SForrester 10.2 mi
    alholley 4.3 mi

Races and whatnot!

RUNNER DATE RACE DIST LOCATION GOAL RESULT
    Last week:            
    CliveF 13OCT2012 Lungstrong 15k Cornelius NC sub-63 1:02:47, 39OA, 3AG

This week:            
     Lpadg 21OCT2012 NC Oyster Festival 5k Ocean Isle Beach NC    

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Clive,

congrats on a strong run, PR at Lungstrong. I hear that is a hilly course so that is a great effort. Did you plan to run the first mile that easy and then go hard after that (I thought only elites and Kenyans could negative split?)?

Rob

I usually go out somewhat fast, burning off nervous energy, then settle into race pace.  But I've found it's hard to slow down the right amount -- I either don't slow down at all or I overdo it, sag, and have to press to find that race pace.  So this time, I decided I'd go out easier, then pick it up slightly and lock onto target velocity.  But not +13sec/km easy!

I was still over budget at 2km, so I brought the pace down another notch.  Didn't think I was over the line, so I just raced by feel from there.  I was fairly surprised the few times I glanced down and saw "4:08" or the like (Garmin set for min/km), but I felt right and rolled with it.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Rob, are you running Big South?

-- Dick LeBeau

Rob, are you running Big South?

I decided not to. I consulted the psychics who are working that case of the missing teens in SC (fr around here) and they recommended I should skip racing this weekend (they do web readings if anyone is interested?).

I ran a very hard 4 mi time trial on Sat. And yesterday I ran a very hard workout (and have a workout scheduled for Thu) so in the name of injury prevention will skip hard running this weekend (as a fyi, one of the reasons when I posted last week that the course was a "PR in the box" was last year's course was considerably short according to various feedback). I may run the Runway 5k next Sat though since I need to run some races to get in "race shape".

Lynwood -- you ran Runway 5k last year -- did they delay the start 20 min as in prior years (because of the throngs of people who were delayed parking)?

Clive -- Lynwood pointed out tonite on our Wed nite run that the guy that you latched onto over the last 2 miles of Lungstrong (Eric G) runs our Wed nite run...and I believe he may have been there when you ran the Wed nite run about 6 weeks ago or so. He remembered you because he said "the guy with the short shorts and gaudy compression sleeves on his legs".

Rob

Last year it started right on time.  I got there an hour or more early to make sure I didn't have a problem, but I think they opened up extra lots.  I don't remember any issues.  Good race.  I would like to do it again.  You will be smelling a good bit of jet fuel and fumes along the runway, but it's worth it. 

I ran Runway in '09 and '10 but both years the start was delayed (30 min in '09 and 20 min in '10) and at the last minute which was a pain as everyone was warmed up, shivering at the start, standing, standing, and then delay. Its good that they did not delay last year.

Cliff, were you looking for a race to run this weekend btw? Are you running the Richmond marathon (reason I ask is that you training resembles that of a 5k focus as you've been running classic VO2Max/5k intervals each week for the past 2 or 3 weeks, not being critical of training of course)?

Anyone racing this weekend? Did Shashi get injured (or did the Panda get their revenge)?

Rob

Rob: no, I just remember you asking about it last week, so I wanted to make sure I caught everyone's racing for the thread.

I think the time target is about 10-15sec too slow for my 800 sessions to be VO2Max level. -- it's more like cruise intervals for a 19:45 5k guy (based on McMillan and my in-rep HR being well under my max) with slightly too-long recoveries.

Honestly, I suspect it's partly LT work and partly the coach working me up to a Modified Yasso of 10x800 @ target pace, but with a recovery of 2min instead of equal-time.  I've heard Yassos are optimistic by maybe 5-10min, so hopefully this modification corrects for that.

-- Dick LeBeau

Anyone racing this weekend? Did Shashi get injured (or did the Panda get their revenge)?

Kind of burned out. Once I decided not to run the marathon I was planning (training suffered due to sickness and travel for work), all motivation left me. Ran a bit last week and this week, but not logging them.

Happyfeet, does this mean you're not running Monkey?

Surprised

-- Dick LeBeau

Yes, this is the big RA year and I am not running it.  Also I'll still be travelling for work until Nov 17 and taking off the weekend to go run may mean domestic disharmony.