Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread Aug 3 - Aug 9 (Read 564 times)

Also, what 5K are you doing ? I'm hoping to be ready for one on October 19th, that would be my 'run a 5K without dying' goal like yours. But my 'run a 5K in 30 miuntes' goal will be the Turkey Trot in Avon.
    I am doing the Lexington Blueberry Festival on August 16th. Funny that you are going on vacation during an early week. I was in the Outer Banks, NC during my 2nd week. The heat and humidity was awful, which then made week 3 seem not so bad. I agree with Lauren, do what you feel in your body is necessary, but know that if you choose to move to week 3, your body has been preparing the last couple of weeks to carry you through Cool
    Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.

Tortoise

W6D3 is done. I've been terribly absent this week. There was dead internet (skeptical about claims that it had 'something to do with the weather', as I find it unlikely that clear, warm, sunny weather interferes with a DSL signal), and life issues (anyone have a flat in Glasgow they'd like to rent me?), combined with what's felt like a generally sucky week, running-wise. I'm not sure why. It actually felt easier today than it did on either of the run/walk intervals this week. I turned the timer off on my watch like I did for the 20 minute run in Week 5, and I'm sure that helped. I was very conscious of having an eye on the time on Sunday and Tuesday, and it didn't feel good. Hopefully this was just a bad week and the next one will be better -- and, hey, I know now that I can run for 25 minutes, which means that I can absolutely do Week 7, and, bad week or not, it does feel great to know that I'm done with the run/walks!
      "It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside you that wants you to quit."

theyapper

On the road again...

Good job, sefkhet! Getting through Week 6 is a HUGE accomplishment.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

The young Mama Bear!

sefkhet, congrats! That's a big goal attained right there! I bet that sometimes you will miss those walk breaks (I know I did today!) W9D1 e' finito, and boy am I glad! First off, I ran at a different time of day - right around now - instead of 11 AM. It was nice and cool since it had just rained and that was a great change from the SCORCHING HOTNESS that 11 AM-noon usually offers. More cars though, which is a definite annoyance. I also went back to my Brooks for the time being since my old NBs gave me a black toenail! (Don't wear shoes half a size too small if you have a long second toe, guys. Blush) I need a new pair of shoes STAT...my old shoes never gave me pain but everytime I jog in my Brooks I get some sort of knee pain. Not good. The lesson of this story is: don't hang onto a pair of shoes that aren't right for you, even if they carried you through most of C25K. Focusing on distance instead of time made things easier. Thinking just one more mile! is easier on me than 13 more minutes! And the other good thing is that I think I'm getting used to the 30 minutes of running. For W8D2 and W8D3, I jogged 30 minutes. Might have helped me out. All in all, everyone looks more than able to get through their prospective hurdles. Yes
          Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
          Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
            CyndiKo - I have repeated every week at least once! there is no shame in repeating. I repeated week 4 at least 4 times I think. I repeat for the same reason as you. I just want to run each week comfortably before moving on. When I have comfortable runs it motivates me to do the next week. Then I actually feel like I have a chance. Smile I also feel like hearing how well everyone is doing is great motivation. I was talking with my husband about how 3 months ago I would have never thought I would be running like I am now. 5 minutes used to sound so scary. I am doing my second day at W5D2 tonight and I am excited!! I did really well the last time I ran it so I am going to run it one more time and then move on to W5D3... 20 minutes... Scary!!! Sad I have been running on a treadmill in our garage. I kind of like being able to pace myself and push myself. I also like that it's not as humid and it's cooler. It's been hot for here... so 80 degrees so it's nice to run in the cooler air. I would run down on the Lakewalk along Lake Superior where it's about 10 degrees cooler with a breeze... but there are way to many tourists and they are all dumb and get in the way. Tongue I also started the Herbalife diet/nutrition program and that has given me so much more energy and I feel like since I have started that my runs have just felt great and so much more comfortable. I still can't get over how I'm actually excited to run.
              (Don't wear shoes half a size too small if you have a long second toe, guys. Blush)
              Ballet dancers that have a longer second toe tape their big toe and the second toe together when dancing pointe to help with that problem. It helps keep the two toes consistent with eachother, and helps prevent the black toenail thing that is so common with that issue. totally random I know.
              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I also went back to my Brooks for the time being since my old NBs gave me a black toenail! (Don't wear shoes half a size too small if you have a long second toe, guys. Blush) I need a new pair of shoes STAT...my old shoes never gave me pain but everytime I jog in my Brooks I get some sort of knee pain. Not good. The lesson of this story is: don't hang onto a pair of shoes that aren't right for you, even if they carried you through most of C25K.
                My next shoes will be bought half a size bigger than I wear. My sister gave me that advice because she knows I want to eventually run longer stuff. (I'm thinking half marathon in fall 2010.) She's done Ironman triathlons for years and never lost a toenail. I'm thinking she knows her stuff. Wink Free advice, take it or leave it, no matter to me, but just another little tip out there. Sorry to hear your shoes aren't good, goddess. Get rid of them before they bench you. Mimi, try not to worry about that 20 minute run. You are ready for it. Your D2 run was 16 minutes (with a walk in the middle); make sure you slow down and you'll get through it. You'll feel great when you finish because it's a huge confidence booster to get through it. Sefkhet, I'm with you. I was so happy to just run and not have to concern myself with walk intervals. It only gets better!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

