Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly update thread: Aug. 10 - Aug.16th. (Read 523 times)

Ooo, that sounds fantastic! I know there's this whole hoohah about running skirts...how do you like it? I'd feel like people were looking at me, haha.
    I don't think I could bear the summer heat in WI without my running skirts. I have only one pair of shorts that don't ride up, and I cannot relax and enjoy my run when I have a bunched up bunch 'a fabric between my thighs. So, it's skirts or capris for me. I have gotten a whole bunch of compliments on my skirts from people around town! I'm sure people are looking (nosy town), but I figure if they see me from their window while eating chips watching TV, at least they'll have something cute to look at as opposed to me tugging down my shorts. Big grin Olivia - great job! I am always so excited to hear how you are doing!

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

zzz

Finished week 5 and then some.... we kept running until we covered a 5K... Lauri is back and we've got some making up to do... awesome run!!! Goddess before you head off to disneyland can you move me up a week please... wanks!!! Big grin woohoo tonight was incredible.... we could have kept going and managed to get a little speed work in at the end...
      theyapper

On the road again...

Today was my first run of Week 9 in the OHR. I was up early and running a bit after 6 am and it felt great. Low 60s, low humidity. But the rest of the run felt tough. I ran the pace I wanted, but it was a harder run than I expected. My legs felt very heavy.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

erendis

just finished week 7 day 1. kinda crummy weather, so I decided to follow advice to try a new course. since i'm new to the area, i just sorta explored the neighborhood. I didn't really know where I was going, so I definitely ran alot slower than usual, but the time passed much more quickly because I was exploring as I ran. I passed by the high school outdoor track- there was a team with coaches there so I just ran on by but I wonder if its ever open to the public.
          I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
            W2D1 - Start2Run (1R - 1W - 2R - 2W - 2R - 2W - 3 R - 3 W - 4 R - 4 W) The first three weeks of this program are not very different... on the end of week 3, the longest running interval will be 5 min. Probably this is because the program assumes you already have some base cardio-pulmonary condition, but it is the legs that lack exercise... So only working at getting the legs going again, and building more condition only from the fourth week on. This makes it very tempting to skip a week, but I know that when I get injured, it will probably take a long time before I start running again... So I will try to stay with my program... So yes, my run this evening was very good... I choose a path along the canal, only the ducks to keep me company, and a few bikers on both banks that passed by. Lots of flowers, and a very fine temperature. This is why I run!

Running in Belgium
            Ann

Sounds as though everyone is off to a great start to the week! I did W8D3 on Wednesday last week. As I'm still having struggles at home, I did not run W9D1 until last night Cry Run went well. My boys (ages 13 and 11) went with me and they are both running the 5K on Saturday. I ran 30 minutes and covered 2.4 miles. I will run Tuesday and Thursday this week to finish up week nine before running the 5K. I'm so excited. When I ran on the bike trail last night, they have all the miles marked for the 5K. That really got me pumped up Big grin I'm starting to get very jazzed up, but yet nervous. I'm not sure why nervous though, because when I run, my breathing is very consistent. When I was done with 30 minutes, I felt like I could continue. So, I'm sure adrenaline will keep me going. My personal goal is still to make it in less than 40 minutes... Anyway, great job to all in their journey and have a great rest of the week Wink Countdown to first 5K ----- 5 days Shocked
              Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.
                I'm headed out for my last C25K run - W9D3! I'll post when I get back. DH and Izzi the Dog are having a graduation party for me when I get home! (party = cuddle on the couch while watching TV) MTA: DONE!!! Week 9 Day 3 is behind me, and now I have to decide where to go from here. Run went pretty well, but I had a plate of spaghetti in my stomach that made it pretty challenging.

The young Mama Bear!

I believe I've got everyone caught up on the charts. Give me a little shout if I missed you! Big grin Kelly, you're going at my pace! We have exactly the same goals (sub 40 5K)...I know you can do it! Cristina, YAY! You should do a little victory lap...you did so well. Can't wait to be right next to you on the graduates list. Smile Yap, I can't wait to make you the second graduate of OHR. Big grin
                  Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                  Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
                    Cristina, YAY! You should do a little victory lap...you did so well. Can't wait to be right next to you on the graduates list. Smile
                    Goddess - thanks for the encouragement! It feels good to be done. My plan right now is to slowly add a 4th day but stay at the 30 minute time per run for now. I'm going to get some speedwork in one day a week because I am truly, truly a turtle. I have a 5K race scheduled for September, so I need to get some speed before then. You are almost done, right?

theyapper

On the road again...

I believe I've got everyone caught up on the charts. Give me a little shout if I missed you! Big grin Yap, I can't wait to make you the second graduate of OHR. Big grin
                      I can't wait to be on that list, but I think I'll be listed after quotidianlight who was able to skip ahead and finish early and runswithdogs/scissors/otherscarythingsthatcanhurtyou who is in Week 9 as well.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Success! After eleven days with no running at all, I woke up yesterday morning with zero residual shin splint pain in my legs and thought, I'm going to run today. So I did! I ace bandaged my legs which turned out to be more detrimental than helpful, as it made my feet hurt and they cramped up which made my foot strike funny. I ended up running ~1.5 miles in 19 minutes which is a hair slower than my normal speed. I stopped due to foot pain from the ace wrap, not shin splint or knee pain, so I am so excited! It appears that I am back at this! That said, I'm so nervous that I'm going to go to fast and injure myself again, which I cannot afford to do if I plan to do that 5K on the 30th, so I'm easing back up to 25 minutes this week (repeating Week 7....goddess, I don't know if you want to drop me back on the chart or what), then that will leave me just enough time to complete C25K with an official 5K! Yay, I'm so happy that I seem to have recovered!
                        2009 Goals:
                        PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                        Run a 10K
                        Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                        Complete my first Sprint Tri
                          Jenner: That's awesome news! So glad to hear it went so well Big grin
                          Goals: Finish C25K Run 5K and not die (8/16/08) Run 5K in less than 30 minutes Run 10K Weigh 150 lbs.
                            Last night I ran W5D3!! I can't believe I actually ran for 20 minutes and didn't die. Big grin For the first time in my entire life I ran a mile without stopping!! The first time in my entire life I can say I ran for 2 miles!! I can't wait to run again now that I know i can run for that long. I can't wait to finish the program. I really feel like after this one run I know I can finish the program. Thanks everyone for all your encouragement and advice!!!
                              Ran W5D1 with the dog this morning. Who put that *#?$ hill in the middle of my run! Smile
                              MoonStar

Hey, back from the houseboat! Didn't do any running obviously, treading water for 1 1/2 hours is way easier than running for 30. Nice idea though Wingz. Really didn't want to go running today. And then morning chores almost killed it completely... Think maybe I'm a little dehydrated - haven't been using my water bottle lately and I know that definitely has effected my energy level in the past. Wow, Goddess. Can't believe you're finishing c25k. Congrads! Oliviars - you and your mom are doing great! You're almost 1/2 way done! Gruetzgirl - I end up with major chafing if I use regular shorts. Haven't tried the skirt/skorts. I use what look like biking shorts without the padding. They totally guard against chafing and don't ride up like regular shorts. I try to wear an oversized t-shirt with it if I am running outside - makes the jiggle a LITTLE less unattractive. Happily I am still usually on the treadmill in my basement.