Couch to 5K and One Hour Runners

Weekly Thread: June 01 to 07 (Read 369 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

New week and new month! Big grin I finished week 4 this morning and looking forward to my week 5 run on Tuesday. (I hope no one cares I started the new thread.)

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

obiebyke

Thanks for starting a new thread. Nice work, Meg-- you're halfway there. I had my second 5K this morning, and it was a bit of a disaster. First of all, my best buddy moved yesterday, so I spent a bit hauling furniture to the 3rd floor of an apartment building. I knew it wasn't a good idea for my legs, but being a good friend is more important to me than a race time. Got up at 6.30 this morning, had a little bit of gatorade, a banana, and half a Clif bar. I made sure my bag was packed and was out the door. Picked up my gf (aka cheering section) and headed in to San Francisco. We made it to Golden Gate Park in plenty of time. I got my bib, sat around for a bit people-watching, used the bathroom, and eventually began brisk walking to bring my heartrate up, like I do for my training runs. Went to the bathroom again (gotta be as light as possible, you know). Then it was time for the start. I went out too fast--the timing dude was at the mile mark and I was at 10:40. I should've been at about 11:20. Oops. Then it got hilly. Oof. I was starting to hurt from all those stairs. I ran and ran and there was no one giving mile 2 splits, so I finally looked down at my Garmin. F!!!! I didn't press start when I crossed the starting line! That means so pacing info, and no data for later. Damn damn damn. That made me bonk a little, just because I was so mad at myself. And I had no idea how much was left so I couldn't pace. I drew up to one guy who was walking and encouraged him to get going. He did, and started smoking me. Doesn't he know that you're not supposed to beat the person who encourages you? Wink In the final stretch, the leader bikers came biking back and rooting us on. I needed it. The end was finally slightly downhill, and the woman I'd been gaining on for the past 1.5 miles took off. Dammit. I almost caught her. I finally turned the corner back toward the start/finish and mustered a kick. My gf got a great shot of me going through the chute. The clock says 37:10. Ouch. Granted, it was 5.14K, not 5K, but my first race was 35:17. I was hoping for 36:00 or under for this one. But 2 down! Go me! Pics

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

MoonStar

Bike ride this am with son - only 5 miles and he set the pace but was fun. Then was rearended after dropping folks off at airport and now my lower back is achy - so don't know if I will be able to run or not this week. Hopefully I am feeling better in a few days. At least it will give my shins a better chance to get back to normal. Maybe someone is trying to tell me to take a break this week.
        Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, Meg! Thanks for starting the new thread. Big grin You're doing great! Keep up the good work! Obiebyke - I've had a few races like that too. It bites a bit, especially since you were hoping to PR, but, like you said, being a good friend was more important to you than having a good race. The next time you PR will be just that much sweeter. Smile Moonstar - Oh noes! Black eye You may be right - between the shins and the low back this may be a good week to just bike and maybe do some easy walking and gentle stretching. Starting back up next week it'd probably be a good idea to drop back a week rather than try to pick up where you left off. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Roads were made for journeys...

Did W6D2 today, but divided the last 10 min interval into 2 5's with a 3 minute walk break in between. Hip issue still going on, and was sore all day. I tweaked it getting down off of a city bus on Sat night, and am still feeling it today. Made an appt w/ my DO, so we'll see...
            CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Hopefully it's nothing too serious, Pole. Way to get out there and make the run work with what you could do. Smile Tomorrow is my run day. Here's the silly part. I'm a little shy about going running with my sister coming over during my run. (She'll be in for work and staying over.) It's not that I'm worried about her hanging out with my husband and kids if I'm gone when she gets there or if I have to go after she gets there. I know everyone has to start somewhere but my measly 1.5 mile run is so measley compared to what she does. Not quite intimidation factor but yeah, it's a bit odd to me. MTA: Self-conscious. That's the word I'm looking for. Tongue

Half Fanatic #9292. 

I feel ya, sista. My dad is a track & XC coach, my sister qualified for the state XC meet in HS...and I'm so freekin' excited to run what I do now. But isn't it funny how much we allow others' opinions--or what we *think* their opinions to be--to influence our decisions? This is something that you are doing for you...and to keep yourself healthy to grow old with your family. Go run. Put the rest out of your mind. And as you know by now, this is from experience from me. I finally had to say to heck with it and just go for it all. (See LLR for that one.) Yes
                CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I feel ya, sista. My dad is a track & XC coach, my sister qualified for the state XC meet in HS...and I'm so freekin' excited to run what I do now. Yes
                  My sister is an Ironman. She's run a few different Ironman triathlons including the big one (Kona) in Hawaii. I know she'd be nothing but supportive but until I get through C25K, I feel pretty pathetic. The people on RA don't intimidate me at all. I love what I've done so far and I have no doubts I can finish this and continue to run, but i feel like such a beginner around her.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

running buddies

Ha! Self-conscious! Why do you think I run with my dogs, alone, in the woods, early in the morning when there's no one around?! I am hoping to do a 5K on July 4, and I'm more concerned about the other people than I am about finishing, or my time, or anything. Mentally, I can say the heck with them, but my guts still churn a little when I think of all those people with all their experience. And, I can't take the dogs for moral support. But I still plan to do it. Have to prove it to myself. Thanks for the race story, obiebyke. It's good to hear all that goes through your head. And I also agree, friends are important. Moonstar - what a drag about your back. Take care of yourself. I'm starting week 8 tomorrow morning (early, when no one is around except the dogs....).
                    "Be patient and tough. Someday this pain will be useful to you." Ovid 2009 Goals 1. Don't get injured 2. Run 3-4x/week for at least 30 minutes 3. participate in at least one run or tri (maybe 2) "And remember, Dead Freakin' Last is better than Did Not Finish which is way better than Did Not Start" (Allison)
                    kiwirunning

