Charlotte, NC area runners

Happy Thanksgiving! (Read 106 times)

under a rock

Just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving to everyone before I head off to Georgia for two days. Hope everyone gets a chance to consume lots of yummy calories and then has some great running to burn them off!

In my running life I am thankful for many things this year. Here's my list:

1. being able to run
    2. running my first half marathon
    3. running my first marathon
    4. placing really well in shorter distance races
    5. having awesome trails to run out here in Gastonia and even farther out in west NC
    6. finding a PT that is working wonders on getting things loosened up and strengthened so I can get back to my normal routine asap.
    7. a DH that is understanding of my obsession with running
    8. last but not least, I'm thankful for all my running partners and my close knit community of runners here on RA
    old-runner

Happy Thanksgiving Ashley, and everybody else too.

Hope some of you ran a turkey trot somewhere this morning. I heard there were problems with the Lake Norman Turkey Trot races. I ran at Southpark. I was a little disappointed to run about 2 minutes slower than last year (35:46 in the 8k) but that was 6th of 94 in my age group and 251 of 4300 finishers so maybe not too bad. At least that's the best rationalization I could come up with.

Thanks Ashley, and Richard. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I ran zero and ate a lot.  I have a lot of catching up to do the rest of this week. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

I ran 5 this morning and ate plenty.  Ready for bed.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Happy Turkey Day Ashley (nice toast!).

I ran 8 miles in freezing rainy weather today in northern NJ (36 degrees and rain...terrible combo). I'm thankful I can run again so soon.  My foot was almost completely purple on Sunday and I was limping around.  Now "it only feels like" someone has hit the side of my foot with a hammer (its tender, hurts, but I can run as the pain goes away after about 10 min during a run and most importantly, when I'm done, no intense or debilitating pain).

Richard, given the numbers in the race, was your time more of a function of being crowded out where you had to expend a lot of effort running around people (can't imagine a field of that size for a shorter race especially where the streets get a little narrow - almost impossible to run tangents)?

Rob

old-runner

Happy Turkey Day Ashley (nice toast!).

I ran 8 miles in freezing rainy weather today in northern NJ (36 degrees and rain...terrible combo). I'm thankful I can run again so soon.  My foot was almost completely purple on Sunday and I was limping around.  Now "it only feels like" someone has hit the side of my foot with a hammer (its tender, hurts, but I can run as the pain goes away after about 10 min during a run and most importantly, when I'm done, no intense or debilitating pain).

Richard, given the numbers in the race, was your time more of a function of being crowded out where you had to expend a lot of effort running around people (can't imagine a field of that size for a shorter race especially where the streets get a little narrow - almost impossible to run tangents)?

Rob... that's pretty amazing that you're already back to running 8 miles! That's good to hear... I thought you might be out for months. Northern NJ? That's where I'm from originally... Paterson, if you know where that is. We came to NC when I was 12 so it's been a while.

Looking back at the race I think part of it was the start. I couldn't nudge my way up to the front and did have to do a lot of bobbing and weaving at the beginning. My first mile was around 30 seconds slower than normal. I took three walk breaks for about 20 seconds in miles 3, 4, and 5, and it was apparent when I looked at my mile splits on the Garmin. Not sure if that was more being in bad shape or not having as much killer instinct as last year. It was crowded throughout and hard to run tangents but my GPS distance was just right so that probably wasn't too much of a factor.