Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 12/27/2010 and Goal recap thread (Read 204 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Alright, so this is it.  The last week to make good on any goals you set for 2010.  How about it?  Did you meet (or exceed) the goals you had?  I'll go first...

My 2010 goals were:
    Total miles 1,500
    5 km 24:59
    10 km 51:59
    Half Marathon 1:59:59
    Marathon

4:29:29

Looks like I'll meet the mileage, the 5k and the marathon goals. I didn't race a 10k or a HM, so they'll be goals that go forward to 2011 (although at a different goal time more than likely).

Anyone else care to share?  While you think about it, here's the recap from last week.  Nice work, Docster!

NameDistance ▼Time
    Docster 64.3 Mi 9:18:11
    CliveFenster 44.5 Mi 6:28:44
    ChakaKahn 42.2 Mi 5:14:38
    runslikeafraggle 30 Mi 5:06:07
    old-runner 29.1 Mi 4:26:21
    Happyfeet 25 Mi 3:53:00
    theyapper66  14.7 Mi 2:22:14
    cpaterun 11 Mi 1:35:38
    alholley 8.5 Mi 1:20:18
    rossruns 7.8 Mi 1:12:36
    asdg123 3.6 Mi 34:31

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

under a rock

I met my three goals: run a half marathon, run a full marathon, and run 1000 miles for the year.

For  2011 I don't have a lot of set speed goals. Since I run trails it's way too hard to compare PR's.

• I do want to concentrate on the half marathon distance for the winter/spring portion of the year. I would like to beat my time from this year at the Xterra half marathon in Feb down in GA.
      • I want to run the Medoc marathon again and my goal is to run it with no IT band issues and hopefully knock a good chunk off my time.
      • I'll probably run one road 5k- run for the money in april just to try to improve on this year's time. I'm not sure the exact time but it was in the low 25:00 range.
      • I'd like to run between 1,200-1,500 miles in 2011.
      old-runner

I didn't really have any particular goals for the year so I guess I was successful. As they say, "Aim at nothing and you'll hit it every time!"

I'm currently at 1,846 miles for the year and I figured out earlier today that I ran 43 races in 2010... 1 marathon, 8 half marathons, 6 10k's, 27 5k's, and 1 8k.

The only PR I had this year was a 1:33:09 half marathon at Little Rock. 

No big goals for next year... just want to keep running and hopefully outrun some of the other geezers!

Ya'll did some good running this year, that's for sure. 

I set speed goals for 2010:

1 mile - sub 6

5K - sub 23:00

half marathon - 1:45

After my first 1 mile race in Mooresville, I realized I just wasn't capable of running sub 6 on that course.  Probably a 6:20 on a track if I was lucky. So....I changed it!  Sub 6:30  The Mooresville 1 mile course has a nice hill in it so that's fair, right?  I hit 6:29 on my watch on the third try and 6:31 gun time,  Close enough for me especially considering I wasn't doing any fast runs, or mile training.  I didn't see much point in having a goal so far off, it was unobtainable.  Sub 6:15 for my 2011 goal. 

My 5K goal was hit at the Santa Scramble. Thank you Richard for telling me about that nice little course. Gravity fed, but still a PR.  This year I want to run that on a hilly, Charlotte Course. New PR is going to be 21:XX for 2011 though.

The half marathon goal was not hit at Thunder Road and was my only half of the year.  I'm trying again at Ocean Isle, though it is in 2011.  I'll give myself honorable mention or something if I hit it.  They have one bridge that is steep and you have to cross it twice, but otherwise it is flat.  New goal for 2011 is sub 1:40. Ok honestly, I want to find a way to run sub 1:38 somewhere, somehow.  My cousin's husband showed up for Thunder Road doing CrossFit almost exclusively and hates to run and still ran 1:38 +.  He says he's done with running unless it's called for on a crossfit workout unless I can beat his time.  That is now my focus.

2010 was a fun year of running, and I'm finally healthy. 

I have no idea if these new goals have any correllation with each other.

I failed on the 2 goals I had for the year, one by a huge margin.  Barring injury I will get both of these in 2011. 

Run 2000 miles - a couple of "off" months due to life has me running around 1800 miles for the year, otherwise I was on pace, so not too unhappy about it.

Run a half marathon under 1:40 - I had no real reason to pick such a lofty goal, except that 1:40 is a nice round number of 100 minutes.  That would have been an improvement of 11+ minutes over my time from 2009. Maybe I could get there in 2011, if I don't focus on the marathon. I believe I was in shape to run a 1:45-1:46 at Thunder road if I was not so beat up from my Marathon.

I did set new PR's in the 5K (1:26), 10K (1:50), 15K (was a soft PR from a couple of year ago) and the HM (26 sec), and ran my first marathon, so the year was not a total wash.

My current goal is to beat 4 hours  in the marathon and get under 22:00 for the 5K

I will run a few more mid week medium long runs this year, and another "workout" in addition to a bi weekly 2 hour + long run.  Hope to run at least 7 hours per week and see where that gets me.  

