Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 9/27/2010 (Read 208 times)

under a rock

My taper has officially started! I started it off by a nice run in the rain at Crowders Mtn last night. I had a great time but kept reminding myself not to get too silly playing around in the puddles as to not get hurt. I was real cautious on the foot bridges and rough spots. Then there came a step made in the trail with a 6x6 that I misjudged. Oops, I got the left foot up fine but the right one slipped on the wood and I end up doing a modified split. I went down on my left knee and my right leg went out to the side scraping my calf on the edge of the 6x6. Now I have a nice bruise in that spot. Doesn't seem to bother the muscle, thank goodness! Just a reminder that I don't need to screw things up for the marathon.

theyapper

On the road again...

Welcome to Ashley's Taper!!

Here are the totals from last week.  Again, really nice mileage happening here.

NameDistance ▼Time
      CarolinaBlue 52.2 Mi 6:54:38
      Docster 38.1 Mi 5:19:10
      chuckplayer 37.2 Mi 5:21:52
      old-runner 36.2 Mi 6:04:47
      theyapper66  36.1 Mi 6:05:34
      runslikeagirl 35.5 Mi 7:23:01
      CliveFenster 34 Mi 4:52:27
      Happyfeet 31.8 Mi 5:00:08
      ChakaKahn 27.1 Mi 2:21:30
      cpaterun 26.7 Mi 4:26:45
      Lpadg 22.4 Mi 3:20:12
      asdg123 16.4 Mi 3:32:00
      alholley 8.4 Mi 1:18:56

Didn't get my run in yesterday (too much life stuff), but did 4 miles this morning.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ha looks like everyone decided to slack off a bit this past week.  I had a series of birthday parties this weekend which messed up my schedule pretty good.  Back to the grind this week.  Need a couple of good runs to get the confidence back after disappointing Birxx races.

Ha looks like everyone decided to slack off a bit this past week.

I just wanted you folks to feel good about yourselves. Evil  Well, that and tapering.

Nice races, HF!

Ashley, glad you didn't get hurt.  That's one of the things keeping me off the trails: I'm uncoordinated.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

XC practice - a little over 4 miles.  That's as close to trail running as I get.

Paul

old-runner

Happy tapering Clive and Ashley. 

Happyfeet... I tagged a photo of you on Facebook from Hit the Brixx... did you see it?

It's about six weeks until my marathon and I'm finally coming up with a plan... hope it ain't too late. I decided that since I'm so used to heart rate training I'll try a target heart rate of 150-155 during the marathon and see how it works out. I think that might be my best option. I did a 6-mile run yesterday at that rate and an 8-mile run today and it's a comfortable pace for me, although I'm not sure how it'll feel 20 miles in. Probably not great. 

Anybody racing this weekend?

I tapered from 28 miles down to 23.  I feel rested.   I'll start cranking it up some now to get ready for Thunder Road.

No race for me this weekend, but I did see a 5K race at McAlpine on the 9th that looks interesting. Home Run 5K.  I don't know anything about it.

Good tapering Ashley and glad you didn't get hurt worse.  My shoulder is still hurting from my WWC fall.  I'm sure being 46 has nothing to do with it. 

No race for me.  I was planning on doing the Hendrick Bone Marrow 5k this past Sunday but the bug I have had since last Tuesday got worse and had a full sore throat Sat evening (so I slept late and ran 13.5 mi).  I now have a full-blown cold but feel lucky as it seems to be abating, and whatever I have/had is mild compared to others who have had worse symptoms that have gone on much longer.  Is there any 5k the following weekend (10/9-10) that anyone is familiar with that is a relatively flat course?

Big rain event today and tomorrow...what hardy souls will be out slogging in the downpour (expected Wed lunch thru Fri morning).

Rob

old-runner

Lynwood... Are you planning on doing the full marathon at Thunder Road this year? I'm thinking about maybe doing the half again, or maybe even the 5k depending on how much I hate running after NYC.

Rob... I skipped the Hendrick race too. I did it last year and it was pretty good and they were supposed to have made some improvements in it this year so it was kind of disappointing to miss it.

Another race to consider on 10/09 is the Hopebuilders 5k. It's a popular race and had about 650 finishers last year...

http://www.hopebuilders5k.org/

For me, I'm doing the HOP 10k in Morganton this coming weekend (10/02) and if I can make it on 10/09 I'm going up to run the Bethel Half Marathon near Waynesville.

theyapper

On the road again...

Big rain event today and tomorrow...what hardy souls will be out slogging in the downpour (expected Wed lunch thru Fri morning).

I slogged the last mile and a half of my 5.5 mile run through rain this morning.  Felt good - a nice, steady drizzle.

Paul

under a rock

I'll be out slogging in the downpour because I just can't help myself! Any excuse to play in puddles and get muddy during a run I can't resisit. And after a summer of being soaked from humidity it's nice to be soaked with cool rain instead.

I promise not to do any falling again, for now.

Hat trick!

I'll be out at lunch today.  I hope it'll still be raining -- it's been a while since I've run in the rain.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

The McAlpine race on the 9th should have one decent hill in the middle if they run the typical cross country course. Still debating about that one. I plan on running 8 or 9 tonight. I hope it's not at a downpour by 6:30.

Richard, I'm sticking with half's for now. I'm slowly moving my avg mileage up to 40 miles per week before considering a full. Plus I really want to drop my time considerably on that course. I really have no clue what I can run though.

Ok, I wimped out of the rain and ran 4. 

I went out at 5:30p today & it was fine till mile 5...amazing how soaked one can get over the final 2.6 miles (despite trying to run on the side of the street w/the tree cover).

Richard/Lynwood, thanx, I'll look into those races

Rob