Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 4/20 (Read 257 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Hey guys. Sounds like the spring racing season is really going well for a lot of you. I'm still finishing up my 3 months of LHR training and so no real races for me yet. I can't wait to give my aerobic base a whirl soon, though! This week will be a bit of a cutback for me. Probably between 20-25 miles after 3 straight weeks in the 30s. Already gotten in 2 great runs yesterday and today.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

I'm tapering down for the NJ Marathon on May 3rd. Kinda nice not having to do all that running! Looking forward to the CPCC Skyline Run this weekend. It's the 2nd race in the Charlotte Grand Prix. Anybody else running it? It's supposed to be a flat and fast 5k. Where's Docster? I was hoping he was going to let us know how the Boston Marathon was. I didn't see it listed on his log. Hope something didn't mess him up and cause him to miss the big race.
      theyapper

On the road again...

Where's Docster? I was hoping he was going to let us know how the Boston Marathon was. I didn't see it listed on his log. Hope something didn't mess him up and cause him to miss the big race.
        I haven't seen a report in the Race Report thread here. I haven't checked the main forums yet.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Just checking in. Today's a rest day for me (well, from running - I'm slammed with work) but I ran a test route yesterday to see how the LHR training is progressing and found that I've dropped around 45 seconds from the pace in about 4 weeks. Hope the next 4 weeks go the same. Big grin

Paul

Nice Paul. I am interested to hear your opinion of how well it works when you race. I'm taking it real easy this week after the half. My issues started after the Corporate Cup when I ran too hard. Recovery week for me. I feel ok and I've run twice, but everytime I hit the two mile point my legs get fatigued. Richard, I'm going to lay off the speed runs for another week or two so I won't make the 5K. You looking for ANOTHER PR? Smile
            old-runner

Richard... You looking for ANOTHER PR? Smile
              I think I might have tapped out the PR's for a while but another one would be nice. A month ago my 5k PR was 24:05, which I had gotten in December. Then I got a PR in the next three 5k races (the other week I ran a 10k): 03/28/09 -- 23:28 04/11/09 -- 22:55 04/18/09 -- 22:15 Another one's unlikely, but my legs feel good since I've been tapering for the New Jersey Marathon next week and it's a Grand Prix race so I'll be chugging along to see what happens. Maybe I'll chase Jerry Sofley again this week. That's what kept me going last week. Watching him go through the water stop was pure poetry. I saw him hold his hand out for water and thought I'd pass him, then in one quick motion he took the water and poured it over his head and didn't miss a beat. That's something I've got to work on with the warm weather coming up.
              theyapper

On the road again...

Nice Paul. I am interested to hear your opinion of how well it works when you race.
                Me, too. I think that will be the ultimate test for me. Can I sustain faster paces for longer distances? That's why I started LHR training, because for my first HM last year (Thunder Road) I finished with an average pace of 9:26, but really struggled the last 4 miles and my times for those miles were quite a drop off. Here were my miles times: Mile 1 9:21 Mile 2 9:03 Mile 3 8:42 Mile 4 8:40 Mile 5 9:02 Mile 6 8:36 Mile 7 8:56 Mile 8 9:03 Mile 9 8:57 Mile 10 9:38 Mile 11 10:05 Mile 12 10:56 Mile 13 11:01 My hope is that LHR training combined with lots and lots of easy miles will allow me to sustain a 8:45-9:00 m/m pace for the next HM I run (not sure when that'll be).

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Finished up my week with runs of 4 and 9 Friday and Saturday. Hope everyone has a great week-end!

Paul

Nice week Paul. You guys amaze me with the mileage. I think the most I've ever run is 27 though I'm looking to move up to yall's level as I can though. I just got new massage therapist to try out, recommended by my super-fast buddy, Mark Carbone, at Charlotte Running Company. Mark is an Iron Man finisher and has a gazillion Boston Marathon's to his credit, so I think he should know what he's talking about. He just ran the Racefest in 1:17. He says she's great and can check for muscle imbalances etc. I'll let ya'll know what I think of her ability, if anybody is interested. She comes highly recommended, and is also a runner. I finished the week today with a short 2 miles on the .1 mile track at Beverly Woods School (while my daughter and her friend played on the playground), then 3 more on a treadmill again at the Harris Y. Gotta get 'em in while I can. I'll start cranking up the mileage now though. I signed up for the NY Marathon and don't want to hit June on low mileage. June is when you find out who got in via the lottery. I was counting on NOT getting in, but just in case....