Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

c25k newbie (Read 256 times)

My Little Pony hair.

Just a note to say hi, and I'm a total c25k newb. I'm a 32 year old gaming geek who lives in my mom's basement (seriously). Most of my time is spent in from of my pc playing World of Warcraft. Back around new year's I saw the c25k online and decided I've give it a shot come spring, when the bike path near my house is dry and clean. And then my mother bought a treadmill at the beginning of February. And then I discovered that it's a really, really dumb idea to run in a pair of $15 Walmart sneakers. But all is well, I bought myself a shiny new pair of sneakers last weekend, and they made all the difference - I could actually run! Without pain even! *happy dance* Yeah, so that's me, and I'm stoked to have found this group Smile

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
    • run 1000k
    • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

RookieRider

From one newbie to another, Welcome! I just did w1d1 for the second time Sunday. Sad Do as everyone suggests and take it slow. Repeat a week if you need to, there's no hurry. You've found the beginning runners best resource (in my opinion). I'm 50 years old, live with my mom too. I'm a Diner Dash freak. It's on my Ipod Touch and at home on my computer. How lucky that you have a treadmill at home. Good luck and welcome.
      2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week
      jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Welcome! Slow and easy. That will get you through.

My Little Pony hair.

I plan on taking it slow. I've done 2 workouts from week 1 so far, and I'll probably do at least 1 extra on top of the standard 3, simply because I'm such a complete heifer so out of shape that even the 60-second runs leave me clawing at the treadmill's speed control by the time they're over. And it's not like I've got the thing turned up high, either, we're talking 15-minute miles here, nothing crazy. However, I did notice in my last workout, I wasn't clawing for the controls nearly as quickly as before, which is a definite good thing, and made me quite happy.

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
          • run 1000k
          • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

RookieRider

I'm running so slow that my dog is still walking beside me. He looks at me when I start to run and he gets all excited.............until he realizes I'm NOT really going much faster than when I was walking. He does this each time I start to run. It's funny. Two things I keep hearing are STRETCH! STRETCH! STRETCH! and don't worry about your speed. Speed is the least of my concerns right now. I finally completed one full workout for the first time today. lol I'll be doing week one again next week. lol I did run slower toward the last two runs today. My feet felt like they could hardly move. I was outside too and it was probably a little above 20 degrees this morning when I was out. It's 31 degrees right now. Doesn't it feel good that you ran? Aren't your proud of yourself for doing this? You can do it. Just hang in there.
            2009 goals Complete C25K Run my first 5k Run another 5k Cycle a half century Cycle EVERY week
            IndieKey

Hi, I'm a newby. Just signed up. It was really warm here this week for the first time. So, like I do every year when it gets warm, well, every few years, I decide I'm going to take up running. I remember wondering if I was too old when I was 25, 28, 33. Now I'm 43 and really wondering. I've been working out with the Wii 'My Fitness Coach' since January 1. (Every year I resolve to lose weight on January 1 too). And Monday I ran for 2 minutes, walked for a while, ran for two minutes, walked for a while. I was looking for a plan and found this site and this program. I've always had a problem with shin splints and my left knee is none to good, occasionally painful, but it still seems to work, but I have brand new running shoes, so I'm hopeful. I would kill for a treadmill. I ask Santa for one every year, but never get one.
              jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Welcome! I didn't start running until I was 50 - so you can do it! Just take it slow and easy - most beginners start out too fast. Toe taps do wonders to eliminate shin splints. If you need help, just post again. There are a few of us that hang around here to help out the newbies!
                IndieKey

Hi, What are toe taps? Thanks.
                  IndieKey

I found this site that explains them. http://www.drugs.com/cg/shin-splint-exercises.html You tap your toes. Duh. Thank you.
                    jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

"Toe taps: when sitting down, with your feet flat, leave your heels on the floor and tap your toes up and down. 50 with your feet pointing straight ahead; 50 with them pointing to the right, 50 with them pointing to the left. Repeat whenever you remember, until you think you'll scream if you do another set. Then do another set."