Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread Aug 3 - Aug 9 (Read 564 times)

redleaf

Wow - there's so much here it's hard to respond to everyone! I'm amazed at everyone's ability to persevere - when there's outside problems, when others complain, or when you just don't want to go do it! Congrats to all who have reached milestones too! Big grin I'm 2 days through week 5 of my 13 week program. I'm aiming it finish week 5 tomorrow! Today is a rest day for me.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

ernsberger I hope things turn around soon for you! Just hang tough. CyndiKo congrats and welcome! meewolfie congrats on your grad run! woohoo you go girl! Big grin ChupChup I hear you on the humidity, it's a killer somedays! all4 and Jenner you guys can do it, just take it easy and don't push too much. If it hurts rest it! You'll graduate soon enough! goddess9 wow way to go! you rock! mimi73 sounds like you've had one crazy summer! glad to see you back! turtlechick hope you and laurie are back out and running soon, sick babies is never fun! oliviars22, people advance at different levels, maybe your mother isn't as ready to move on as you. Is it possible to run alone? Is it boredom why you run or is your mother protective and doesn't want you to physically run alone? With school starting can you find a friend your age that you can run with? High School track (cross country in the fall) is a great sport to get into! good luck! As for my update, I ran W6D1 Monday and running W6D2 tonight. I have gotten beyond the hurddle that was stopping me and I am free and clear to finish C25K. Nothing is going to hold me back anymore, I have finally got my steping and breathing in check. Now I just have to run more and train my body to go up a steep incline I should measure it to see just how steep it is but it's a good 1/4 - 1/2 mile incline! woohoo it kinda hurts going up if I'm not warm enough but when I done I feel such an accomplishment!
      -Jen
      2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
      theyapper

On the road again...

Everyone is doing great. oliviars22, hang in there. If I can encourage you in anything, it's to not let someone else hold your physical health hostage. If she doesn't want you to go alone, offer some creative solutions. Maybe you can go in your neighborhood or on a track where she can walk when she needs to and still see you while you're completing the C25K workout. Her seeing you stick with it when she knows how hard it is may be all the prompting she needs to decide to do it for herself. I just finished up my OHR W8D2 run. Today, I conquered THE HILL! It's a long, very steep hill in our area and I hit it right in the middle of my run...and I ran it!!!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ex-Smoker turned Runner!

Way to go running the hill!
          -Jen
          2010 Goals! Get back into running after having my son miles miles miles!
          erendis

just got done with week6 day2. it was raining pretty well but i went anyway! i think the excitement of running in the rain like a "real runner" plus my strength on monday caused me to start a little faster than i should have. the result was not ending as strongly, as in "omg, why hasn't the podcast ended yet!!" on the plus side, i was reading about fartlek training, and i was excited about the idea of running faster for just a little while being ok- so i did that a bit too, during the first 10min interval. i found that when i tried to match the form of those fast runners, it's exhausting but feels more stable somehow. when i slow down, i tend to favor my right side and i'm not sure why. i feel a little bit like the hunchback of notre dame shuffling down the sidewalk. Clowning around i also had the pleasure of jogging past a group of ladies with very fancy running suits on who were holding umbrellas and walking down the path. i ran past them about 5 min before halfway through my routine, then passed them again after i turned around and ran back. they were probably like "hey look! its that hunchback chick again!" no weight lost this week, but the analyzer says i lost .5% fat ! so that's something, right?
            I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
              Hi everyone, My W2 D2 workout was not so great last night, but I managed to get through it and just that in itself is an accomplishment! It was just one of *those* days where little things added up to a hard workout. It was very muggy, the track smell with the heavy humidity was getting to my lungs a bit (wheezy), I didn't stretch as well as I normally do, so my left knee was rebelling a bit. But I did get through it without modifying anything - with lots of positive self talk and a surprise vist by my 13 year old and her friends! (see my blog for that fun story....) I lost another two pounds this week, yes! Big grin I'm even starting to shrink a little bit too! Gotta love it! Hope you all have a great day! I love reading everyone's successes AND the hard stuff...because the bottom line is, everyone manages to power through it and that's what is so great about this sport!
              Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
              jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I'm back, but I have a lot to catch up on here. You all have been doing great! Last week was our bike trip in Wisconsin. My final total was 286 miles in 5 days. I skipped biking on Thursday, as we had a layover day in Baraboo and the 40 mile route that day was very hilly. I also had to sag in on the last day after 38 miles. Unfortunately, I did not sleep well the entire week and by Saturday, I just didn't have the energy to continue. That was a bit of a disappointment, but on the other hand, 286 miles is the most I've ever done in one week. Longest day was a bit over 70 miles! So, after taking a couple of rest days, I went out for a run yesterday and went 20 minutes non-stop in the heat/humidity. This was after not running for about 6 weeks. My plan is to get back up to the 30 minutes and then re-start OHR. Hopefully it won't take too long. It felt good to be back out running again.

