Charlotte, NC area runners

Gastonia Long Run (Read 243 times)

old-runner

Anybody else doing the long run this Sunday? Shashi... you still going?? I'll be at Ashbrook by the track at 6:30 a.m. (Sunday 07/11/10) so whoever can make it come on out. Mike Wilson said he'd be there this week. I know CliveFenster's not coming this week and I don't think Lpadg was planning on it either, but you guys keep in touch about when you can make it again. I'm planning on a long run every Sunday morning until October unless I've got a race that day.

It was a lot of fun last week but that would be one miserable run if I tried to do it alone!

Richard I wish I could make it. I'm on kid duty so I won't make this one.  I'll let you know again when I can get there again.
      old-runner

No problemo Lynwood... I didn't think you were planning on it this week anyway.

Hope you were recovered for your Dilworth run last Monday!

Thanks Richard.  I did recover and could have actually run the Monday run hard if I wanted to. I ran easy though.  I was totally suprised. That was a real confidence booster too. I'll probably run a 12 miler on the McAlpine Greenway Monday evening, then maybe try a longer one the following week.

When: 0630 Sunday, 18JUL2010

Where: Ashbrook HS parking lot (Dunkin Donuts side)

I'll be there this week.

My schedule calls for 18 miles.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

When: 0630 Sunday, 18JUL2010

Where: Ashbrook HS parking lot (Dunkin Donuts side)

I'll be there this week.

My schedule calls for 18 miles.

Good! I'll be there and will plan on 18 miles... * I think * ...

I was going to run 10 miles yesterday and had to cut it off at a little over 5 because of pain in my right knee that had me limping... Yikes! That's the first time that's ever happened. Funny thing is it doesn't hurt at all when I walk on it... just when I'm running. According to my log I've run 50 miles the past two weeks and before that I was at 40 miles a week, so maybe the 20% increase (uh... is that math right?) was too much. Anyhoo, I should know by the weekend but I think I'll be fine... I think.

Richard, I think the slightly faster run Sunday might have something to do with it as well.  My 7 miler last night was miserable in the high humidity and a residual hamstring soreness.  I don't really mind the soreness as that means that I am working hard enough, it's the heat and humidity that are making these runs less than enjoyable.
                old-runner

Richard, I think the slightly faster run Sunday might have something to do with it as well.  My 7 miler last night was miserable in the high humidity and a residual hamstring soreness.  I don't really mind the soreness as that means that I am working hard enough, it's the heat and humidity that are making these runs less than enjoyable.

Could have been something like that. I ran 6 miles today and felt fine with no knee pain at all so I'm hoping it was just a temporary thing. 

Looking forward to Sunday morning!

old-runner

My apologies to CliveFenster and Happyfeet... Glad you guys made it out there this morning. After a 5k at 9:30 last night in Morganton I got home and went to sleep about 2:00 a.m. No problem making it to the run at 6:30 a.m. but I started getting the same intermittent pain in my right knee that slowed me down last week and after about 11.5 miles I had to call my wife to come get me because it was getting worse instead of better. Anyhoo, that's the story if anybody's wondering what happened.

It looks like my recent jump from 40 to 50 miles per week might have not been a great idea after all so I'm gonna slow down this week and regroup and hope a little rest and ice will get me back to normal then go back to maybe 40 miles a week and rebuild slowly from there.

Hope you guys made it back to your cars in two pieces... I noticed you were walking when I passed you on the way home! Guess I should have asked if you wanted a ride but I figured you were just taking a temporary breather.

For the first time in forever, I got a side stitch.  Darn thing just wouldn't go away, and it was getting worse as we ran.  Grrr.  So we ran when I could run and walked when I couldn't run.

Good company, not the best workout.  Oh well.

Hope your knee is doing better!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I can't believe that 2/3of the field got injured today.

It was a good enough run for me in the heat, still getting used  the 12+ mile distance, and we cannot run slow enough or take enough breaks for me right now, so it's all good.  If we can keep this  up for a couple of months until the cooler weather is here, I am excited about the fall racing.

old-runner

A day that will live in infamy!

I'm ready to get back out there next Sunday and give it another try although I might need to build those long run miles up a little more slowly.

My knee's feeling pretty good now but I think I'll tiptoe through the tulips for a few days so I don't anger the running gods.

Don't ya'll go out and get yourselves hurt.  I hope all is well.

old-runner

Welp... my knee's getting worse each day. I hobbled through 4 miles this morning then went to Sports Authority and bought one of those little braces that goes just below your knee and hoped that would help. I figured I'd try it out with another 4-mile run this evening but it didn't help at all. I only lasted 1 mile. Bummer!
                                Richard, is it the outside of you knee, or below the knee cap?