Last week:

RUNNER

DATE

EVENT

DIST

GOAL

RESULT

CliveF 16MAR2013 Leprechaun Loop 8km Davidson NC 32:15 33:20, 7OA, 2AG
    old-runner 16MAR2013 Germantown HM 13.1mi Memphis TN <1:40  1:34:58, 53OA, 1AG
    alholley 16MAR2013 Tobacco Road 13.1mi Cary NC na 2:07:51

This week:

RUNNER

DATE

EVENT

DIST

GOAL

RESULT

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Cliff, what the heck happened to Clive in his 8k on Sat? Read the log. Do you need to up your FloMax dosage as I want to be sure I read it correctly that it was a 1+ min bathroom break during the middle of a race?? And upping the dosage will help so that you won't have that "feeling like you have to go" at the beginning of the race. Also, there are several retail businesses near the start of the race where you could have used the facilities (Davidson is not like Manhattan where they bar non-customers fr the use of facilities --its a lot more civil there). A higher dosage would have gotten you a sub 33 even with a stop (as you would have gone quicker). And did I read where you also walked thru at least one water stop -- was it the heat (relatively, 79 on Sat given that its been averaging in the low 50's in March would be a shock to the system)?

Rob

old-runner

On the way to Memphis for Sunday's half marathon we stayed overnight near Nashville and the weather was so nice I decided to try to find a race. I found one nearby (the All for One 5k) and wasn't sure if was big or small but figured it didn't really matter since I mostly just wanted to get out in the nice weather and run.

There were probably about 50 runners but nobody fast so I was able to cherry pick it and finished first overall! I actually took a wrong turn and ran about a quarter of a mile out of the way in the first mile when I was leading and got some bum advice on which way to go. I turned around and went back and passed probably 30 or 40 runners to get back ahead. I didn't run particularly fast but with all those slow people I felt like I was flying! Oh well... back to reality.

The Germantown Half Marathon was fun. It was nice to crack 1:35 (never thought I'd do that again). It was the RRCA State Championship half marathon for Tennessee and I got an award as the Tennessee state champion. My friend Bobbi (Roberta Villneff) has just been running two years but is amazing at 60. She won the Grand Masters (ages 50+) by 5 minutes and won 300 bucks!

Here's the 5k...

http://www.active.com/running/gallatin-tn/all-for-one-5k-fun-run-walk-2013

Here's a video of the half marathon that I did with my video sunglasses...

http://youtu.be/DZaVzN4DiPk

Also, there are several retail businesses near the start of the race where you could have used the facilities (Davidson is not like Manhattan where they bar non-customers fr the use of facilities --its a lot more civil there).... And did I read where you also walked thru at least one water stop -- was it the heat (relatively, 79 on Sat given that its been averaging in the low 50's in March would be a shock to the system)?

Yeah, but I did all my warm-up far away from the madding crowd on Main Street -- it was a zoo along there.  Didn't really have to go until about five minutes before the stated gun time, but we were delayed slightly.  The dry throat was caused by the wind, I think; I certainly wasn't dehydrated.  Had a coughing fit from a glob of dry spit, and with big hills coming up, I decided to waste a few seconds getting things wet.

Looking forward to the Ukrop's Monument Avenue 10k next month!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Congrats on the races to all who ran. Richard, I enjoyed your video.
            old-runner

Congrats on the races to all who ran. Richard, I enjoyed your video.

Thanks for watching the video Lynwood! It's a real time waster but I like doing it, and it does help me remember the races better.

TWHgal

Wannabe runner

Anyone here familiar with the trail race "Sticks-n-Bones" that's coming up this Saturday?  I'm interested in the 10k race and was wondering what the trail is like.  I saw the course map but not an elevation chart.  Thanks!

Cindy