Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 1/31/2011 (Read 239 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Running totals from last week.  Another great week from Mike, and 19.7 of that total was on a brutal Idiot course.  I was disappointed with my total, but never could find the time this weekend to get in my long run.  Oh, well.  Chasing mileage isn't what this is always about.  Plenty of weeks ahead to catch up.

And the goes to...

Congrats to Cliff and Richard for 3rd place AG finishes in their races, which around these parts gets you both a blue ribbon.  Nice work, men.

NameDistance ▼Time
    ChakaKahn 63.4 mi 7:43:52
    CliveFenster 39.4 mi 5:37:42
    nanxin 36.2 mi 5:29:43
    Happyfeet 31.8 mi 5:07:00
    old-runner 30 mi 4:22:16
    theyapper66  28.1 mi 4:16:16
    runslikeafraggle 21.8 mi 3:47:25
    cpaterun 11.1 mi 1:34:28
    alholley 4.1 mi 39:24
    CarolinaBlue 1.1 mi 10:01

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Went for a recovery run.  Stopped at 3.5 miles cuz it felt too hard, even though it wasn't.  Quads still fairly trashed from the 8k Saturday.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

My race report from the 8k Saturday is over on my blog, if you're interested.

Quiet day in here.  Everyone okay?

Paul

"I'd like to thank the academy for recognizing me ... my parents for instilling in me the desire to succeed and to put in the time and effort needed to attain that success ... my wife, without whose loving support none of this would have been possible ... and my coach, whose clear guidance and ready encouragement made distant goals seem reachable.  To all of them, I say: thank you, and what have you done for me lately?"

Today was a rest day, which I took with the greatest effort -- I really wanted to go run.  But I've got some work ahead of me, and rest is part of the process.  I like to think of it as gathering myself for the coming effort.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Nice race report and congratulations.  That was a well earned PR. 

Clive, you totally deserve it!  I voted for you too.

Me.  I ran only 26 miles last week, as I let life get in my way. But it was a fun 26 miles. The last week or two have been rough, and I blame my lack of cool down activities and stretching after my runs.  4.44 tonight on Dilworth hills and all is well.  I had a friend from work run with me and he arrived in racing flats, as he ran a hole in his vibrams.  The flats were bothering his toe so he pulled 'em off right before we started and ran the course barefooted.  He was only bleeding a little at the end.

under a rock

My race report from the 8k Saturday is over on my blog, if you're interested.

Quiet day in here.  Everyone okay?

Nice report! Good job on pacing! It really is important. Nothing worse than finishing with a whimper instead of a roar.

I've been laying low since last week was a bit hectic. I had family come into town for my son's 3rd birthday. I didn't manage to run or stretch on Thurs or Fri. I ran an easy 3 Saturday and did a weak attempt at stretching. I went out for a 10 mile run on Sunday and my perfect lttle running  bubble I've been living in lately popped on me. The lack of stretching in the prior days caused my right IT band to tighten towards the end of my run and had to call it quits around 9.75 miles. I took yesterday off and probably will take today off too unless PT tells me otherwise. I'm dreading telling PT about it this morning but I keep reminding myself that is what she is there for. Hopefully it was just stupidity on my part and I will be back to my regular routine by the end of the week. On a good note the right side of my lower back has felt awesome this past week, hasn't felt this good in many many months!

Having the problems on Sunday did make me stop and re-evaluate my runnning a bit. I keep getting lured in to wanting to run distances longer than HM. I'm pretty sure my body is trying to tell me to put those ideas on the shelf for this year. So I'm capping my long runs at 14 miles for the spring. Hopefully I can focus on getting my speed back up once I'm straightened out again.

theyapper

On the road again...

Had a nice 4 mile tempo run in between warmup and cool down miles.

Ashley - hope everything calms down a bit for you.  Sounds like a smart decision about the long runs, and hope you get good news later with the PT.

Paul

under a rock

PT said I can run tomorrow but just a short one. We agreed on 3-4 miles. If that is good we'll keep my miles at no more than half of what I ran Sunday until further notice. She thinks it won't take long for the right IT band to feel better and to let me get my long runs back to my target distance. She also agreed I need to focus on the shorter distances, HM and less, for at least 6 months and maybe even a year. I just hope in 3 months if I'm feeling good I don't get all cocky and screw things up. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Good news, Ashley.  Slow and steady.

Went out to run easy, and decided to stop after a bit over 2.25 miles.  Just wasn't enjoying it, so I turned it into a recovery run and can do more tomorrow.

Paul

Good to hear a positive prognosis, Ashley!

4mi tempo for me today, at a pace I'm still not sure is appropriate.  But hey, if they work for Paul ... Cool

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

Wait...if you start doing tempos, I'll never catch you!  Wink  Nice run.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Had a great 7.5 mile run.  Best I've felt on a run this week.

Paul

theyapper

On the road again...

Anybody else go out and run in the rain today?  I got 5 miles in at a quicker than normal pace because I had to get to a meeting and the rain picked up about halfway through the run.

Paul

Not me, I am sure I am going to sprout if I try to run in the rain.  Nobody wants to see that.  A fastish 4 miler on the dreadmill at lunch.

Not me, I am sure I am going to sprout if I try to run in the rain.  Nobody wants to see that.  A fastish 4 miler on the dreadmill at lunch.

Ew.

I did a 4mi/4mi  double, both in the 30s and rainy.  Sweet.

-- Dick LeBeau