Charlotte, NC area runners

We're not #1 (Read 14 times)

Tar Heel Mom

kween

In fact. we're #36.

The comments at the bottom about cyclists were kind of funny. Otherwise, not so funny.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Yeah, it is going to take a while for Charlotte to fix this issue.

-Adrian

A safe bike path from the suburbs to Uptown would be a good start.  There is no way to get from Gaston County/Northern Suburbs by bike into town without risking your life.

If you run the Booty Loop run every Tue evening this gets reinforced as you run along the greenway between the Morehead underpass and the ramp up to Presbyterian where you literally have to hold your breathe for the 50 yards where you have all of these smokers standing around (and polluting the air)!

Shashi, is the McMullen greenway still partitioned/blocked off at 3 miles and 1.25 miles because of the I485 construction (are there detours or are you forced to turn around)?

Rob

The Greenway is still closed at those points one of them possibly until July next year.  There are detours posted that will bypass that section, so the greenway is now about 4.5 miles plus a mile in civilization, so can still get about 10 -11 miles round trip.

Out of towners that I took biking there were actually impressed that they are building a couple of interstate overpasses on this rush job rather than permanently bypass that section.  Lowered expectations I guess.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Those smokers are there under that bridge in the morning. For the most part, they are hospital workers on their breaks. Yes, our health care workers are on a smoking break.

Is the McMullen greenway closed due to flooding? I saw the closure a few weeks ago and haven't been back there since. It's hard to find a good place for tempo runs.

For tempo options -- The Charlotte Runners Tue (Booty Loop starting fr Metropolitan ~ 5.1mi) and Thur (P-Stone ~4.5mi) are two group runs where many of the folks will tempo (and you have a big group to run with). In South Park, Carnegie Blvd (behind Barclay Downs & also Piedmont Row) is almost a perfect 1k loop you can run on the street (with hardly any traffic in the early morning, after 6pm and on any weekend). And the Dilworth Speed Loop (on the street) is relatively flat (and light traffic) that offers a 800m marked course (starting at East and Dilworth West to Dilworth East, there are markings every 200m on the left side of the road), or a 2 mile loop (mostly all on the road except the portion on South & East) if you start at Dilworth East and Worthington, go up Worthington to South, right onto East, take first right on Cleveland and then left back on Worthington, right on Dilworth West, left onto Dilworth East (and when your back at Worthington its ~ 2miles).

Rob

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Oh, wow, thanks! I have been running in this town for 20 years and didn't know about the Dilworth St. Loop.