Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly update thread: Aug. 17 - Aug. 23rd (Read 484 times)

erendis

ran week 8 day 2- i was surprised to find that when i mapped my route, it was the same length as monday. today's run felt much weaker and more difficult than monday, so i assumed i had run less far. it must be the time of year for bad runs i suppose. i had a side stitch literally the instant i started running, and it lasted for almost 5 min, went away, then came back 10 min later. i used to get them all the time, but at the end of a workout, never at the beginning. any tips?
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Finally got out last night and ran Week 7 Day 1 of C25K. I hadn't run since Friday and I was itching to get out! I tried my new marathon girl skirt on for the run and had a great time!
      -Jen
      2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
        Hooray! Back on schedule, W9D1 completed last night! I'm so excited to finally be back on track and pain-free, and completely freaked out about the 5K I have coming up in (gasp!) 10 days since my 30 minute run last night only carried me 2.5 miles....oh well, if I was in a race situation I feel like I could have managed another .6 miles without dying. Anywho, the run went well, the last 3 or 4 minutes were a real aerobic challenge but I made it Smile erendis-it looks like of silly, but putting your arms over your head helps with side stitches....I used to like, bend my elbows at 90 degrees over my head and kind of lay my hands on the top of my head until the stitch went away.
        2009 Goals:
        PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
        Run a 10K
        Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
        Complete my first Sprint Tri

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

I agree with above, bent arms above the head (actually I kinda rest them on top towards the back of my head) and then I gently pull to the opposite side of my stitch. My allergies have been horrible lately, could that have something to do with it?
          -Jen
          2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!

running buddies

Ran W5D2 with Copper this morning. Copper was trailing behind on the uphill as he usually does and I just couldn't make it up so I walked part of the first interval. I'm not dragging him up but there is definitely tension on the leash. Sad Most likely I am just going too fast.
            You had to pull your dog along?! I have to use pinch collars to prevent my dogs from dragging me along on my stomach! Tell Copper to HTFU. Wink Yapper - looking forward to hearing about the big 60 on Friday.... Enjoy it! I know I'm a graduate, but you folks are all so nice, I may hang out here occasionally and cheer you on. Your progress from couch potatoes to runners is fun to watch. Cool
            "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
              Finally done with week 5 plannig to start week 6 tomorrow. 2 miles was hard buut after the first it got easier. my mom stopped after about a mile and a quarter. i went the whole way.
              Goals: Run.
              theyapper

On the road again...

Yapper - looking forward to hearing about the big 60 on Friday.... Enjoy it!
                I will. Can't wait. I've already got my new avatar image ready to upload. Big grin

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I know I'm a graduate, but you folks are all so nice, I may hang out here occasionally and cheer you on. Your progress from couch potatoes to runners is fun to watch. Cool
                  Here, here! I think this group needs the grads around too! A bit more running knowledge isn't a bad thing. Smile Paul, your last OHR run already? Wow! I hope it's a really enjoyable one. Olivia, way to stick it out for the full 2 miles. Smile I get a stitch in my side if I'm going too fast and not getting enough oxygen. I find taking a few deeper breaths and breathing out hard really helps. A few breaths and i'm back on track. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I finished week 6 today! I still can't believe I ran for 25 minutes. Well actually I cut it a minute short becuase I got to the end of my loop and I would have had to go up the hill towards our house and I just couldn't do it. It's a monster of a hill one block long. We call it Martha the bitch. Big grin I had thought about running it really slow... but the last 8 minutes of my run were in the sun and it was really hot and humid today so my face and body were just radiating heat. My face felt like it was on fire. the first 18 minutes or so felt great. I kept my breathing steady and my body relaxed. I still can't get over I can run for 2 miles without stopping!! The last 8 minutes were hard but I did it. Even my husband was impressed. He ran 10 miles the other day so I always feel kind of dumb saying "yay I ran 2 miles" Tongue He is proud of me though so it's nice to have his support. He thought I would give up on C25K a long time ago. Ha. It sounds like we have all had some difficult runs this week, but it's so great to come here and find everyone so supportive and to know we aren't alone. When I'm having a bad run day and it feels like it can't get any worse, I remind myself if I feel it can't get worse it can only get better. I also try and think about how great running in the fall and the fog. I can't wait!! I have also been trying to loose weight and found that measurments are the best "scale." I have lost a lot of inches since I started this program, and I'm only just starting to loose actual poundage. I do like measuring myself each week becuase I'm alway surprised at the results. Even a half inch is great! runswithdogs - Poor copper. Smile haha the image in my mind is just hillarious. I wish I could take our dog with but it is just to hot. She is an Alaskan Malamute so she really can't run until it's under 45 degrees. when it gets colder my husband and I are going to run with her so she can train for skijoring in winter! She needs to get into shape too. Smile
                    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Mimi, I agree that clothing fit and inches are the way to measure. WohooO for the 25 minute run! You are doing awesome. Sure, your husband ran 10 miles the other day, but never forget that he had that day once when he was celebrating hitting the two mile run. I know it's hard to keep that perspective sometimes, but try. Don't ever feel silly you only got 2 miles in. Not long ago, you weren't a runner. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

We completed C25K this morning. We lucked out: it was about 62* or so this morning, probably the coolest run we've had yet. It was exciting to finally hit a <10:00 minute mile pace. :d minute="" mile="" pace.=""></10:00 minute mile pace. :d>
                        2008 Goals:
                        1. Finish C25K
                        2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
                        3. Complete One Hour Runner
                        zzz

great job!!!! congrats!!!
                            hey guys, I haven't been around in a while just because of super business, but I'm starting to get back into the swing of running again, and I'm up to running about 30 minutes straight now. Whoever does the graphs, could you add me to the OHR graph? I'll be starting OHR week 4 on the next run I do. I hope thats ok!
                            2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year

More turtle than hare...

I just got back from the best run I've had in ages. Which is funny, considering I've totally been slacking off lately. Undecided Last night, we went out to a popular diner here for supper and I had what's called the "Hangover Breakfast." Yup, that's bacon, eggs, baked beans, toast and poutine (a Canadian specialty of french fries, cheese curds and gravy.) I don't know what I was thinking at the time (I wasn't even hungover!) but I certainly wasn't thinking of today's run! But, when I finally dragged my body out of bed and into my sneakers, it was a beautiful day! My pace was good, my breathing was steady, I could have run forever! Maybe all that grease from last night lubricated up my joints? Confused In any case, I won't be eating one of those again any time soon - I think it's time to get some vegetables into me... Congrats pitters on completing! What a victory!! And Yapper, you're almost there!
                                I completed D2W4 last night. I almost skipped it, or at least put it off to this morning - but I managed to do it thanks to some gentle nudging from the Husband. School has started, and with it all kinds of craziness, so eventually I will need to move some or most of my runs to the early morning. I pretty much have decided that at least until I get through C25K and establish the base fitness level for running, I will need to have an absolutely justifiable reason to skip or put off a workout! Mimi ~ I agree...the inches lost makes all the difference and it's amazing even 1/2" can be a significant loss! I am dropping about 1-2 lbs per week so far, for a total of 6 pounds, which doesn't seem to be a lot but I am already getting 'looks' from people and vague comments like 'you look well' etc. Pitters~ Congrats on finishing! Well done! Unlapsing ~ I have read that one can have the best runs after 2 or 3 days (or more) of rest. The body apparently does some 'rebuilding' during that time, which of course explains the need for a rest day in general. Glad you got that good run in!
                                Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com