Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 29APR-05MAY 2013 (Read 11 times)

Running:

CarolinaBlue 54.0 mi
    Pete.Hu 47.4 mi
    Happyfeet 45.9 mi
    amlinz 39.9 mi
    Strick 38.9 mi
    old-runner 33.5 mi
    Joe in Raleigh 31.4 mi
    CliveF  28.1 mi
    Lpadg 26.5 mi
    TWHgal 25.8 mi
    Tar Heel Mom 24.2 mi
    theyapper66  20.0 mi
    nanxin 19.6 mi
    fraggle 19.5 mi
    aponi 16.1 mi
    alholley 13.0 mi
    SForrester 10.5 mi
    jdbrown 8.0 mi

Last week:

RUNNER

DATE

EVENT

DIST

GOAL

RESULT

old-runner 27APR2013 Kings Mtn. HM Clover SC sub-1:40 1:39:40
    TWHgal
    27APR2013 Kings Mtn.
    HM Clover SC not PW 2:20:26

This week:

RUNNER

DATE

EVENT

DIST

GOAL

RESULT

old-runner 04MAY2013 Mt. Holly Springfest 5km Mt. Holly NC sub-22 20:58
    CliveF 04MAY2013 Mt. Holly Springfest 5km Mt. Holly NC Insanity! DNS! Angry
    Happyfeet 04MAY2013 Mt. Holly Springfest 5km Mt. Holly NC sub-23 23:57

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Congratualtions to Pete on winning the Run For Boston with the highest mileage in 2.62 hours.

This past week's mileage is likely to be my high water mark at least until July, feeling a bit beat up, owing to faster runs the whole week on top of higher miles, wanted to hit 150 miles for the month.  I know I get a break from running for the next 5-6 weeks due to my travel to India. Don't want to run much in May in India when early morning temps are likely to be 85-90 degrees with highs around 105-110

Have fun in India, Happyfeet!

I'm going to run the Mount Holly Springfest this SAT, for no better reason that I like the name.  The important part of the morning is that I'm racing three consecutive weekends (Richard, that's a lot for me), so I can experiment with different race tactics and approaches without being so invested in the outcome.

This weekend, I'm throwing myself off the cliff.  Fingers crossed.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Change of plans, not going on my vacation until the 17th, so hoping to run at least one race, the MT Holly 5K is a possibility, even though it's one of my least favorite courses, its close to home and 8:30 start time will work this week.

MTA The modified Mt Holly course makes it less likely that I will have dogs chasing me like a couple of years ago near the park by the river, the course may just have become a little more un-scenic if that was possible.  There's got to be better routes than this in Mt Holly unless the organizers want us to do a tour of downtown.

old-runner

Have fun in India, Happyfeet!

I'm going to run the Mount Holly Springfest this SAT, for no better reason that I like the name.  The important part of the morning is that I'm racing three consecutive weekends (Richard, that's a lot for me), so I can experiment with different race tactics and approaches without being so invested in the outcome.

This weekend, I'm throwing myself off the cliff.  Fingers crossed.

I'm planning on running Mount Holly too so I'll be on the lookout for you guys, Clive and Shashi. This is one of the few races in Gaston County (where I live) that I haven't run before. As far as a goal, I'm happy if I can get under 22 minutes in a 5k.

So Clive, what's this about "throwing myself off the cliff?" Does that mean you're running as fast as you can and see if the wheels fall off, or is there some other meaning there? Just wondering what to look for.

Change of plans, not going on my vacation until the 17th, so hoping to run at least one race, the MT Holly 5K is a possibility, even though it's one of my least favorite courses, its close to home and 8:30 start time will work this week.

MTA The modified Mt Holly course makes it less likely that I will have dogs chasing me like a couple of years ago near the park by the river, the course may just have become a little more un-scenic if that was possible.  There's got to be better routes than this in Mt Holly unless the organizers want us to do a tour of downtown.

HF, what don't you like about it?  I mapped it, and its elevation profile didn't look onerous.

-- Dick LeBeau

So Clive, what's this about "throwing myself off the cliff?" Does that mean you're running as fast as you can and see if the wheels fall off, or is there some other meaning there? Just wondering what to look for.

I'm a methodical guy (no, really!).  That serves well in longer races, but it works against me in shorter ones where you sometimes have to be more feel-oriented and gambling.  (Note: I do race by feel and not by Garmin, but I tend to meter my effort too closely to achieve a real breakthrough.)

