full of little energy vampires. I'm excited in the morning to run when I get home and by the time I get home, I fall asleep on the couch. So, when do you run?

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

It sounds like you would do better in the morning. I could never run in the morning, I am NOT a morning person. I even take my showers at night because if I never could get up early enough to take a shower in the morning. I am definitely a night person. I usually run after work. On the weekends I run late in the afternoon, depending on the weather.
      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I usually run in the late afternoon. However, with the hours of daylight getting shorter, I'll shift to running Wednesday-Friday-Sunday instead of my current Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday so I can do runs in the morning on the Fridays my DH isn't working. I do not look forward to running in the dark.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I've been going back and forth between running around 7am on Saturdays to 11am during the week, since I run on my days off from work during the week. Today, I ran after work, which was at 1pm. I thought it would be tough, but it was actually pretty good. Around 3pm is when I get sluggish. On the other hand, 7am on Saturdays is getting a little old, so I might change it to 8am, if time allows. How's that for an unclear answer? Wink

The young Mama Bear!

Mornings, anywhere from 7:30-9:30 in the morning. Empty stomach, too. I find that having nothing "sloshing" around helps.
            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
            erendis

During the week, I run at 5am with my husband. As I imagine even later in the morning will soon be pre-dawn, here are some tips. 1. Have a running buddy. We've all heard the horror stories about the lone pre-dawn jogger. Don't be that person! 2. Do a "practice" run on a weekend when you don't have to be to work at a certain time. That way you can figure out exactly how long it will take you to do things like get your sneakers on when you're just out of bed. It's longer than you think. 3. Commit to trying it for at least a week and don't let yourself quit until after your set trial period. The first few times are totally painful, but there's also that great feeling when you finish and at the end of your workday you go "oh wow I already did my exercise for the day!" 4. Only run on well-lit streets- drive around after sunset and map out a route. Some of the streets near me that have lamps are still very dark so we had to adjust. 5. Wear reflective gear or at least a white shirt. And if you listen to an ipod, only put one earbud in so you can hear what's going on around you. 5. Always run opposite traffic (so in the U.S., on the left side of the road) and be aware of the terrain next to you so if a driver doesn't see you, you can hop off to the side. Most of these are no-brainers, but they really do help!
              I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
              Wingz

Professional Noob

Anytime I can! But given my druthers it'd be late morning, ike 10 or 11 AM.

Roads were made for journeys...

Baby bean!

Erendis-great tips, especially about the trial one on the weekend. We have off on Veteran's Day, so I think I'm going to give it a try then. It's so hard lately to get in a run. Well, not hard, but rather, I come home so drained. Stupid question, but how early are you going to sleep for a 5 a.m. run? Also, do you go right out or do you do any prepping before you leave the house to go?

Goals:
                  Finish C25K

erendis

we go to bed an hour earlier on the night before our 5am runs- so about 9ish. before we head out, I drink a glass of gatorade to hydrate and get a little bit of sugar in the system. now that it's really freaking cold in the morning, we warm up inside rather than heading straight out. i march in place for a minute, do some jumping jacks, etc. for a total of 5 min or however long it takes to start feeling a bit hot indoors with my cold weather exercise stuff on, then we hit the streets!
                    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
                      I work Tuesday to Friday, and since I have - at least to European standards Wink - a long way* to drive to work, I run on Thursday around 7.30 PM. On Saturday and Monday I run around 8.30-9.00, after a light breakfast (e.g. piece of bread with jam). I have tried running on an empty stomach, but that really doesn't work for me. (*Do you know the difference between America and Europe? In Europe, a city 500 km away is far, far away. In America a city 500 years old is very, very old. My work is 50 km away, in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.)

Running in Belgium
                      Ann

Baby bean!

we go to bed an hour earlier on the night before our 5am runs- so about 9ish. before we head out, I drink a glass of gatorade to hydrate and get a little bit of sugar in the system. now that it's really freaking cold in the morning, we warm up inside rather than heading straight out. i march in place for a minute, do some jumping jacks, etc. for a total of 5 min or however long it takes to start feeling a bit hot indoors with my cold weather exercise stuff on, then we hit the streets!
                        Good ideas, especially about warming up in the house a bit. Thank you! Ann...that was one of the funniest things I've read in a long time! Big grin

Goals:
                        Finish C25K