theyapper

On the road again...

Ballet dancers that have a longer second toe tape their big toe and the second toe together when dancing pointe to help with that problem. Totally random I know.
                  And the first random fact in my new blog series "Random Facts." Thanks. Big grin

Paul

W1D3 (Start2Run: 1 R - 1 W - 2 R - 2W - 2 R - 2W - 3 R - 3 W - 3 R - 3W) It went so smooth today... I didn't have the slightly stiff/painfull feeling in my hamstrings that I felt in my previous trainings, and when I was halfway the walking interval I wanted to start running again, and when I was running I felt I could run longer. So although I haven't been running for 7 months, my cardio-pulmonary condition isn't that bad... I'm tempted to skip a day, but I won't... I don't want to risk an injury, it's not because my heart and lungs can run, that my joints and muscles can...

Running in Belgium
                    Ann

theyapper

On the road again...

Good job, Ann. And great call about taking your time. Early on in my One Hour Runner program I wanted to skip some weeks, but the wise people here were smart enough to talk me into patience. You'll never regret enjoying the journey!

Paul

The young Mama Bear!

Ann, that's a crazy schedule right there. Shocked I ran the fastest mile since...forever today. I started out too quickly so I told myself I would walk a little, run really quick and repeat that until I was done. Finished in less than 12 minutes, which is nice for having walked about 35% of the time. My feet hurt a little but then again I've never run this quickly in any pair of shoes. No knee pain, THANK GOD. My long second toe is also not angry with me anymore. Happy day! Let me just say that I love RoadRunner Sports. Please and thank you.
                        Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                        Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                        Wingz

Professional Noob

I love new shoes. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

redleaf

Tomorrow I'm supposed to run for 5 minutes straight (on my program walk 1 - run 5 repeat 8 times). I've read stuff all over here to help get me ready - it seems everyone gets a little nervous making the jump to their next week and I've certainly been nervous each jump prior to this one (especially the jump from 1 minute to two!) so hopefully this will be okay to. I'm still just very nervous! Wish me luck! on the plus side my Garmin 305 arrived! yippie!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

erendis

Let me just say that I love RoadRunner Sports. Please and thank you.
                              I'm so sad that I no longer live near a RRS. I was spoiled by the huge one in san diego when I started running the first time, but now we live in Massachusetts. I really just don't trust the folks at Olympia or Boston sports club, so I don't know where to go to get a real shoe fitting.
                              I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso

The young Mama Bear!

I'm so sad that I no longer live near a RRS. I was spoiled by the huge one in san diego when I started running the first time, but now we live in Massachusetts. I really just don't trust the folks at Olympia or Boston sports club, so I don't know where to go to get a real shoe fitting.
                                Got a FleetFeet or something along those lines? They're decent, but now that I've gone to RoadRunner for the first time, I am hooked! I even signed up for that VIP program...oh boy. I'm sure that the running stores in your area are more than qualified...you live in a city where the biggest marathon of the year is held!