Didn't get around to my W6D3 on the weekend... so have started Week 6 again..... probably the best thing for it anyway....think i'll be more ready for the D3 this time around.... but have a tournament coming up this Saturday and am gonna be sore on Sunday..... i might even have to do W6 a third time?!?!?! Sad
                        Well I am finally back. We were camping and then sick so I didnt really get any running in until yesterday. I did do a lot of biking while camping which I'm sure is the only reason that my OHR W1D2 didnt kill me Blush Obi- sorry you didnt have a PR but congrats on doing it!! You'll have lots of other 5ks to set a PR so its always better to help a friend in need! Wink MoonStar- Give it some rest time and hope youre feeling great in a couple days! Pole- Hope your hip is nothing serious! Take it easy till you see the doc! Meg- I feel ya! Only its my hubby thats a great runner and I'm STILL too self conscious to let him come run with me or anything lol. runswithdogs- Ha arent dogs the best at moral support??? Smile I figure I'm such a people watcher that it will take my mind off of being self conscious during the race (I hope!) kiwi- Just do it however many times you feel like you need. No rush Wink
                        Yelie
                        MoonStar

Ok, for those of you who don't know Wingz is MY sister. Shocked I started trying to start running back in December, but had multiple start and stops. When I finally told her this Spring what I was trying to do she was very supportive and directed me to this site. My step-dad is a ex-marathoner and ran Boston back in the 80's before messing his knees up - he has been supportive - but wishes I were racewalking instead so my knees don't end up like his. As you may know, Wingz did a half-marathon last May and has really changed her physical condition in the last 2 years and it has been inspiring to me to see this transformation. She was never nearly as obese as I am (I am 255 and 5'8") but I would guess she has probably lost 30+ lbs through a combination of running and martial arts. I guess where I was going, is that I was really nervous about telling both of them, but am glad that I did and it has really helped keep me on track. I hope the rest of you have the same experience when you decide to tell your friends and family. Big grin FYI, back is feeling better W8d1 today Smile Shins improving - staying on the treadmill on no incline seems to be helping.
                          CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My run (w5d1) felt really good today. I'm starting to get the hang of the mental game when I need to just get past the minor physical discomforts that would have me stop and walk. I think I could've done more than a 5 minute run but I didn't push it. Thursday will be enough. I do a route where I go out and back. On the way back today, I was watching the rain move in (very cool!) and it hit me just as I got to the end of my run. It was so nice walking in the race on my cooldown. Yes And while I was gone, my DH told my sister about my 5K in August and when she talked to her DH, she told him. So yeah, we talked a bit about the running stuff so it's all good. That self consciousness is still there a bit but only a tiny bit. Wink Thanks to everyone who shared their stories about their athletic relatives/friends and the self consciousness. It really helps.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Wingz

Professional Noob

Ok, for those of you who don't know Wingz is MY sister. Shocked I started trying to start running back in December, but had multiple start and stops. When I finally told her this Spring what I was trying to do she was very supportive and directed me to this site. My step-dad is a ex-marathoner and ran Boston back in the 80's before messing his knees up - he has been supportive - but wishes I were racewalking instead so my knees don't end up like his. As you may know, Wingz did a half-marathon last May and has really changed her physical condition in the last 2 years and it has been inspiring to me to see this transformation. She was never nearly as obese as I am (I am 255 and 5'8") but I would guess she has probably lost 30+ lbs through a combination of running and martial arts. I guess where I was going, is that I was really nervous about telling both of them, but am glad that I did and it has really helped keep me on track. I hope the rest of you have the same experience when you decide to tell your friends and family. Big grin FYI, back is feeling better W8d1 today Smile Shins improving - staying on the treadmill on no incline seems to be helping.
                              Glad your shins are feeling better. And that back must be better too, since you're not talking about it. Big grin I'm 5'5", and when I started running I was 210 pounds and actively gaining 1/2 pound per week and had been for months. I also started trying to get my eating under control at the same time. I'm hanging out around 160 now, so that's 50 pounds, thankyouverymuch. Tongue The weight loss has made a HUGE difference in my life, especially in how I feel about myself. And FWIW, Dad has tried several times to talk me into racewalking too. However, I love running; I don't love racewalking. I'd probably not stick with racewalking, so running is 10000X better for me. Wink By the way, there have been longitudinal studies that show that being a runner doesn't make any difference with whether or not someone's going to develop arthritis in their knees, etc. Perhaps it's because obesity is so hard on the joints.. Confused Plus, I'd rather develop arthritis in my knees 30 years from now than die from a heart attack 20 years from now... Roll eyes

Roads were made for journeys...

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Meg - you are doing great. And you should be proud of where you are at. I find that most runners are very supportive of beginners. Obi - sorry you didn't PR, but you still ran a great race! MoonStar - biking is excellent cross training for runners. And it is good you are listening to your body. And good for you for taking charge of yourself and moving. I'm sure Wingz and your dad are very proud of you. PolePole - hope it isn't anything serious. I'm glad you are getting it checked out. runswithdogs - you made me laugh. I had a friend that said she saw me running when I first started, and my reply was I better get up earlier so I'm back in the house before others are out! kiwi - no problem repeating weeks. In fact, it is better than pushing and getting hurt. No one said you had to finish in 9 weeks! Yelie - welcome back. Wingz - 50 pounds! Wow! That is a HUGE accomplishment. As for me, I did a short run Monday - the heat/humidity got to me. Back out yesterday and lasted for 25 minutes before I had to walk. My back is much better, but I just need to work back up to the 30 minutes again. I think I'll hang out for 30 minute runs for awhile before starting back on OHR.