Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly update thread: Aug. 17 - Aug. 23rd (Read 484 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

I did my OHR W10D1 run tonight and HATED it. Angry I don't know what it is about the Monday runs the last few weeks, but they have been the worst. I think I just need to quit trying to increase my speed on these training runs and relax. My legs felt SO heavy today, and it was literally all I could do to not walk during the run. Thankfully, I didn't. I ran the whole stinkin' 30 minutes. Of course, to celebrate my awful run, I turned around and ran the C25K W4D1 with my son. He did awesome!!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I'm in a quandry...Just had a 'blonde' moment...I just pulled out my notes to refer to the Week 3 workout before I start it in a few minutes. Well, you may recall that I just posted earlier today that I repeated 'Week 2' while away on vacation, but with some tweaks to the plan? Well, as I am reading Week 3's workouts - I discovered that my 'tweaks' basically translated to Week 3! Confused I had it in my head that Week 3 was 6 intervals of 3 minute runs...and here it turns out it is is actually TWO 3 minute runs with the remaining 4 intervals at the same 90 seconds, and then a shorter walk recovery in between. What I did last week was 6 intervals, 4 at 90 seconds, one at two minutes, one at three minutes and then a shorter walk (1 minute) between all intervals. I even ran a hill, and ran at a quicker pace. I'm thinking I can move on to Week 4 then? Any thoughts on this? Just crazy how I looked at this and here it's exactly what I did anyway! My body was obviously ready for it I guess! Someone should have knocked me across the head - I feel kind of silly. Obviously I don't like to look ahead too much to each week so I don't psyche myself all out...like here today I've been psyching myself up all day for 3 minute intervals and now in the next 10 minutes, I'm going to run 5 minutes straight and a total of 16 minutes. NICE, how's THAT for changing gears? Here I go, on to week 4 and it's a good thing I don't have time to think about it!
      Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
      erendis

hey erendis... i totally agree on rain running... you do get those looks of respect and omg are they nuts??? yeah baby!!! oh when I first started running I also gained 6 lbs.... but then I turned around and lost 10 in three weeks and still losing... scales suck... just go by your clothes...the way they feel... i know hard to see the #### on the scale but measure yourself differently if you can stand it... i can't i am a hard core scale junkie... and rain runner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big grin
        thanks for all the words of support- meg and goddess too! i DO feel better in my clothes- i have a jacket that was always too tight on the arms that i can actually put on now (let's not talk about buttoning it yet though), and pants shopping put me down into the perfect size 10 again after 2 years of size 12. i look rounder in the tummy area in the mirror, but here's hoping its that bloat thing before it drops! cyndi- give week 4 a try! if it seems too hard, drop back to week 3, its all good just get out there!
        I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
          Yapper ~ Let me make sure I got this straight...you ran Week 10 Day 1 for 30 minutes, and THEN also ran Week 4???? Shocked You animal. I just completed my 'surprise' Week 4 workout and it was by far the hardest so far. I did it to the letter though, which makes me feel good. Funny how C25K is structured so you are running just enough , like that last minute is the absolute last minute you could possibly do, and then it's done! Anyway, I'm feeling more 'legit' now that I can run longer than 90 seconds! Erendis ~ My clothes are already feeling different on me, and I've made a pact with myself not to get too hung up on the scale. I just read that running builds blood volume and all that 'stuff', as well as shifts your hormones a bit etc. So give it time to level itself out. (I will remind myself of this when I get stuck ha ha!) Ok, well thanks to all for tolerating my flakiness today...but Week 4 Day 1 is DONE!
          Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com

The young Mama Bear!

Paul, I'm sorry...but that angry face just made me laugh. I know how you feel - The Run From Hell runs rampant. Luckily, I can tell you that I bounced right back. So will you. Cyndi, move on! I'd only suggest repeating weeks if you have a difficult schedule, you're hurting somewhere or well...you're dead? Believe me, you're more than prepared to make that hop to the next week. Trust me on this one. Oh yeah, and what Paul did is admirable...but all of us graduates should be able to do it. (Not downing Yap over here, but he's also at the level where he's been running 45 minutes at a clip. It's doable for him!) You'll be there in no time. Erendis, HAHA. I feel like my stomach isn't going down but my clothes tell me a different story. All of the clothes that were too tight fit now. I also try not to weigh myself more than 4x a week. It keeps the OCD off your eating and you can breathe easy! Congrats on the accomplishment. Smile
            Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
            Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
            theyapper

On the road again...

Yapper ~ Let me make sure I got this straight...you ran Week 10 Day 1 for 30 minutes, and THEN also ran Week 4???? Shocked You animal.
              I really hesitated to post this run just because I know how it could sound. "Oh, poor thing. You only ran 30 minutes straight? That's just awful. Wink " I don't mean to make it sound light, because I remember being in the early stages of C25K and thinking that I'd be thrilled to live through the 5 or 8 minute runs, let alone a 30 minute run. So, I know how my "rant" may sound, but I also want new runners to know that bad runs happen know matter what level you may be on. I'm sure that my next run will be better. Oh, and thanks for calling me an animal. I almost spewed coffee on the screen when I read it!

Paul

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Cyndi, you are cruising now! This program really is structured to not push you too far too fast. Soon you'll be over the halfway mark and looking back at how far you've come! Wink Paul, you've heard my philosophy on that before. Bad runs teach you to appreciate the good runs.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

zzz

Bad runs teach you to appreciate the good runs.
                  hear hear!!! amen to that.... had a sucky run last night.... last 4 runs have been awesome and then last night!!
                    Ran W9D2 this morning. In these 30 minutes, we covered 2.95 miles. Pretty close to a 5K!
                    2008 Goals:
                    1. Finish C25K
                    2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
                    3. Complete One Hour Runner

More turtle than hare...

Bad runs teach you to appreciate the good runs.
                      hear hear!!! amen to that.... had a sucky run last night.... last 4 runs have been awesome and then last night!!
                      I'm with you guys. I had been feeling worn out and took it easy last week and today week I was reluctant to get out there. (I had a weekend of heavy food and partying at my SIL's wedding Roll eyes ) But I went out this morning and now I'm feeling so good. A bad run is better than good sit on the couch.
                      CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

A bad run is better than good sit on the couch.
                        Another great line. So true! Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

W3D2 start2run My son (11 y.o.) ran with me again... Oh those kids... He was so talkative, I think he has explained every single detail of the online game he likes to play. I hardly had the chance to say 'yes' or 'no'... At least his condition is excellent! (I promissed him we will run the 'bos-loop' (woods' run) in november, a race of 3, 6 or 9K here in our town.) (Edited for spelling error)

Running in Belgium
                          Ann

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I ran my hottest run yet today. Humidity felt like 95*F. I came in at 30 minutes instead of the 35 I wanted to do today. I hit a decent pace and the run was just a bit longer than what I want these days minimum, but I got my run in. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Ran W5D2 with Copper this morning. Copper was trailing behind on the uphill as he usually does and I just couldn't make it up so I walked part of the first interval. I'm not dragging him up but there is definitely tension on the leash. Sad Most likely I am just going too fast.
                              theyapper

On the road again...

Good job, Meg, for grinding it out in the humidity. My run this AM was much better than Monday's. Of course, I made sure to get out the door before 6 am so I could beat the heat. Humidity, though, was close to 100%. Shocked I rather enjoyed this run. Tried to keep a nice relaxed pace and was able to do that. Picked it up a bit at the end with a sprint, but overall a nice run. Now, it's time to get ready for... My final run of the OHR program on Friday!! 60 minutes to completion!!

Paul