Charlotte, NC area runners

Do We Have Critical Mass Yet For a Group Run/Meet-up? (Read 213 times)

I didn't want to keep threadjacking the New Members thread, so I thought I'd break this topic out into a new thread.

I notice several folks live/run out in Gastonia and have seen Martha Rivers Park mentioned a few times.  That's about a 40-minute drive for me, but I could make the journey for a SUN morning long run ...   Sound do-able?

Alternatively/additionally, is there anyone on here who lives in the Lake Norman area (Huntersville-Birkdale-Cornelius-Davidson)?

FWIW, I'm doing 12-20 miles (usually more like 15-17 miles) at about 8:45-9:30/mi pace.  Happy to slow it down; not happy to speed it up.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

9:30 sounds about the pace either Richard or I want to do our long runs at.  Richard can run faster, but not me.  We were planning a long run starting near our homes heading to Martha Rivers Park this Sunday at 6:30 AM.Let us know if you can make it.  Its about 4.5- 5miles (depends on the road you take)to the park each way and then the park itself is a mile loop.

If you can make it I can send you the directions to where we plan to meet (basically exit 22 on I85). 

Clive, I'm willing to drive over sometime also, though I'm out of town this weekend. Weekends are tougher for me though.  9:30 pace sounds good to me too since I'm trying to build miles.   

I live in S Charlotte and run in Dilworth a good bit.  I work in the Unversity area so I could drive to any area by 7 pm for a run. 

old-runner

Clive... That'll be great if you can make it over to run with us in Gastonia. I've been going over to Charlotte some on Sunday mornings and running at McAlpine Creek Park with some of the Charlotte Track & Tri people. It's good but I'm having to work weekends and have a hard time doing all of that driving.

Shashi... So we're starting at 6:30 tomorrow morning?? That's better for me although I thought you said 7:30 last week when we talked at the race. Let's make it 6:30 though so we can beat the heat a little. Mike Wilson is going to run with us too. I know him through Brian Trotter. He's fast in races but doesn't mind slowing it down some for the long runs and he said he'd be happy at a 9:30 pace. I told Mike to meet us at 7:40 at Ashbrook so we'd have time to run up there, but maybe we should just all meet in the parking lot at Ashbrook (on the right side near the track) at 6:30, so we can either run from home or drive up there but we could all make it there at 6:30... let me know if that works.

Clive... If you can make it tomorrow morning just be at Ashbrook at 6:30 a.m. (unless Shashi vetoes the idea)!

Of course, everybody else is welcome as well whether you post here or not... just show up and we'd love to have you! If there are enough of us we could maybe branch out with some of us going a little faster or slower.

So it's tomorrow (Sunday, 6/27) at 0630 in the parking lot nearest the track at Ashbrook High School?

I'll do my best to be there on time.   Shashi, I'll send an email through your profile with my contact information.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Sounds like you guys have a plan.  My longer runs are on Saturdays, and I'm a good bit slower than the 9:30 pace (about 10:20-10:40 is where my long runs end up).  I'll have fun reading here how it goes, though.  Long runs are so much better with others along.

Have fun tomorrow!

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Sounds like you guys have a plan.  My longer runs are on Saturdays, and I'm a good bit slower than the 9:30 pace (about 10:20-10:40 is where my long runs end up).  I'll have fun reading here how it goes, though.  Long runs are so much better with others along.

Have fun tomorrow!

Paul... I know that would be way too far for you to drive anyway. I was hoping you'd run the race in Oakboro this morning. Linda and I ran it. I posted a note on your FB wall the other day but I had a feeling you might have not seen it since you didn't respond. The Oakboro race was fun but a little hot. Vac & Dash did the timing, which is always good. I'm planning on running the Tour de Elvis in Albemarle on Friday night, August 13th. Hope you'll plan on that one. Sounds like fun. 

Richard,

Not sure if you'll check this tonight, but I'll meet you guys at Ashbrook at 6:30 ish tomorrow morning.

Had a good run with the faster Richard and Clive.   Running with someone does make the long run a whole lot easier.  Next time I won't back out after 11 miles and try to do the full long run with you guys.

Paul, if the pace itself is an issue, I can slow down to your comfort zone, 9:30 is a bit on the fast side for me right now as I have no races in my near future and I should be working on increasing my weekly mileage and probably need to slow down a bit to run more.

Hopefully Lynwood, runnergirl and others can join and make this a real group run rather than just 2 or 3 of us.

old-runner

I enjoyed running with you and Clive, and let's not leave out that runnergirl met up with us at Martha Rivers Park and ran 2 miles with us while pushing the stroller. Shashi, we didn't run that far without you... I think it was a little less than 2 miles. I got into my own neighborhood and got turned around and ended up back on Redbud Road too quickly so we stopped when we got back to Ashbrook. We were both just trying to get over 40 miles for the week so it worked out.

Hope we can make it a weekly thing. I'm going to plan on next Sunday at 6:30. Gotta run anyway whether it's by myself or with other people, but I definitely prefer other people. I'm bad about quitting early if I'm by myself.

Good times!  Nice to meet the three of you.

I checked plans for this weekend, and we are NOT going out of town.  SUN is the Fourth, though, so I understand if folks can't make a long run that morning.  My schedule says 17 miles; I can get there early and put some miles in before we all meet (probably better for me, since I'd need the companionship more in the later miles!) or just tack on after we're done with whatever we decide on.  Either way, I should be a GO for this Sunday.

-- Dick LeBeau

under a rock

I enjoyed getting to run and chat with you guys yesterday. I did a little over 2.5 miles after you guys headed away. I was happy to be done with pushing the stroller. Ugh.

I probably won't get to run with you guys again on Sunday since that's when I do my long trail runs. This week my schedule got mixed up due to DH being out of town. If I get another mixed up week I'll see if I can meet up with you guys.

old-runner

runslikeagirl.... oops! We incorrectly called you runnergirl up above. I think Shashi started it so you can blame him. Of course we'd love to have you come along anytime you get the chance.

Clive... Let me know what time you'll be there and I'll meet you and run the whole 17 with you. I'm up every day at 4 a.m. and I'll be fine with whatever time you want to make it, or we can stick with 6:30 then tack it on at the end, maybe run back to Ashbrook with Shashi then head back down to the greenway or something. We might have one or two more runners coming along this week.

Sorry Ashley I must be  getting old or something, I am now a masters runner after all.

I'll be good for 14-15 miles this weekend, just don't want to push any longer as I have no marathon plans until Nov/Dec, and If I run any longer I'll be dragging all day long.

By coincidence, my training plan has me doubling that day!  It says:

AM -- 17 miles

PM -- dragging all day long

-- Dick LeBeau