old-runner 15.7 mi
    SForrester 11.5 mi
    alholley 7.3 mi
    laurabs24 3.0 mi

Last week:

Runner Date Event Dist. Location Goal Result

This week:

Runner Date Event Dist. Location Goal Result

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Was anyone in (the very lengthy) line tonite outside Charlotte Running Company in Dilworth picking up your packet for The Electric Run 5k (scheduled for this Friday nite at the Charlotte Motor Speedway)? I've never seen such a mad rush -- a line that snaked outside of Charlotte Running Company past the boxing club (Round 9) past the Sizzler or whatever that is and out to East Blvd! Traffic was backed up at least 1/2 mile on Scott. There were race organizers walking up to cars along East Blvd (in active traffic), asking if they were coming for their packets, and the car would stop and the driver and race organizer (there were several out there), rather than provide quick instructions were engaging in long (3-4 minute) conversations about packet pick-up options -- these organizers were oblivious to the chaos they were creating as traffic backed up, and the drivers stuck behind this were honking their horns and yelling out their windows to get these race organizers off the road!

Rob

Electric runs and color runs will be the death of our new found love of running, fun as they may be.  A friend of mine keeps trying to get me into the color run every year with a free race entry, if I am getting up on a Saturday morning I want to run for real.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I've never heard of an electric run, but any of these gimmicky runs like color runs and mud runs make me want to cry. I suppose the good side of it is that maybe some of those participants will eventually become lifelong runners, but the gimmicks ... oy.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

After I ran the organizers were still at the running store. So I asked them "what is the electric run" (as they were all wearing the shirts). It was as if I stumbled upon Rev. Jim Jones enclave in Guyana as the responses were all non-specific and along the lines of  "it's fantasic" (but said w/wide eyes). I was afraid that they were going to follow me into the bathroom at the running store!  When I went online it was a gimmick run (its run at night, they adorn the area w/various lighting and follow themes, and supply you with neon sunglasses, one of those glowing necklaces and something else. It also struck me that the long line of people at the packet pick-up did not look like runners (nobody was "lean" in the line, they all looked like Lynwood although many did not cast as big a shadow as Lynwood does).

Rob

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I am so tired of these gimmicky runs.

Pre is weeping in his grave.

". It also struck me that the long line of people at the packet pick-up did not look like runners (nobody was "lean" in the line, they all looked like Lynwood although many did not cast as big a shadow as Lynwood does).'

Rob, I haven't checked your log, but I sense you're almost 100% and ready to race.  What's it gonna be? Maybe crush the Tuesday Booty loop runners?   Smile

Lynwood, I guess I meant to say "....they all looked like Lynwood used to look like although many did not cast as big a shadow as Lynwood used to" but I must have forgotten how to edit something here (or it may been that those keys were not working on keyboard that nite)!  Tonite was my first (pseudo) interval workout run in 12 weeks (and a rough one) so nowhere near "race ready".

Rob

Wthat's this booty loop, time and location, will try to make it sometime to meet you guys. And chase that 22 min 5k goal for this year

Shashi, the start is on the Sugar Creek Greenway in front of Dressler's.  At the waterfall / bandstand area.  6:30 pm.

Wow, almost was wiped out tonite during my long run. I'm running in South Park (so lots of people run), going down Quail Hollow on the left side, past the HarrisY, and I get to street that goes into where the Hampton Apartments are (I think Section 8 housing), and this older navy blue SUV pulls way past the intersection almost into Quail Hollow (basically blocking me). I stop, I can't see the driver because of the glare on his windshield (but it was cloudy), I try to wave my arms, he lunges a little and then stops, obviously oblivious to anyone walking or running (which there are a lot of). I walk around the SUV and I still don't think he is paying attention. He must be someone cocooned either in his home and work the entire time and never spends an ounce of time outside or doing anything athletic. I want to yell some select things but Clive has advised me in the past to refrain from that. Has anyone had similar experiences? And how did you react?

Rob

Heh. Rob, I was headed for a hot date and running late.  I really wouldn't have hit you.  Just wanted to scare you a little.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Shashi, the start is on the Sugar Creek Greenway in front of Dressler's.  At the waterfall / bandstand area.  6:30 pm.

I haven't run on Sugar Creek Greenway in more than a month. All the rain has made me afraid of flooding. I've seen it where the water is at the tree line. How is it these days?

THM, I haven't made that run in awhile so I'm not sure either. The Tuesday run covers from Dresslers to the hospital, then hits the Booty Loop so it's only a short distance along the creek.