Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: Sept 14 - Sept 20 (Read 256 times)

New weekly thread. Hope everyone has great runs this week! We ran the Komen Race for the Cure 5K this morning. The weather was not great for a run: close to 80 degrees with humidity upwards of 80%. Despite the weather and the foot traffic that slows down any charity 5K at the beginning, we still came in at 31:00! We've already signed up for our next 5K, right about a month from now. We feel like runners now!
    2008 Goals:
    1. Finish C25K
    2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
    3. Complete One Hour Runner
    erendis

congrats on your race! don't forget to post in the race results thread Smile
      I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso

Baby bean!

New weekly thread. Hope everyone has great runs this week! We ran the Komen Race for the Cure 5K this morning. The weather was not great for a run: close to 80 degrees with humidity upwards of 80%. Despite the weather and the foot traffic that slows down any charity 5K at the beginning, we still came in at 31:00! We've already signed up for our next 5K, right about a month from now. We feel like runners now!
        Where??? I was in Central Park!!! Big grin Unfortunately, I had to walk most of it...I got some funky trots or something. DH ran it in 35 min...his first race ever!!! Then we tacked on another 2 or so miles walking back to the car.

Goals:
        Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

We were there also, sushigirl! Sorry to hear that you had to slow down, but it was tough to keep up a steady pace anyway, with the weather and the crowds. Smile
          2008 Goals:
          1. Finish C25K
          2. Race <30 minute=""></30>
          3. Complete One Hour Runner

Baby bean!

OMG the crowds were nuts and the mix of runners and walkers made it hard to maneuver! And today was terribly humid. Great experience, though, and a wonderful cause!!! Here's to next year!

Goals:
            Finish C25K

finally stared week 8. It was pouring constantly this weekend so i finally decided to go in the rain. i made it 2.8 miles and then my mom drove by and forced me to get in the car and go home. I'm glad i finished the run before she found me. It was pouring though and super windy. Plus i have a cough so it probably wasn't a good idea but it was fun. Jumping in hugh shin-deep puddles is the best. Big grin
              Goals: Run.
                I finished up Week 7 yesterday...I think it was the most challenging so far. I'm hoping the extra 3 minutes per run in Week 8 are not that big a deal...the weather is cooler this week so I'm hoping to get more road running in! Hope everyone has a good week!
                Cyndi One Hour Running, Finishing by Jan 3rd! www.brokenscale.blogspot.com
                dani_marie

I finished C25K yesterday! I had to repeat some weeks, so it took me 12 weeks instead of 9. But I finished injury-free and yesterday's run felt great. In fact I was amazed at how good I felt. I really never thought I'd be able to run for 30 minutes without dropping dead. I think for a couple of months I'm going to continue 30 minutes 3x a week, maybe do a 5K race or two. Then I'm going to move on to Podrunner Intervals Freeway to 10K. For all you newbies, C25K really does work! Stick with it and be patient with yourself and you'll be amazed at the results.
                  erendis

congratulations to dani, cyndi, and olivia- such great accomplishments! olivia- it's been such a challenge for you to keep going, but the fact that you've kept at it is evidence that you're really committed to becoming a runner. whenever i have those thoughts of not running because of some excuse like weather or convenience, i think of how many hurdles you've overcome and you still go running regardless. that makes me HTFU and get out there! our run this morning was pretty darn good. decided not to do intervals today, but just go out and run 30 min in anticipation of our 5k this weekend. my legs, knees, etc felt great, and i think running 3mi last weekend helped me clear the mental hurdle so now it's a matter of getting in enough cardiovascular shape to be able to keep going strong for 30min (and beyond!)
                    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso

The young Mama Bear!

Congrats, dani_marie & cyndi! I've got ya on the grad list, dani. Enjoy yourself! I bought my first hydration belt, and I must say I feel mighty hardcore. Can't wait to give it a run tomorrow. Smile
                      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
                      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

Baby bean!

Just did W5 D2. Wasn't bad, really wanted to go for another interval of it but these stomach cramps set in again. And then when I mapped it, between a warm up walk and the runs, my pace is horrendous!!! Sad Tell me it gets better!!! I am not giving up but I am starting to think that maybe I suck at this. Cry No, seriously, I am slooooow!!! Tell me it will get better! Wink

Goals:
                        Finish C25K

ok so now i'm starting to stick to a schedule better. i went today it was great. the last half mile was awesome. it is soo much easier. I'm so close to week 9.
                          Goals: Run.
                            Just did W5 D2. Wasn't bad, really wanted to go for another interval of it but these stomach cramps set in again. And then when I mapped it, between a warm up walk and the runs, my pace is horrendous!!! Sad Tell me it gets better!!! I am not giving up but I am starting to think that maybe I suck at this. Cry No, seriously, I am slooooow!!! Tell me it will get better! Wink
                            It will get better. Your goal now is to run the distance, not run fast, right? I thought I was pretty slow, but then I ran with my husband, and he thought I was too fast for him. I didn't realize I could go slower, but I did to keep pace with him. We all go at different paces, whatever works for us. As I was doing C25k I noticed that I would try to go faster during the second half of the runs because I wanted to get it over with. But running faster was making it harder for me to finish. So I made a conscious effort to not run faster, to just keep a slow steady pace. And that helps me to finish. If I do that, I can run 3 miles without taking a walk break (on a good day). Now if I am planning a run that is only a mile I might try to go slightly faster than usual, but I still consider myself pretty slow. I feel bad sometimes when I hear others talking about running 9 minute miles and doing 5k in under 30 minutes. I don't know if I will ever be there, but my goal is distance, and I'm not going to worry about speed right now, if ever.
                            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I know I can always come to this thread for a bit of positivity. I'm proud of you who did the breast cancer fundraiser. Close cause to my heart. Dani, congrats on finishing. Olivia and Cyndi, seems like you guys just started and here you are so close to finishing. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

I did W1D2 on Monday and have just done W1D3 and feel very good to have completed the first week of C25K! I just wanted to check that it's okay for me to start Week 2 on Friday even though I only started the programme on Saturday and therefore a full week hasn't actually elapsed? I prefer to run more often than 3 times a week, but should I stick with the W1 training schedule until Saturday or just press on?