old-runner 40.7 mi 5:41:41
    Lpadg 27.6 mi 4:01:31
    jdbrown 24.6 mi 3:22:16
    CliveF 22.7 mi 3:17:30
    rossruns 20.6 mi 3:43:28
    atomno2 15.2 mi 2:42:08
    runslikeafraggle 5 mi 1:02:46

Last week's race outcomes:

CliveF -- Fall Harvest 5k (Huntersville NC) -- Goal = (A) 20:00; (B) sub-21; (C) finish uninjured.  Result = 20:55.

Lpadg -- Runway 5k (Charlotte NC) -- Goal = (A) sub-22:16; (B) sub-23.  Result = 22:53.

old-runner -- Spinx Half Marathon (Greenville, SC) -- Goal = 1:35:nn  Result = 1:31:57 (PR!).

This week's planned races:

old-runner -- Vulcan Run 10k (Birmingham AL) -- Goal = (A) <42:31; (B) sub-45; (C) not to croak or break something.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Excellent race Richard.  Even though you don't want to believe it, cooler temps do get faster race times, might be uncomfortable, but that's physics, you dropping all that weight may be helping too.

Clive, glad to hear that the ankle is behaving and you had near PR.

Lynwood is getting seriously fast, need to run with this group after my marathon.

I am kind of mad that I could not run a race this weekend.  Such great running weather both Sat and Sunday (atleast here in Gastonia)

rossruns

Nice races, all three of you! You're definitely inspiring me right now to get out there and race...

atomno2

I am running the Thunder Road Half and have no idea what to expect as far as the course is concerned.  I have much more mileage this go around compared to my 1st one (Charity Chase in Hickory, in June).  I have heard to expect hills.  For those that have ran this before what is your plan?  My goals are A- 1:55 B: 2:00 and C: 2:05 (I will PR this).  Thanks in advance for any help!!

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

Thunder road is a PR course for me, definitely a minute or 2 faster than Charity Chase. This course is hilly but nothing super long or real steep. Early rollers, flattens out a bit in the middle and uphill finish. It could be the weather each of the past 3 years, but this has been my best HM course in the area.
            old-runner

Adam... Compared to the Charity Chase, Thunder Road is downhill! Those Charity Chase hills are killers. There are definitely some hills but nothing in comparison.

I'm hoping to break my 2-year-old PR in the 10k this weekend at the same place where I ran it in 2009. It's the Vulcan Run in Birmingham, Alabama. I know I'm running better now than I was then but it's hard to say on any given day so I guess I'll just find out Saturday. Weather should be pretty good for it though.

old-runner -- Vulcan Run 10k (Birmingham, Alabama) -- Goal = (A) 42:30; (B) sub-45; (C) Not to croak or break something.

Thanks guys.  I'm finally able to start building more miles as my leg lets me so things look a little better. I've become very creative with calf / achilles issues.   Since I didn't get my mileage quite where I wanted it for Thunder Road Half, I signed up for the Myrtle Beach Half in February.  That will be my first time there.

Shashi, are you running Thunder Road this year?

Lynwood, you read my mind as I'm planning on running the 1/2 at Myrtle Bch in Feb (hedging until mid-Dec to sign-up) & that will be my first at that distance (have been adjusting my training over the past 4-5 weeks for a longer race). I ran the "5 on the Booty" tonite and your right about being a great run...about 35-40 runners. And your right that the majority of folks are running it at race speed or tempo (I could hear "heavy breathing" throughout & except for the couple w/the dog I settled behind for about 3/4 of a mile nobody else could hold a conversation).

Richard, I would think that your streak of strong performances will continue your strong streak in Birmingham (assuming you don't bundle up too much!). What is your weight down to?

Rob

old-runner

Richard, I would think that your streak of strong performances will continue your strong streak in Birmingham (assuming you don't bundle up too much!). What is your weight down to?

I'm right around 115 pounds now. I wore red knee socks on Halloween and went out as a thermometer.

Just kidding about the weight. I've been around 138-140 for a couple months now. It seems that's where my body wants to be. 

Speaking of Thunder Road, I think I might skip it this year and take that week off. I've run it for the past three years and it's okay but nothing I'm that excited about. My daughter's coming down from NY that Thursday and is leaving Saturday at about 1:00 pm so I think I'm going to skip racing altogether that week, plus for the next two days it's $65 to sign up for the half and $90 after that and at the expo. A bit much really. I know nobody asked but I just thought if I said I wasn't racing maybe I actually wouldn't.

I am not running Thunder road either, have a marathon on Nov 20.  Hate how the change of date messed up my 2 favorite races, Thunder Road and Spencer Mountain 10 miler.

I'm not running Thunder Road either.  I'm not in shape to race that far.  Plus, I'm crewing for a guy running a marathon on 20NOV; my job is to protect him from flying monkey attacks.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I now have a pacer for the first half  who I am also supposed to race to the finish if we both are not picking flowers on the return, a crew and a pacer for the final 10K (right?). Life is good.