Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

i feel stupid asking but... (Read 338 times)

erendis

what is a PR? i know it's "personal record" but when do you start counting these? races only? after a year? is there some special criteria?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso

The young Mama Bear!

Nope. I do PRs for my single-mile time, doing Weeks 6+ since I'm doing the same length of time, and just about anything else. It's a great motivator...you don't need to be competitive to do PRs -just competitive with yourself.
      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
      theyapper

On the road again...

When you're logging your runs, if you choose "race" as the type of run, it automatically gives you the option to enter personal records. Some only use the race category for actual races, others use it for entering their "fastest" runs if it happened on a normal run. Personally, I only enter records for actual races. Hope that helps!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Goddess is fast! (Posting and running!!)

Paul

The young Mama Bear!

Goddess is fast! (Posting and running!!)
            Lies!
            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
            erendis

thanks guys! once i reach 3mi, i'll start keeping track more thoroughly so i'll know when i have a PR Smile
              I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
              Wingz

Professional Noob

Just keep in mind that generally speaking it's NOT a good idea to try to beat your times on training courses. That is the perfect set-up for training too hard... leading to injury. RACES are where you give it your all and try to beat your previous times. Training is for training... which should be nice and easy, not hard and going for time. Not that I listened to this advice when I was new ... Blush

Roads were made for journeys...

theyapper

On the road again...

That's a great point wingz, and further proof of why your presence is always needed here Wink

Paul

erendis

ooh in that case... i've already signed up for a 5k at the end of September (about a month after I will have finished c25k). My goal for that month is to get comfortable enough with running 5k that I have some kind of respectable time (as in not last) in the race. any suggestions on training routines?
                    theyapper

On the road again...

Well, at the end of C25K you will be running 30 minutes without walking, so I would suggest you do that 3 times a week for the weeks between ending C25K and the race.

Paul

The young Mama Bear!

ooh in that case... i've already signed up for a 5k at the end of September (about a month after I will have finished c25k). My goal for that month is to get comfortable enough with running 5k that I have some kind of respectable time (as in not last) in the race. any suggestions on training routines?
                        Tapering. Regular, 3 miles runs paired with long runs of about 5 miles once a week (that's just an example), and a week or two before the race you will be doing LESS mileage than the race you're training for. Doing more mileage than the race you're training for trains your lactate and cardiovascular systems to acclimate to the distance allotted. If you can run 5 miles, you can obviously do 3.1, so that's half the motivation right there. Those numbers can be modified, of course. Even if the long runs are 3.5 miles, it'll train you just the same. Just listen to your body. I've found a great training "coach" on Runner's World that will give you a training schedule based on what you want, and I think I'll be doing this once I'm done with C25K. http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smartcoach/1,7148,s6-238-277-278-0-0-0-0-0,00.html
                        Wingz

Professional Noob

Generally speaking, you don't need to taper for anything shorter than a half-marathon... which needs about a 1 week taper. You taper 3 weeks for a full marathon. (Not that I've ever run a full marathon, lol!) I agree, though... being able to run 5 miles does indeed make 3.1 seem a lot less intimidating! Big grin erendis, for you right now I'd vote with yapper on this one... by the end of the program you'll be running 30 minutes 3 times a week. Are you currently running at a "conversational" pace where you could easily hold a conversation with someone? If 11 1/2 minute miles are conversational for you, you should be able to finish your 5K in under 30 minutes. Keeping on running for 30 minutes three times a week should be enough to let you have a successful 5K race, and gives you one less thing to worry about! Keep up the good work!

erendis

thanks so much for all your help! i can't wait for the race Smile

The young Mama Bear!

Generally speaking, you don't need to taper for anything shorter than a half-marathon... which needs about a 1 week taper. You taper 3 weeks for a full marathon. (Not that I've ever run a full marathon, lol!)
                              Haha, I like to make 5Ks sound even more hardcore! Wink
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

Haha, I like to make 5Ks sound even more hardcore! Wink
                                Being able to run a 5K is awesome! There are so many people out there who can't even come close! Remember where you started from and you can see how far you've come!