The young Mama Bear!

I lost another two pounds this week, yes! Big grin I'm even starting to shrink a little bit too! Gotta love it!
                  Running for weight loss is the best, am I right? I'm losing about the same amount you are, and I'm bigger than you! What's your secret? Tongue I'm so glad everyone is out there kicking some tail. Smile W8D3 = tutti finito...finalmente! Big grin I've been tinkering around with different shoes, and I went back to the old shoes I was using in W1-W2. Though it is MUCH too small for my foot, I have no pains whatever. Literally. The shoes were much lighter, too, and it felt so nice to not run with bricks! I think that my foot doesn't need that motion control to begin with, just guidance. I'm buying a new pair ASAP. It was SO HOT today. I can't stand running in the heat. I missed a day a few days because of something that totally escapes me, so I figured I'd double up and take tomorrow off to make pace. Wasn't such a bad run for having done 30 minutes yesterday. Covered about 2.28 miles, a little more than yesterday. Hopefully I can add tiny increments until I'm up to 3! I had to stop for about 10 seconds, though. My laces came undone (which never happens with my Brooks but always happens to my NBs and my brother's trainers) and I tied them real quick. Does it still count? Confused
                  Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                  Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                  theyapper

On the road again...

I had to stop for about 10 seconds, though. My laces came undone (which never happens with my Brooks but always happens to my NBs and my brother's trainers) and I tied them real quick. Does it still count? Confused
                    Sorry. You must now repeat the program.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

W1D2, in my program that means 1min run, 1 walk, 2 run, 2w, 2r, 2w, 3r, 3w, 3r, 3w... My DS 11 joined me, as he says 'I have to be in good condition for our 12 min run when school starts again'. He not being in good condition? He really did his best not to run faster than I did, but in the last 3 min run, he asked if he could run to the bridge (we run allong the canal) without waiting for me... But I feel good... although I should have done some stretching before: my hamstrings felt very tight during the first part of my run.

Running in Belgium
                      Ann

The young Mama Bear!

Sorry. You must now repeat the program.
                        ROFL. I fail.
                        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                          I just read online today that running intervals burns fat 3 times faster than slow running. Not good news for us slow runners. I might give it a try though. Here's the link: http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100212332>1=31036
                            Hi everyone, sounds like you're all doing great as always! I just knocked off W7D3 tonight... 2 more weeks to go Cool
                              W4D1 today. Me and my sister went without my mom because she was sick. I like running with my sister because she is more fun. I'll probably have to do four workouts this week though. The half mile sectinos were fun. I could actually do it. My sister couldn't though.
                              Goals: Run.
                                Confession: I fell in love. With both running and a boy. I got carried away... and finished OHR two weeks early. I know it was rash and not recommended but I was talking on the phone and the run was feeling so smooth and I just kept going. So... that's my story and my warning. Don't talk to wonderful men while running or you'll forget to stop.
                                You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here