Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Why Did You Start C25K? (Read 352 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It's a little slow in here so I thought a little discussion outside where we are in the running schedule might be good. So why did you start C25K? Had you thought about it before or tried it before? Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

theyapper

On the road again...

I got tired of breathing heavy when I'd play freeze tag with my kids.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

My DH is a runner and I wanted to be able to join him once in awhile. We also travel a lot, so I wanted exercise I could do no matter where we are.
        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I needed to exercise and it's hard to do yoga at home with our 4 year old bumping into me and tipping me or our one year old crawling on me. Run time is my time.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

I was seeking general fitness and improved cardio and I know that I like the "feeling" of doing something a little more intense than just walking (which I like but it doesn't feel like a work out you know). I also wanted to know if I could do it. Just a sort of test for myself. I had seen so much about it online and my response was always that I didn't like or wouldn't like or couldn't run. I proved that is wrong!
            The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
            • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
            • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
            • Complete a 10K fun run

The young Mama Bear!

If I'm not challenged, I simply won't do it. I'm very stubborn, and if someone says I can't do it, I probably will. Also, I wanted to find a fairly simple way to increase my endurance. Turns out that I ended up getting addicted!
              Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
              Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

More turtle than hare...

Because running needed the least stuff to get started. No bike, no yoga mat, no elbow pads... just sneakers. When one's poor as dirt and at the top end of the "comfortable weight" scale, running is the perfect activity. Plus, I learned I like running!
                  I started running again (thanks to a patient DH who helped in the motivation dept), found RA, and then learned about C25K. I like having a plan to follow, even if life gets crazy and I end up repeating weeks. I wanted to have a way to measure my changing ability.

"Life is short... running makes it seem longer." - Baron Hansen

I started running for a few reasons. My husband runs all the time... he trains for half marathons and a lot of our friends run so they all talk about it and I felt left out. Smile The other reason I started running was I needed something to take the place of all the ballet classes and dancing I had been doing for my entire life. When I graduated from college and couldn't afford the classes, I needed something for exercise. I have NEVER been a runner so it's been quite the challenge but I am enjoying it. I am still trying to keep my flexiblity but it's weird to feel my muscles get tight and strong and not super loose and strong.
                      I started running to say Screw You to all the fat-people-haters out there. I'd rather be fat and running in 5Ks than skinny and not exercising. I like feeling strong more than I want to be skinny (but let's be honest, I'm also trying to lose SOME weight...I never want to be real thin, but I do want to fit into normal size clothes and stop shopping in the plus section).
                      2009 Goals:
                      PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                      Run a 10K
                      Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                      Complete my first Sprint Tri
                      zzz

cuz i fat Big grin that and i have always wanted to be a run in the rain. mud, hell frozen over kind of runner.... i used to run in high school.... that and after 1 8k race i was HOOKED!!!
                        CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I started running to say Screw You to all the fat-people-haters out there.
                          I love your attitude! LOL!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

50 halfs by age 50

Let's see... I started C25K because I have done a whole bunch of races over the past 3 years with r/w intervals and wanted to see if I could do this without walk breaks. I started running because I signed up for a half marathon and didn't think I could beat the 16 min mile pace if I didn't run at least a little (did that first half W3/R2). I started walking/working out because I was 45 lbs overweight, my blood sugar and blood pressure were creeping up and I have really horrible genes with diabetes and heart disease rampant in my family. I'm still about 20 lbs overweight, but working on that.

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine

Wingz

Professional Noob

I was about a year out from ACL surgery, was gaining a half a pound a week and had been for a half year... and was finding that I needed to use the arms of office chairs to get up out of them. People in their 30's shouldn't need to use the arms of a chair to get up...

Roads were made for journeys...

I did C25k about three years ago and made it up to week six or so. I'm not sure what happened that I dropped it and fell back into bad habits. This spring, I started running again. A bit! I didn't feel like fussing around with the intervals of C25k, so I was doing - run between two fire hydrants, walk to the next one, run between two, walk one. Who knew there were so many fire hydrants! The intervals were about equal to week two or three, but I was doing it in a half-hearted manner. Then I ran across a runner's profile on another forum (unrelated to running) and her before and after photos totally inspired me (JustMarion is who it was). At the same time I heard about the podcasts and they have made it so easy for me - in a way that I really needed. Finding RA has been really good for ongoing inspiration and motivation. This group has been great! If I don't always post, I'm definitely always lurking!!
                                ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer