atomno2 18 mi 3:01:59
    rossruns 17.3 mi 3:15:02
    jdbrown 9.1 mi 1:07:59
    theyapper66 3.2 mi 30:00
    mskeever* 3.1 mi 0:00
    runslikeafraggle 2 mi

26:00

Last week's race results:

old-runner -- Vulcan Run 10k (Birmingham AL) -- Goal = <42:31; sub-45; not croak/break something.  Result = 41:44 (PR!).

This week's races:

atomno2 -- 12NOV2011 -- Thunder Road HM (Charlotte NC) -- Goals: (A) 1:55; (B) 2:00; (C) 2:05.

Lpadg -- 12NOV2011 -- Thunder Road HM (Charlotte NC) -- Goals: (A) 1:42; (B) 1:43; (C) 1.44.

nanxin -- 12NOV2011 -- Thunder Road (Charlotte NC) -- Goals: (A) 3:15 for BQ; (B) sub-3:30, (C) finish.

rossruns-- 12NOV2011 -- Thunder Road HM (Charlotte NC) -- Goals: (A) 1:50, (B) 1:55, (C) finish.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

nanxin

Richard, congratulation on your new 10K PR, my 10K PR is 41:45, 1 second slower than yours. Smile

I will also be running Thunder Road Marathon this weekend, it will be my first marathon ever. Goal - A) 3:15:00 (my BQ time); B) under 3:30, C) finish it. I know I should take B) or C) as the more realistic goals, but I cannot resist the small chance to be BQed, even I know it is really small. I was doing pace calculation for past week all week long, I finally decided to run 7:25 pace until I cannot maintain it anymore.

Scheduled Races:

Tokyo Marathon (March 2020) 

Boston Marathon (April 2020)

rossruns

Congratulations on the PR, Richard! That's awesome!

Based on advice from the group, I'm going into the 1/2 this weekend with the following goals: (A) 1:50, (B) 1:55, (C) Finish.  Mostly I'm just excited to run my first 1/2, and especially pumped to see what 3+ months of actually following a training plan does for me here.

Richard,

nice PR and age group win at Vulcan. What is next for you? Are you running the 1/2 at Thunder Road or taking the weekend off? Assume you'll be at Turkey Trot in South Pk Thanxgiving?

Rob

old-runner

Good luck to everybody running at Thunder Road this weekend (Han, Ross, Adam, etc.)... Who else is running there?

Rob, are you doing it? I decided to take the weekend off because my daughter's coming to visit. 

Next up for me is the Santa Scramble!! Everybody needs to run that one... best 5k of the year and it's been my fastest race of the year all three years that I've been running. It's also the one where Rob twisted his ankle last year -- after the race when he was walking to his car! 

And I'll be running the Southpark Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving... who else is running that one? I had a bad race there last year and I'm hoping to run better this time around. Gotta lay off the junk food until after the race!

Next up for me is the Santa Scramble!! Everybody needs to run that one... best 5k of the year and it's been my fastest race of the year all three years that I've been running.

Unfortunately, that's the same weekend as the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon.

And I'll be running the Southpark Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving... who else is running that one?

I'm hoping to do either that one or the Lake Norman Turkey Trot.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Richard,

Santa Scramble and Turkey Trot this November were "in my plan" (wanted to make amends for that incident fr last year which ultimately caused that stress fracture in my foot). But that plan has unfortunately changed. I have a small tear in my right quadricep about 2" above my knee (felt soreness/pain in knee on Thu, rested a day, ran a strong workout on Sat & knee felt good in warmup and workout, but after it hurt like crazy, the pain in knee is fr tear in muscle that caused muscle to contract and pull very hard on tendon connected to knee -- knee now feels fine). Had therapy today, may be cleared to run easy by end of week if healing progresses and then will have to keep things slow for another week to ten days so racing is out of the question. I can walk to the Turkey Trot start line so disappointed about not being able to do that this year!

Rob

Clive, add me to the Thunder Road HM list. 

A)1:42+

B)1:43+

C)1.44+

1:45 - 1:49 would still be a PR so that's not the end of the world either.

Richard, I'm planning on running the Santa Scramble again this year.  I should shoot for 21's I would guess.  I plan on bringin my daughter Jillian for that one.  She had asked to bump her race distance up to the 8K Turkey Trot (gotta like that) but can't work that out.  Imagine her mother asking for help on Thanksgiving morning when there's racing to be done!  I would like to run the Turkey Trot also. Man, all this November racing is starting to make me feel like you!  Hope my legs will hold up.

Looks like Lynwood, Ross and atomno2 kicked some butt this morning!  Nanxin is still out there in the full, with what appears to be PERFECT weather for a race.

MTA: make that Lynwood, Ross, atomno2 and nanxin kicking butt!  Way to represent, Team Charlotte!

-- Dick LeBeau

atomno2

PR and then some! Had a great run!  I uploaded my data for all to see.  Now off to the Builtmore House!  I will write about the race when I get some time.  

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

Thanks Clive!  Great PR Atomno2!  Man, what a great day, and a great day for running!!!

My target pace was 7:50 for a 1:42:30 and I hit the pace almost to the second for 11 miles.  I think based on where I am training wise, it was the perfect aggressive target for me, and I went for it. (hindsight might show otherwise)  Since I don't run with a Garmin, I printed a little pace cheat sheet and was always amazed at each mile, that I was dead on with no GPS.  That was fun....then....  I know you don't hit the "wall" on a half, so I guess I hit the "lack of long run" wall and I came un-glued at mile 11.  Yeah, I can fix that and I will.  I lost most of my 2 minutes during this stretch.  I pulled it together a little after climbing Morehead, and finished with what I think was close to an 8 minute mile, so that's cool.   Now, I have no idea what goal to set for Myrtle Beach 1/2.  It will be aggressive....   

Did ya'll see that Dick Beardsley ran the 1/2?  He ran a 1:33 something.  I had few friends beat him.  No clue how much he runs these days.  I'll let them know, then explain to them who he is.  His book is good I think. 

MTA: forgot to state that this was about 5 minutes faster than last year, so I was very happy with the race.

nanxin

My chip time is 3:19:08, I uploaded my Gamin data for all to see.

Overall the whole experience was great, I didn't feel tired or wall,  but I started cramping from mile 19, I was on target to 3:15:00 before that, but whenever I have to stop to easy my muscles, time escaped quickly. But I am glad with the result and enjoied the whole running time, I think everyone should have great time today, weath is beautify, I definatly will run it again.

Scheduled Races:

Tokyo Marathon (March 2020) 

Boston Marathon (April 2020)

old-runner

Congrats to everybody who ran Thunder Road... nice to see all those PR's... wish I would have had one of them!

I was kicking myself when I saw that Dick Beardsley won my age group with a time about 1-1/2 minutes slower than I had two weeks ago at the Spinx. That would have been a story to tell... me and Dick Beardsley in a Duel in the Sun Part Two! Of course I didn't make it to the race because we had company. Oy vey!

atomno2

Ok, so about the race.  I really thought I was in trouble the first 3 miles.  I could not get my breathing right, I felt terrible to say the least.  I changed my garmin to the screen where I can only see heart rate and distance and decided to forget about the times/pace and just run.  Within half a mile I felt like i was on cruise control.   At mile 5 I took my first Gu. By mile 6.5 I was felling wonderful.  I was calm, passing people left and right.  My only thought was how long will this last?  At mile 9 I took my second Gu (planned) and was still pushing hard.  Around mile 11 is when I started to wonder if I was going to be close to my " A " goal. I did not dare look for fear of messing up what I had going.  I tried to surge and make a last ditch effort to get there and it paid off.  In June of this year I ran Charity Chase at 2:06:14. I ran this race in 1:53:38. I am very pleased with this race.  Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories and sharing your logs.  I look forward to Monday each week just to see how everyone's training is going.  

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen