Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Building confidence and getting out there (Read 483 times)

Baby bean!

Does anyone have issues with their confidence in running?  I feel much more confident running with my husband than running solo.  I feel nervous in my own neighborhood.  Sometimes this makes me so anxious to run alone and it's driving me nuts. 

If you got past this, how did you do it? 

Goals:
    Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "issues with confidence", but I'm guessing that you're worried about what people might think of you or that they might be judging you when they see you running.  Let's approach this from another angle:  what do you think when you see others running?  Most runners see someone who enjoys running or the benefits it brings.  Most non-runners are indifferent.  Jerks are jerks and cannot be helped.  Runners run and you are running; don't over think it.   You are making nice progress on C25K so don't worry. 

Sorry if you meant something else, like safety or pace.  Happy running!

Baby bean!

I'm actually not sure what I mean

I guess it's part confidence/part motivation/part endurance. 

I feel like when I go for solo runs, it's harder to motivate myself to go out, it's harder to stay out and it's harder to support myself when I'm out there.  I can't quite pinpoint whether it's confidence, endurance or motivation.

Goals:
        Finish C25K

My Little Pony hair.

Does anyone have issues with their confidence in running?  I feel much more confident running with my husband than running solo.  I feel nervous in my own neighborhood.  Sometimes this makes me so anxious to run alone and it's driving me nuts. 

If you got past this, how did you do it? 

If I come up with any ways to get past it, I'll let you know Smile

Seriously though, I totally get what you're saying.  Even though Ed doesn't run, I feel much better with him out there, otherwise I feel like people are seeing nothing more than a fat chick attempting to run, only managing to go 90 seconds or 3 minutes or whatever before needing to stop again.  I tend to go out early in the mornings before too many people are on the bike path, limiting my contact with most folks aside from the odd old man out for a morning walk, and I don't run on the roads yet because someone might SEE me (OMG the horror!).

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
          • run 1000k
          • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

Wingz

Professional Noob

Also, you might want to check out the local running club.  Ask them specifically if they have people who can go for a "slow" pace with a "new" runner.  (Don't worry - there will be different speeds there and if you get faster then there will be people to run with as well.)  I've had two very different experiences with running clubs.  In one city, there was a regular pack of women who liked to run/walk and who went about my pace (at the time, 14-16 minute miles with run/walk, walking 1 minute and then running for 4).  I ran with them for several months until I decided I wanted to train for something.  They were happy with 3 runs a week of 2 1/2 miles at that pace and had no intentions of ever changing or doing anything longer.

In town #2, the local running club is very competitive and their motto (as expressed by one member to a different, newer runner) is "keep up or get dropped."  Meaning if you can't already run fast, don't even bother coming out.  I've never bothered to come out.

So, it's worth checking out and making a few phone calls.  If you can find a group that meets your needs, it can really be quite a blessing!

Roads were made for journeys...

You Are Beautiful.

I typed this out like a week ago and my browser died. So here we go again.

I felt nervous in my own neighborhood for awhile. I felt like 1. people were judging me and 2. frightened of what might happen to me.

I tackled the judgment issue by talking about it with the boy. He and I both agreed, when we see anyone out working out (walking, riding, running, whatever), we're almost always thinking, "Good for them!",  if we notice. This goes double for those people who look like they need exercise. I don't think negatively, I think positive, "Good for them! Way to get out there!" I can also commiserate with runners, like, "Oh that intersection is a bitch," "Those people have a noisy dog," etc.

My other personal issue is that I have a inordinately. large. Maury. Povich. sized. fear of stray dogs (5 links there). So I usually make the boyfriend run with me if I'm going on a new route or a route away from home. Once I've done it once with him, somehow it's safe for me to go alone. I carry pepper spray that I bought on eBay for $5 with me when I run. So I do ok with the neighborhood.

Those are my suggestions though I'm not sure either what you mean by confidence. MTA: I guess if I read the other comments....der!

What makes running with your husband easier?

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
              Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

My Little Pony hair.

I don't feel so much like a hurf-durf-butter-eater when I'm out there with him.  I'm not sure why.  Smile

2011 Goals:

• lose more weight
                • run 1000k
                • be more confident in my running abilities

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop. | my running blog | upcoming races

Baby bean!

He keeps me going.  I have gone out quite a few times without him and it's getting better.  But running with him is easier.  It's easier to get out, it's easier to NOT stop, I feel safer and I don't feel like such a doof.  

I think that the more I do get out there on my own, the better I am.  I am so proud that all of his things that temporarlity side lined him did not side line me. 

Goals:
                  Finish C25K

Interesting concept as I am the complete opposite.

I prefer to run by myself & am very self-conscious running with others [they're faster, I'm too slow, can't keep up etc.  (should have seen me nearly have a panic attack lining up for my first race last month with ~14,000 others- ack!)

When I started running back in February- I was running at night and usually had so many clothes on -no one would be able to tell who I was anyways.  

Now that the days are longer - there are more people out when I am running adn I've 

Though the other day a mom at the school playground said "did I see you running?"  and I said yes- it was probably me, so people are seeing me- but hey- it's not a bad thing.  I figure if I can run & lose weight (29 lb gone since Jan) and be in an inspiration to others- then all the better!

21.1k, 20/07/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #4/5 2:24:29

15k, 4/05/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #3 1:40:43

10k, 13/04/2013, MEC Race Series Calgary #2 1:08:44

10k, 23/09/2012, Rock the House 1:04:27(gun), 1:03:48(chip)

10k, 27/05/2012 1:08:57

11.34 k, 22/10/2011 1:16:52

Started C25K 5 February 2009; SportCheck Mother's Day 5k- 37:13