Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: June 15 to 21 (Read 326 times)

running buddies

Congrats obiebyke! You are an inspiration. I really appreciate reading everyone's posts - both those ahead and those behind me in the program. You are ALL inspiring. I just finished W1D3 of OHR. I'm waiting for that feeling of "I could do more". Right now, I'm still very glad to see that 30 minute mark roll over on my watch. Probably I'm working harder than I think, since I've started adding in some hills so I don't give up due to boredom from running the same route. I have to commit by tomorrow to run a 5K on July 4. My brain knows I can do it, so why am I so nervous and why have I procrastinated so long?
    "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
    theyapper

On the road again...

I just finished W1D3 of OHR. I'm waiting for that feeling of "I could do more". Right now, I'm still very glad to see that 30 minute mark roll over on my watch. Probably I'm working harder than I think, since I've started adding in some hills...
      Don't underestimate the effect the hills could have. I have a long, steady climb at the beginning of one of my regular courses, and on the days that I'm already tired, it takes me a long time to really recover from it. Usually I'm at or near 1 mile in to the run before I feel fully recovered.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Probably I'm working harder than I think, since I've started adding in some hills so I don't give up due to boredom from running the same route. I have to commit by tomorrow to run a 5K on July 4. My brain knows I can do it, so why am I so nervous and why have I procrastinated so long?
        Something else I find helps on my runs since I run the same place all the time is to start at different places along the route. Then, I can't mentally keep tabs from my last run, like "okay, last time I got to the playground by this time" or "I hit the turnaround point at so many minutes last time". You can do the 5K! It just nerveracking to sign up and tell the world that you will run with a crowd doing 5K in a race.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Hi all, just joined. I'm currently in Week 9 of the C25K and I'll be starting the One hour Runner next week. Nice to meet you all and happy running.
          The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
          • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
          • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
          • Complete a 10K fun run
            I'm frustrated and annoyed. I hurt my ankle doing calf raises a little over a week ago and missed running for three days. I've been fighting a bit of tendonitis since. Usually my ankle is fine to run on and I ice it every night but dang today my ankles hurt and I really am not comfortable running on them and I can't do p90 either since the lunges will just make them worse! I'm trying to read more about tendonitus and it looks like it can become a chronic condition that needs constant attention, does anyone have any idea what I should do?
            You may find my running Vlog at Run Cast TV and my running log here

More turtle than hare...

I've started adding in some hills so I don't give up due to boredom from running the same route.
              I know it's silly, but I have a clockwise loop that I tend to run. I started running it counter-clockwise and it's as if it's a totally different route! In fact, I stopped paying attention once not too long ago and got a little lost in my neighbourhood! (Suburbs, who can understand 'em?) Three cheers for obiebyke! Inspirational!

50 halfs by age 50

Wtg Obiebyke! Whatcha gonna do next? quot...rest. You may just need a little more time. welcome wee! I have W4D3 on tap for tomorrow, then 4 or 5 miles on Sat.

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Nice to see you here, wee! Smile
                  I'm frustrated and annoyed. I hurt my ankle doing calf raises a little over a week ago and missed running for three days. I've been fighting a bit of tendonitis since. Usually my ankle is fine to run on and I ice it every night but dang today my ankles hurt and I really am not comfortable running on them and I can't do p90 either since the lunges will just make them worse! I'm trying to read more about tendonitus and it looks like it can become a chronic condition that needs constant attention, does anyone have any idea what I should do?
                  Not being able to run is tough! I'd be so impatient too. Did you give yourself enough time off? Three days might not have been enough. Try posting about your ankle in the Health forum on the big board. There are more experience runners there than here.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Thanks, The three days were fine but I reinjured the things doing downward dog *grumbles about power yoga*. I am doing some research right now because I honestly feel that not exercising may make this worse as I have weak ankles that were finally getting strong and I just have a feeling if I don't move them they'll heal weaker still. I know that happened to me as a kid and then there is the whole asthma maintenance thing. There is some support to this idea but everything I am reading says I would need to run on a softer surface until it finished healing and I can't figure out these ankle taping directions to save my life. I do have access to a quarter mile track at the middle school but I would have to keep changing direction. *sighs* I shouldn't complain, at least it's running.
                    theyapper

On the road again...

Finished Week 2 of the OHR training. Did a nice, easy run today - 3 miles at around 31 minutes. The best part of this whole journey happened last night. I went out to a campsite to speak to a group of middle school students and I took my 3 children with me. Since the meeting was delayed a bit, we went walking and hiked down (and back up) a pretty good hill to get to the waterfront so we could skip stones. I never even breathed heavy. Forget pace, distance, and all the other stuff. That is the payoff for me. Have a great week-end everybody!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That's very cool. I agree that fitness is the payoff and it's so easy to lose sight of that. I want to be fit to do things with my kids too. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

50 halfs by age 50

Finished W4 of C25K today! Yay! I'll probably do a LR tomorrow at my regular R4/W2 intervals. I have a cutback week July 4th weekend where my LR is only 3 miles. Maybe I'll try to switch up my intervals to R5/W2 or more then. Maybe I didn't read it well enough but did any of you do a cooldown after the daily workouts? I know it says a brisk 5 min walk for warmup but didn't notice any cooldown. I've been just walking 5 min afterward as well. Have a good weekend! mel

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I walk for about five minutes after as well. I don't start my run at our driveway. It's a 5 minute walk to the bikepath I run on so it's really easy to have that wind down afterwards. I think it is important to wind down/stretch out post run.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

I followed a minor injury plan I found last night. After icing my ankles, taking an anti-inflammatory and taping them I ran very easy on a dirt track. My ankles feel so much better today it isn't even funny. I'm going to stay on the track until they finish healing and start spending some time doing ankle exercises before I move to the road again. D1W2 done
                              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I see on the big board you found some good instructions for taping now. Hopefully you can heal up, quot! Today was my last run of week 7. It's amazing to me to stop and consider how far I've come. My log is starting to show some consistency both in distance and pace. Very cool. Only two weeks left. (Question: are we considered finished when we hit the beginning of week 9/end of week 8 or the end of week nine? I'm only seeing 8 weeks on our main forum page. Just curious.)

Half Fanatic #9292.