Charlotte, NC area runners

Racefest in Charlotte -- 04/10/10 (Read 196 times)

old-runner

Hey Folks... Looks like everybody's just about given up on this group but I'm still checking to see if there are messages.

So Racefest is one of Charlotte's biggest races of the year and is this weekend (April 10, 2010). Any of you running it this year? If so, what are you doing... the 10k or the Half Marathon?

I'm planning on running the half marathon and my wife is running the 10k. It's looking like nice weather for running. 

Anybody else in?

under a rock

I'm not going to be there. But, I will be at the Run For the Money in Gastonia. Will I see  you there?
      old-runner

Hey Ashley... I'm not running it this year, but glad to hear you're doing a road race!

I've got a beef with the fact that they have a race with over 700 people and do 10-year age groups and only give 1st and 2nd place within those groups. In last year's race I was the fastest finisher over 55 years old but finished 9th in the 50-59 age group (8 guys from 50-54 were ahead of me).

I don't mind losing but I'd like to lose to people in my own age group (55-59) if you know what I mean.

Hope that doesn't sound too petty, but really the only way for me to show my displeasure is by not running the race. There are some other good races that weekend so I'll be running somewhere.

under a rock

I understand! I don't like getting lumped in with the under 35 ladies, they kick my ass. I didn't realize they did placing so poorly. I decided to do this just because a few friends are and a 5 minute drive to a race will be nice for a change. I'm also curious to see how my road times have improved since last year. I really wanted to do the Belmont Classic 5k again but it is on the same day as a trail 15k that I've had on my calendar since last year.

Good luck to you this weekend!

Are we there yet?

I am training for Boston but I will be Volunteering (for the free shirt) @ the Old Providence Rd & Old Providence Ln intersection.. Good Luck runners!!!!!!!
            old-runner

Ashley... Thanks for the reminder about the Belmont Classic 5k. That's a good race and I just added it to my schedule although I'm not positive I'll make it either. I'm running the Cotton Row 10k down in Huntsville, Alabama, two days after that (on Memorial Day) and I don't know if we'll hang around here on Saturday or maybe head down that way for a couple days. Hey, the Belmont Classic is where I first met you and Debbie Fore last year! Has that only been one year? I guess it's true what the say: "Life is short -- running makes it seem longer!"

Mike... Good luck at Boston... that's exciting! I'm hoping to BQ in the next year or so. At my age it's a lot easier to do so I think I've got a chance. I'm in the NYC Marathon for this year but everybody says it's hard to qualify for Boston there so I might have to wait for an easier qualifying course after that. If I can run Boston just one time I might give up on marathons and stick with shorter races no longer than a half. At least that's the way I'm currently thinking. Hope you do well and go sub-3 like you did in Baton Rouge!

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey guys.  Wow, it's been a long time since I posted here.  Not good since I kicked this group off.  Sorry!

I'll be at RaceFest with a friend tomorrow.  We're both running the half.  I'm really hoping to get under 2 hours.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Hey Paul... good to see you on here! You need to check in more often and let's get a little steam going in this forum.

I'll be looking for you at the race tomorrow. Haven't seen you since China Grove last year... you doing that again this year? Great race!

I remember you were big on the heart rate training last year... are you still doing it? I've been doing it for the past few months and it's helped a lot.

Hello everybody.  Glad to see some life also. 

I'm not running RaceFest this year.  I learned my lesson last year trying to run it on 12 miles a week.  Not fun.  I'm not running anymore races until I think I can really race the distance.  Atleast to my level of ability.  And that will take a lot of miles and I'm working on that.  I get my butt kicked every week at my group runs, so I'm kind of use to it.  Guys, girls, all ages.  I ran a 8 mile run on Wednesday and out of 14 runners, I think I was dead last! I just run my training pace.  I will be ready to race later this year though.

Modified to add:

I did witness a great race last weekend at the Harris Y outdoor track.  My oldest daughter (12) challenged my youngest daughter (9) to a mile race.  I had nothing to do with this by the way.  My 9 year old has never run a mile without stopping, which my 12 year old knew.  She didn't think her younger sister would run the whole mile, and honestly, I didn't either.  She runs like a lot of youngsters, sprinting ahead, then stopping etc.  They started the race and the oldest fell in behind her with a smile and told me she would just stay in close and eventually watch her fold, then sprint past for the big kick at the finish.  Kind of like Landy and Bannister back in the 50's I think.  Anyway, we covered the first half mile easily, and I'm noticing the little one never slowed down but wasn't sprinting.  She was in complete control of her pace.  We hit the last .25 and I'm watching my 12 year old's face, and I see some concern there!  When we hit the back stretch I told her she better close the gap or the race is over!  She took off in a sprint and they raced the final .1 zigzagging around the turn, then turned right by the tree, and tied at the finish line.  9:57!  They were both mad as heck they didn't "win", and I was very happy nobody lost... except me again. 

Seeing they are both Girl Scout's, we're running the Thin Mint 5k at Carowinds on May 22nd, and they get a badge for training, so I'm racing after all.  I can't lose this one no matter what.

L

Lynwood, that's an awesome race report of your daughter's race. The younger one seems to have some talent to run non stop on her first mile attempt and almost beat her sister.

Mike, I wish I read this last week, would have said hi, and good luck at Boston.

My race itself was pretty routine although I did PR  by about 15 seconds (12 minutes better than last year), would probably have done better had I not walked all over Disney World last week, and drove 12 hours yesterday.

old-runner

Lynwood... hope we'll see you back out there before too long. That's good that you've got your daughters interested in running.

I saw Paul (theyappear66) in the crowd just before the race and we talked for a few minutes. First time I'd seen him since China Grove last year. I'd forgotten that he's from Albemarle (I always confuse that place with Salisbury and Asheboro for some reason). I did my first race in Albemarle last week (the April Fools 5k) and what a great running community they have there.

Shashi... Glad to hear you got a little bit of a PR... that's a tough course! I'm still hoping we can get together and run again. I ran with Brian Trotter and Aregai Girmay at different times last week and your name came up both times. 

The race was fun... No PR for me but I won my age group with a time of 1:35:18. 

Anybody got any other races coming up?

theyapper

On the road again...

Racefest wasn't a great race for me - high HR from the beginning and I couldn't hold the pace past mile 10.  Very hilly course, but that monster in the 8th mile really did me in.  Time to add more hills to the training plan.

Congrats on the PR, Sashi, and on the age group win, Richard.  It was good seeing you before the race.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

I know what you mean about that big hill in the 8th mile. I counted 7 people that passed me on the way up. There was another big hill a little later (not quite as big) and another 4 people passed me there. I definitely need more work on the hills myself... most of my hill training ends up being in races, which is probably not a great way to do it.

Congratulations to all of you!  Good running.

Well, Richard, my holdout on races didn't last long.  Some people at work asked me to run the Twighlight 5K and I hated missing that one last year.  It looks fun.   Are you running it this year?  Anybody else?

old-runner

Yay! The Twilight 5k is one of my favorites and I guess it's the only nighttime race in downtown Charlotte all year. I ran it last year four days after the NJ Marathon and was a little sore. I'll be looking for you this year.

Here's a link to some info on the race if anybody else is interested...

http://www.rightmovesforyouth.org/twilight.html