I didn't really have any firm goals for 2010.  A loose recap:

1. Find a good coach -- this took a few tries, but I think I've finally nailed it.
              2. Break 1:40 in the HM -- ran 1:49 in DEC 2009, so I thought this one would be tough.  Posted a 1:39 in APR 2010.
              3. BQ -- set this goal midway through 2010.  Had the fitness and the tactical execution at TCM, but an "Any Given Sunday" late-race cramp did me in.
              4. I posted PR's at every distance ... which was pretty easy, considering I started running seriously again in SEP 2009 after a quarter-century break.  I'm still climbing the steep part of the fitness curve.

The tentative goals for 2011:

1. 2000mi -- this will be more a function of putting in good, steady training and avoiding injury.
              2. 5k @ sub-19 -- this one will take some work, a friendly course, and a little luck.  Current PR = 20:16.
              3. 10k @ sub-41 -- another time that'll take work, luck, and a lack of hills.  Current PR = 43:54.
              4. 10mi @ sub-69 -- possibly a soft goal, but so what?  Current PR = 72:46 (split in HM).
              5. HM @ sub-1:30 -- lofty, I think, but reachable if things go well.  Current PR is a soft 1:37.
              6. Marathon @ sub-3:20 -- yes, you read that correctly.  Going big here.  Current PR = a soft 3:37:46 that could easily have been a 3:28.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

I love the aggressive goal setting for 2011!  I'm still kicking around my ideas for my running next year.  Will post soon.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

I'll go out later for a run, but here are the goals I'm kicking around for 2011...

2011 running goals:

1. Run 2,000 miles (ran 1,520 in 2010)

2. Sub 22:00 5k (PB is 24:00)

3. Sub 50:00 10k (PB is 54:22)

4. Sub 1:55:00 HM (PB is 2:03:29)

5. Sub 4:00:00 Marathon (PB is 4:23:32)

6. Run a 50 day streak (Not the most important, but if we get a treadmill I can throw in a mile run on current off days, so why not?)

Goals are funny things.  Not really sure what's realistic, so I could just say the typical blanket statement about wanting to PR at every distance I race.  I did that in 2010.

Paul

Are we there yet?

PR at every distance I race.  

+1

theyapper

On the road again...

Quiet day here.

A bit over 6 today.  One more run tomorrow and then I'm taking the rest of the year off.

Paul

I've been thinking about how to go from the Thunder Road half to another half January 8th.  I'm not use to running races that close together so this should be interesting.  I took the week after TR real easy.  I ran about 18 miles.  The week of the 20th through the 25th, I ran one run hard and all the others easy, plus I've also started adding cross training. 30 miles for the week. This week I ran my Monday run really hard. Close to a training PR.  It's 4.5 miles of Dilworth hills and I went into a full, finish line sprint for the last .2.  I like sprinting much more than longer distance runs, unless I'm on a trail.  I ran my Wednesday Run of 8 miles several minutes faster than normal too. My legs didn't really like two hard runs two days apart.  I was thinking of maybe a 10 miler this weekend then ease into the race next weekend. \

MTA: Paul, you deserve the rest of the year off!

old-runner

Lynwood... Which race are you thinking about running on January 8th? Is it the Resolution Run half marathon down in Travelers Rest SC or something else?

http://www.ymcagreenville.org/north_greenville.php

I'm planning on running that one as long as the weather's not miserable. They allow race-day registration and it's cheap so I'll decide for sure the night before the race.

That's the only half marathon I've found but if you've got a different one you're looking at let me know and I might switch. I'm just wanting to fit in a half marathon every month when I can. I was thinking about the Charleston Half on the following week but that would be way more expensive.

You should be recovered plenty from Thunder Road... you'll do fine!

theyapper

On the road again...

You'll do great, Lynwood.  Have fun!

Closed out the year with 4 miles.  Finished with 1,521 miles.  I'm happy about the total and also that I'm carrying my streak of 100+/mile months into the new year.

Paul

Richard, I'm running the Ocean Isle Beach Run for Food half on January 8th.  It's very low key, with 168 runners last year in the half, with room for 400.  You would be near the top for this this one.  Me... not so lucky.  Last year my age group winners ran 1:28 to 1:32.  My running group has maybe 10 of us running this, and my father lives at OI, so I decided to join in.  He couldn't make it for Christmas.

The race is almost entirely flat except for crossing the bridge twice.  Probably not the most scenic, though crossing the bridge gives some great views.

http://www.active.com/running/ocean-isle-beach-nc/7th-annual-ocean-isle-bridge-nc-run-for-food-2011#Summary

It says January 5th is the last registration date, so I don't know if same day registration is allowed on site.

Just over a 100 ran the 5k. 

MTA:  With a $35 cost I would imagine there will be no medals, just the tee shirt and a recorded time.  No frills. That's fine with me.  Looks like a good cause.

old-runner

I completely overlooked that Ocean Isle race... looks like fun! I'm in money save mode so I'll stick around here and drive to the Travelers Rest race on Saturday morning and then drive back. I've got 3 races in February and March I have to travel to (Myrtle Beach, Jacksonville, and Memphis) and Linda thinks I waste too much money!  It's true, of course, but she shouldn't think it!

I did a 10-miler again this morning with the Gaston County YMCA Running Club. It was great and we had about 15 runners, but no Shashi!