Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread 5/4 through 5/10 (Read 288 times)

obiebyke

Yesterday I finished W5 of OHR. 38 minute run, and it brought me over 100 miles for 2008!!! I'm so excited. Have a good week, everyone.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Yesterday I finished W5 of OHR. 38 minute run, and it brought me over 100 miles for 2008!!! I'm so excited. Have a good week, everyone.
      Look who just broke the 100 mile barrier! Big grin Congrats, obiebyke! Cool I woke up a little early this morning and wasn't able to get back to sleep, so I went running. It's much cooler in the early mornings, and traffic is so much lighter. Why don't I get up early more often? (Someone likes her pillow a bit too much, I think...) Roll eyes Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

colinw

I am officially finished the C25K program! I am doing well, and started the one hour runner program. I ran the course of my first 5k race on Sunday, and it was interesting to see the course beforehand. The race isn't until the middle of June, but I ran the course today is 30:31, and according to my map it is 5.4 km, not 5k, so I am pretty happy with the time. Now I am going to work on running farther and longer, which the OHR program should be perfect for. Looking back 9 weeks, I am amazed that I can run 5km in about 30 minutes. Over the multiple starts and stops of running in the last few years, the difference a good program like C25K makes is incredible. I have come to look forward to my running, and often want to run more than I have scheduled. I would not have ever guessed that would happen 2 months ago! Thanks for everyones support, and to those just starting or struggling on the C25K, if I can do this anyone can. Just stick with the program, repest weeks if you need to and take it slow!! You'll enjoy it so much more than going out too fast and injuring yourself or getting discouraged!

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Wow! What a great start this week! obiebyke - congrats on the 100 miles. I'm not too far behind you! wingz - It's hard to get up, but once I'm out there, I'm glad I pushed myself. That being said, I haven't done anything yet this morning. . . colinw - hopefully your words will be a real encouragement to others that may be struggling. You are absolutely correct - the program does work. Congratulations, graduate! I ran OHR W2D2 yesterday outside with DH. I'm still sick, but miraculously, when I go out and run it clears my head for a few hours.
          Wingz

Professional Noob

Congrats on your graduation, colinw! Big grin You've done awesome... and I'm totally jealous of your 5K time. Big grin I'm hoping to get close to that sometime next year... Roll eyes You're gonna rock that race next month!!! Cool

obiebyke

Congrats, colinw! Welcome to OHR. Come and get me, jb! It's fun to have someone right with me. Glad running clears your head. Any satisfying snot rockets?

Just finished W4D1, the as-scheduled edition. I added about a minute walking by adding 30 seconds to 2 of the walking intervals, but ran it as planned otherwise. 5 minutes now seems as long as 1 minute did 6 weeks ago, so it's all good. I just keep reminding myself YES, YOU CAN. Sometimes I have to say it a LOT. Roll eyes colinw, congratulations!! Way to stick with it and reach your goal of completing C25K. jb944, your encouragement is so uplifting. I hope you feel better soon. Wingz, I am so thankful that my schedule works out for me to run in the early afternoon for the same pillowy reason. However, in the summer, I may have to reconsider...100 is a liiittttlleee toasty for running.
                  Great start to the week!! Obi- WOOHOO on over 100 miles!! Thats awesome!! Wingz- I totally feel ya on the pillow loving but it really does feel good in the mornings huh Big grin Colin- CONGRATS on finishing the program!!! jb- Isnt it amazing that once you get out there ya feel better?! I love that! Its just making that initial out the door that sucks lol. PolePole- Great job! Just keep saying it and you'll make it through!!
                  Yelie

Puffer, not huffer

Dipping my toe in the water for my first post ever. I've been following everyone's progress--we all should be so proud of ourselves!! Just finished W6, D3--I took a day off because in my enthusiasm for running, I forgot to keep hydrated and was feeling pretty crappy for a few days before I realized what the problem was. Getting hungover off of two beers really should have clued me in. Wink Anyway, I wouldn't say W6 D3 was a breeze, but it's nice to look at my watch 20 minutes in and think "okay, only five more minutes...you can totally do that." It feels great to say that I ran for 25 minutes straight. Have good runs, all!
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

PolePole, yes you can. You totally can do this. You're smart. You're determined. And you've got a good plan. Just keep pointed in the right direction and you WILL get there! LaineT - Welcome! First post ever, huh? Big grin Hey, we should celebrate... Evil grin who's up for a run? Just kidding. I'm putting you up on our home page chart, so be sure to check back in at least every week so everyone can see where you are. Big grin

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

obiebyke - after today's run, I only have 14 miles to get to that 100 miles for the year. No snot rockets - I don't really understand what happens, but everything dries up and feels better in my head as soon as I start running. PolePole - you are making great progress. and yes, you an do it! LaineT - welcome to our group! You have made real progress. That 25 minutes is a great feeling! I just had to get out and run again today - it was in the 70s and very little wind, and running clears my head. I decided since I had already run 2 days in a row that I would take it easier and do run/walk intervals today. I really don't want to overdo it and get injured again. So, I'm not counting this as D3 - I'll do that later this week, but I did a little over 3 miles again. I will definitely take tomorrow off from running . . .
                        MoonStar

I just did my 1st 20 minutes with w5d3. Big grin Lungs were fine, legs still a little tired from Saturdays 5K. Allergies under control - hurrah! I learned that the route I took today is NOT a good one unless I want to be going uphill most of the way back. Ooops. Kept running though - just at a even slower pace. Happy to be doing a couple more intervals before the next long run. So, Wingz - you can finally move me up to Week 6 day 1. YEAH!!!
                          gwhutch

OHR w1d1 completed this morning. I use the same route just about every run so I know where to start and stop. So today I decided to run without checking the watch for when to start and stop. I got to where I should stop and checked the watch and I still had two and a half minutes to go. Covering more distance in the same amount of time is very cool.
                              hi guys, I'm somewhere in the middle of OHR, I just finished week 4 the other day. can I join? I think this would give me motivation to stick with it.
                              2011 Goal: Run at least twice per week for the entire year
                              obiebyke

Absolutely! Hi, eyedoc! So this is your first week with a more than 30 minute run, right?