So I'm planning to go through Mile 1 in 6:00-6:05, hit the 2-Mile in 12:10 or less; then see what's left over the third mile-plus.  Previously, I've either been (a) saner on my first-mile split or (b) stupid and then  regained sanity on the second mile.  This weekend, I plan to be insane the whole time.

-- Dick LeBeau

The elevation profile is not too bad except that all your bigger hills are where you'd be hurting the most (mile 1.5-2.5).  That is not my issue though, its just the route was kind of blah, it could be a bit more interesting running in the other direction from the school. Also I may have been scarred by that dog chasing incident, which should no longer be an issue with the new course.

I'll see you out there this Saturday, they have some door prizes in addition to age group awards, so that is a plus. With a 19:00 you may have a chance of placing fairly high at this race.

MTA The modified Mt Holly course makes it less likely that I will have dogs chasing me like a couple of years ago near the park by the river, the course may just have become a little more un-scenic if that was possible.

Shashi, were you chased by dogs during a race or during a training run there? Are puppy mills prevalent in Mount Holly, or do people simply let their dogs roam around unleashed, or is there a wild dog problem there? So you opened the door...you had dogs chasing you -- what happened? Did you outrun them or did you run up a tree or? I guess the implied to advice for Clive is that he should bring his pepper spray with him to the race and have it ready to go (and Clive, when you have to stop and pee during the race, make sure not to go off the road as your likely to attract a pack of dogs).

Rob

Two unrestrained dogs in peoples yard on the race course.  they ran after me for a while, backed off when I stopped and faced them.  Had to wait for maybe 30-40 sec (felt much longer than that at the time during the race), until they walked back, not sure if they went after anyone else after that.  I have a feeling those dogs and a highway crossing is what prompted the course change this year, but I don't anticipate the same problem this year. Have run the new course as part of training a few times, this is an older neighborhood and should be a more pleasant and slightly less hillier route.  So while Clive may not have to fear a wild animal attack, there is no place to duck into the bushes if he has to go.

Shashi,

that is absolutely a classic story! I've never heard of something like that (I could see that in a third world country but not here)! I would defer to those in this group if in this race Shashi could claim a "dog chase" adjustment to his time that day and whether the Race Director should have also made an adjustment to Shashi's time (and to be fair, add maybe 5 seconds to his time as a result of running faster for trying to elude the dogs and then subtract out the 40 seconds for the "stare down")? If anyone is good w/photoshop, they could take Shashi's picture here and photoshop two dogs nipping at his feet and this would make for a great poster for this year's race?

Shashi, do I dare ask if the race director had volunteers stationed at the highway crossing stopping traffic or was it a "proceed at your own risk" type of deal?

Rob

So I'm planning to go through Mile 1 in 6:00-6:05, hit the 2-Mile in 12:10 or less; then see what's left over the third mile-plus.  Previously, I've either been (a) saner on my first-mile split or (b) stupid and then  regained sanity on the second mile.  This weekend, I plan to be insane the whole time.

That was the plan.  What actually transpired?  DNS.  My left knee was hurting a lot yesterday evening, into the night, and still hurt when I woke up.  Deep in the knee -- a pain I haven't felt since I injured it in Fall 1998.  Crap.

There's always next week!

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Shashi,

that is absolutely a classic story! I've never heard of something like that (I could see that in a third world country but not here)! I would defer to those in this group if in this race Shashi could claim a "dog chase" adjustment to his time that day and whether the Race Director should have also made an adjustment to Shashi's time (and to be fair, add maybe 5 seconds to his time as a result of running faster for trying to elude the dogs and then subtract out the 40 seconds for the "stare down")? If anyone is good w/photoshop, they could take Shashi's picture here and photoshop two dogs nipping at his feet and this would make for a great poster for this year's race?

Shashi, do I dare ask if the race director had volunteers stationed at the highway crossing stopping traffic or was it a "proceed at your own risk" type of deal?

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

What a great photo of Shashi and the dogs! Good job on the Photoshop Paul! He ought to work that into his profile or cover photo on Facebook somehow.

Clive... Sorry to hear about the knee problem. Shashi and I were on the lookout for you and wondered what happened. Hope it's better quickly and you can get back out there.

I ran 20:58 today, my fastest 5k since last July, finishing 9th overall and beating all of the guys in my age group who were on Hoverounds.

Running a stupid hard marathon in pouring rain, with dogs on my heels yet I have a smile.

We missed you today Clive.