Charlotte, NC area runners

Great Harvest Bread Co. 5K MAY 22nd (Read 214 times)

Are we there yet?

Sooo.. Unfortunately I didn't make it to the twilight 5K and I heard that it was Hot!

Mom had breast cancer surgery that day and I was at her side... don't worry she is a fighter!!

Anyone going to run this new course in South Charlotte in a few weeks??

i mean the clean air 5K.. LOL!

old-runner

Hey Mike,

Hope things work out well for your mom. I didn't make the Twilight race either. I'll be missing the Great Harvest Bread 5k on May 22nd too. I really wanted to do it because it's a double points race in the Run for Your Life Grand Prix, but my daughter invited me to come up and run the Brooklyn Half Marathon with her that same day so I decided to not worry about the Grand Prix this year. Brooklyn sounds like fun but I hear it's a little competitive in NYC!

Are we there yet?

Have fun Richard..

man, I was just blogging about the NYC marathon and I saw this.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boauNvB9h6I&feature=related

New York has got some kind of energy!!! Have FUN!! Gonna be hard not to have fun with a Coney Island Finish

old-runner

Great video... first time I've seen it! I'm excited about running the NYC marathon this year.

Brooklyn should be pretty good too but not nearly as much as the big one. Yep, if the weather's good it'll be great finishing in Coney Island. It starts in Prospect Park and my daughter just lives about a mile from there so we're just walking to the starting line. Not quite sure how we're getting back from Coney Island though!

Mike, I do look forward to your mother getting well.  

That was a good video.  I wish I was running NYC. 

I will be running the Thin Mint 5K on the 22nd out at Carowinds with my Girl Scout daughters so will miss this 5k.  Looks like a good one.

Are we there yet?

richard - thats AWESOME I didnt realize you were running NYC as well.. i know you must be pumped, especially to have family up there..

I actually proposed to my wife at Bethesda Fountain in Central Park so this will be a very special last couple of miles to celebrate with her.. plus the time away from our 3yr old and 4 mo old children  We love em but you know how it is...

Lpadg - good luck in Carowinds this weekend, I'd like to here how that goes b/c that race has been on my radar for a bit.. maybe next year..

Thanks for the well wishes for my mom.. cancer is out with surgery now its 4mo chemo and then 4mo radiation.. in God's economy nothing goes to waste and this experience will make us all stronger..

Congrats ChakaKahn, I was looking up the time for a friend of mine who set a PR at the Run for Clean Air 5K, and I see you won the race.  Nice job.  

I had a great time at Carowinds running the Thin Mint 5K.  My oldest ran the full 5K without stopping for the first time ever.  I ran with my 9 year old who did great, never complained, and had a smile on her face the whole time.  She loved the double pass through the park pointing out all the rides she loves, and the new ones we will do this year. 

There was a fast 14 year old that ran sub 6 I think, but overall, I wouldn't target this race as a serious one.  It seems totally designed as a fun run 5K with 99% of the people running with their girl scouts and family.  The park did provide people stationed throughout to guide you through the course, but running at the speed you run, there could be places that could get confusing, plus a lot of sharp turns etc.  It's a great race to get kids involved with running though.

I think the most shocking thing I experienced was the numerous parents yelling at their kids for stopping to walk or because they were not running fast enough.  I almost chimed in a couple of times to tell them to let their kids have fun, as this race was designed.  Talk about a good way to destroy motivation.  I wonder how those kids perceive running now!  

Are we there yet?

Thanks Lpadg!

Yea, I agree that sounds really odd that the parents were so militant at Carowinds of all places trying to run their kids in the ground.. sounds like a good way to build a resentment for later on in life.. hmmm

that sounds like an awesome performance by your 9 yr old as well.. we are getting my 3 yr old involved a bit in the mile fun runs and he seems to be stretching his wings a bit..

btw.. good luck on your goal to get to Boston in 2011.. have you picked a fall marathon to run before registration 10.18??

let me know if I can offer any advice as that was my same goal when I got serious about 2 years ago.. there are tons of group runs thru the week if wanted to join CRC.. i can get you plugged in..

happy running

I just updated my Boston goal to 2012.  8 minute miles for 26.2.  3:30. There's no way I could get there this year.  I can run 5k's and 10k's below an 8 minute pace.  I was counting on a sub 8 half later this year.  I wonder how much longer it would take on the other 13.1?   Until now, I haven't been able to run the miles I need to, but now feel optimistic.

Are we there yet?

take ur HM time and double it then add 15 min that will be approx marathon time

good luck!! you can do it!!

take ur HM time and double it then add 15 min that will be approx marathon time

That's a good start.  However I think It depends on a few other things as well.  I fade drastically after 10 miles, so  I'd probably need a little longer that that like HM time X 2 + 20 - 25 min.  However  for someone like Richard, who seems to have excellent aerobic capacity, it could be as little as HM time X 2 + 10 min.  Experience racing the marathon matters as well as I think most first timers go out too fast and end up with the wheels coming off after 16-18 miles. For the first timers I have not heard from a single runner that they went out too slow, only the other way around.

Anyway I am going to test this theory this fall at the Dowd Half  and the Thunder road full.

old-runner

Hey Shashi... Glad to hear you're doing the Thunder Road full marathon this year! You're right about those wheels falling off when you go out too fast. I don't know about my aerobic capacity but I know the one full marathon I ran I went out too fast and was undertrained. I'm trying to prepare better for NYC this November so we'll see how that goes. I'm definitely going to try to go out slower because of my first experience and everybody else's horror stories.

Mike (ChakaKahn) is always in good shape for his marathons and that formula might hold up best for the young and in shape as opposed to the older and not quite so ready for it runners. 

Richard, how many miles are you looking to get to?  And have you thought about a goal time?
                            old-runner

Richard, how many miles are you looking to get to?  And have you thought about a goal time?

I've been trying to nudge my way up to 50+ miles per week but I've been stuck at around 40. I feel fine though -- it's just been hard to fit in more miles because of the time it takes. 

As far as time, I just need 3:45 to qualify for Boston so I'd like to do that. I've been under 1:40 for several half marathons this past year so if Mike's formula could hold up for me that would be 1:40+1:40+15... is that right? So what's that... 215 minutes? A little over 3-1/2 hours I think (nobody ever accused me of being good at math). Or if I used my half marathon PR time (1:33) it would be a little under 3-1/2 hours (93+93+15=201).

So I'd be happy to finish under 3:45, happier to finish under 3:40, and happiest to finish under 3:30. 

If my first marathon was any type of indicator, maybe I should just be happy not to end up on a stretcher after the race!

Are we there yet?

Richard .. your marathon PR is a bit dated considering the dynamic existence of your runnning career. Cody Angell acutally pointed out that math equation to me which I think leans on the conservative side actually, but courses/temps/etc all play factors obviously. 1:33 phew!! No wonder you are collecting so many trophies.

I think its in the bag but when are you gonna take a swing at it? you are gonna LOVE boston

I've got a big one this weekend in Duluth MN @ Grandma's Marathon.. weather permitting hope to PR

btw.. which race is setr to be 100? its fast approaching