cpaterun 30 mi
    Happyfeet 28.9 mi
    jdbrown 25 mi
    Lpadg 17.1 mi
    pneriah 15.7 mi
    theyapper66 8.8 mi
    fraggle 5.5 mi

Last week's race results:

• old-runner -- 14APR2012 -- RaceFest HM (Charlotte NC) -- Goal = (A) sub-1:38; (B) sub-1:40; (C) pinch fat.  RESULT = 1:36:35.
    • Lpadg -- 14APR2012 -- RaceFest 10k (Charlotte NC) -- Goal = (A) sub-46; (B) 46:nn; (C) 47+ and grumbling.  RESULT = 47:31.

Upcoming races:

• ChakaKahn -- 16APR2012 -- Boston Marathon (Boston MA)  RESULT = 4:02:33 in brutal heat.
    • CliveF -- 21APR2012 -- Tar Heel Ten-Miler (Chapel Hill NC) -- Goal = sub-69.  RESULT = 1:12:20 on nasty hills in miserable humidity.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

Congrats to ChakaKahn for running the Boston Marathon... sounds like my kind of race. I could have probably run without my long sleeves and tights. 

Good luck to Clive in the Tarheel 10-miler this weekend. Wish I was doing that one but I'll be at the Run for the Money 5k in Gastonia this weekend. Goal is to get 1st place in the 60-69 age group and thereby direct $500 to the charity of my choice, which is The Brice Foundation. Second place gets $250 and third place is out of luck. Just 2 spots in 10-year age groups. For that reason I usually skip this race but now that I'm at the young end of the age group I'm giving it a shot.

Sounds like a great reason to race Richard.  I had a runner tonight say he's running that also.  I'm gonna run the Charlotte Museum Mile this Saturday, and I'm glad they got the hill out of the start.  The McMillan running calculator has me running around 6:30 to 6:35.  I hope to beat that for sure.  My oldest daugher will run this one with me. 

old-runner

Good luck Lynwood, to both you and you daughter, in the Museum Mile. I know you're a sprinter and that's your kind of race. I try to avoid anything shorter than a 5k. The only 1-miler I've ever run was when you and I did the Miles of Mooresville a couple years ago. I think 1 mile takes more out of me than a half marathon because I feel so obligated to run hard right out of the chute and keep going hard the whole way.

Oh, and a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO CLIVE FENSTER! ... New age group??

Thanks, Richard.  I'm 49, so I've got a few months of running locally with Bobby Aswell out of my AG. Cool

The mile races don't seem to take a lot out of me, but they do leave me far stiffer and more achy than 10k's and HM's.  I'm sure it's a function of how little mile-specific training I do, or even fast-fast running at all.  There's a lot of muscle strain in running near top speed, then kicking for all you're worth.  I'll leave that to the Lynwoods of the world.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

What a great, cool week.  It's been a long time since I just got up and ran - spur of the moment - for no other reason than I wanted to.  Just got back from a nice, unscheduled and unplanned 4 miler.  Felt great to not look at the watch, not check the pace, and just run what felt good.  Even better to get home and check the pace and see how it dropped throughout the run - naturally.

4 miles is small potatoes to many of us, but that was a huge run in my journey back.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

atomno2

I have been absent for some time.  Still running...some.  MB took more out of me than I thought.  I am racing this weekend.  I'm doing the Miles for Marnie 5K, looking for sub 25 but we will have to see what happens.  Getting ready to start adding the miles back in and try to get back to the 30 mpw range.  

Not that I am fast but--

Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, forty-two losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning.” — Lightning McQueen

old-runner

I managed to wipe out a few octogenarians in winning the 60-99 age group at Run for the Money yesterday (21:36). It was nice to be able to direct 500 bucks towards the charity of my choice although it would have been even nicer if they would given me the money and let me split it with the charity. I guess that ain't the way it works though.

Clive... so tell us about the Tarheel 10-miler. I've wanted to run that race... seems like a great spectacle!

And Lynwood...how did you fare in the Museum Mile (were you leading your Wave like last year)?  Did the course change help?

Rob

Rob, the race went well. I had a new mile PR of 6:29 per the timing company. 21 seconds better than last year and 2 seconds better than Miles of Mooresville. It did help some with the course change, but it still climbs for most of the first half. I was 5 seconds from third place. Probably could find that much with some practice as there is so little room for error it seems in a mile race. Having only three heats I ran with the correct group and finished 7th.