Charlotte, NC area runners

Thunder Road - 12/12/09 (Read 224 times)

old-runner

Time for Thunder Road... It's the big one! Who's going and which race are you running? I'm running the half marathon and hoping to do a little better than last year, which was my first half mary. Linda's running the 5k.

Note to self -- Start closer to the front, don't drink a bunch of coffee before the race, and remember to tie up your shorts so they don't fall down when you put a water bottle in the pocket.

Those steps alone should enable me to do better than last year!

Count me in for 13.1 Richard.  I'm looking to do better than last year also. 

I've been wondering about what kind of taper to do and was thinking about maybe only running 8 miles this week and get to the line totally rested.  Any suggestions?  I was only able to peak at 30 anyway, so I wasn't running that many miles as it is.  Better than last year though. 

I drank too much coffee last year also, so I know what you mean. 

old-runner

I think 8 miles sounds like a reasonable taper for you this week. I don't know if it's a good idea or not but I was planning on 8 miles Monday, 6 miles Tuesday, 4 miles Wednesday, 2 miles Thursday, then nothing Friday, just so I'll have 33 miles for the week after the HM so I won't be tempted to go out and limp around on Sunday trying to get more miles in.

I'll be on the lookout for you. I'm going to try to get to the starting line early so I can get as close to the front as possible. Come on up there if you want to get a good start... shouldn't be too crowded!

What works for me for a half marathon is do almost what Richard says, but a bit fewer miles, Mon - 4 (due to work issues and not running related), Tue - 6, Wed 4, Thu - 2 and nothing on Friday.  I sometimes do nothing on Thursady and run a very easy 2 miles on Friday.  My legs are a bit beat up these days, so going to take it extra easy this week. 

I'd be happy with anything around 1:52 which would be almost a 4 minute improvement from the Dowd Y run from  a month ago, and about 8  minute improvement over last year, not anywhere near Richard's progress, but I'll take it.

old-runner

Hey Shashi... Glad to know you'll be there too. I'm still wanting to run sometime over here when you're ready (let me know). I've been running by myself all the time so I usually end up on the treadmill. I went over the MR one day and the weather was okay but on the cold side. I ran around once and didn't see any sign of life so I got in my car and drove to the gym where there were at least some people breathing. I'm not nuts over cold weather but I really don't mind the cold as much as the solitude, if you know what I mean.

Are we there yet?

I will be volunteering near plaza midwood near the end @ 23 or so...

great to see you guys finish strong!!!

old-runner

I will be volunteering near plaza midwood near the end @ 23 or so...

great to see you guys finish strong!!!

Hey Mike... Congrats on your 2nd place overall finish in the Baton Rouge Beach Marathon last week! That had to be fun, but would have been even more fun if that one dude who beat you would have stayed home!

What a great place to be volunteering... mile 23. You get to see all of that suffering and all of those people who don't want to run 3 more miles. Should be interesting out there. I for one am hoping for a surprise warm front to come in before then instead of cold rain and snow but I don't think it's too likely.

under a rock

I hope the weather clears up for Saturday. I'm not doing Thunder Road but I am going up to the Greensboro area for a 10k trail race. I don't mind the race in the bad weather but I'm not sure I want to drive that far in it. There is still two days for the weather to change it's mind and I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
                    Don't want to jinx the weather, but I like what I see now better than the forecast this morning.

I wonder if I can switch to the 5k?  I guess ya'll would consider me a wimp.   

That trail race sounds fun.  

under a rock

I wonder if I can switch to the 5k?  I guess ya'll would consider me a wimp.   

That trail race sounds fun.  

Trail races are always fun!

I'm so thrilled with the change in a forecast!

old-runner

Shashi's right... only 10% chance of rain, for the time being anyway. I guess that's subject to change. Gonna be cold though.

Lynwood, are you serious about switching to the 5k? If you're not up for the half marathon Saturday they might let you switch... there was something on the official website about it (runcharlotte.com). You might want to take a look and see what the deal is. We won't talk bad about you!

Ashley, just wondering... Is there something magical about the trail races besides the fact that they're easier on your ITB? I had thought about doing a trail race one time during the summer but backed out and went to a road race instead. Just wondering if there's actually some difference about those races that makes them more appealing to some people. I've heard a few people like you that really seem to love them.

I was just kidding.  I wouldn't switch.  I'm looking forward to it. 

I jokingly asked the manager of Charlotte Running Company how fast I would have to run the half to be sponsored.  He asked me what my goal was and I told him.  He pulled out one of their long sleeved running shirts and told me that was my reward and sponsorship for hitting the goal.   Now I have a little added pressure to run faster when I feel like slowing down. 

under a rock

Ashley, just wondering... Is there something magical about the trail races besides the fact that they're easier on your ITB? I had thought about doing a trail race one time during the summer but backed out and went to a road race instead. Just wondering if there's actually some difference about those races that makes them more appealing to some people. I've heard a few people like you that really seem to love them.

Trails provide more mental challenge. It's not just trying to give your best physical effort, it's that plus using your mind, balance, and coordination to make good time. You've got to be aware of the footing in front of you so you don't eat dirt. Twisty steep down hills and leaping over stuff is exhilarating. You get through a technical spot and for me it's a rush to think I just did that and am still standing!

The last race I did I actually talked with other runners during the race. The terrain makes for easy conversation starters during the race. I've rarely ever had conversations while racing but in the two trail races I've done I've found myself to be more chatty.

Richard,

Trails strengthen your ankles and balancing muscles.  I tripped plenty of times, but always able to catch myself before having a face plant.  I attribute this to my trail running last year.  Also a great way of breaking up the monotony of running on sidewalks all the time.  Running on softer ground heals a lot of minor injuries as well.  It's just that this year my life got super busy and do not have time to get to a trail.

Ashley, if you like trails, then we should do the Kings mountain 16 mile loop sometime this winter/spring, before it gets too warm.  Not too technical, no big hills either.  Used to take me about 3 hours, maybe a little less now.   Nice day to spend a saturday morning.