Charlotte, NC area runners

Twilight 5k in Charlotte (Read 297 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Is anyone else going to run this?  I'm headed over for it - just signed up yesterday.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

old-runner

Hey Paul... I'll be there and Lynwood mentioned a couple weeks ago in another thread that he was running it too. I did it last year and it was a lot of fun running in downtown Charlotte on Friday evening. You remember how dark it was when we ran in China Grove. This one's not nearly so dark, which is probably not a bad thing (it's nice to see where you're going). I like the nighttime (or evening) races... nice variety and I can sleep in on Saturday morning if I want to.
      theyapper

On the road again...

What can I expect course-wise?  I'm guessing not flat, but is it as hilly as RaceFest or Thunder Road?

Paul

old-runner

I don't remember how hilly it is, but I don't think it's bad. I'm definitely not one of those guys who remembers all the hills or anything else in races. I do remember that there were some tough hills in the Racefest Half Marathon but I think you ran the 10k so you ran a little bit different course. You'll do fine. Just do what I do when I come to a tough hill... walk up it!
          theyapper

On the road again...

No, I ran the half at Racefest.  That's why I remember the hills.  

I'm not too worried.  I'm just excited about running a 5k.  It's my first since last October.  Hope to see you there!

Paul

old-runner

Oh, I didn't remember you ran the half. Now that you mention it, I remember when we talked you were standing on the left side where they told the people running the half marathon to start. Guess I was caught up worrying about my own race!

I'll be on the lookout for you at the Twilight 5k. You're not running the Beach Blast 5k are you? That one sounds like fun. I definitely want to get back to Albemarle before long and do some of the Vac & Dash races... I like their style!

theyapper

On the road again...

No Beach Blast this year for me.  It's sold out.

Paul

What's up ya'll?  Yep, I'm going to run this one this year.  It definitely looks fun.  I've checked the course out and it looks like you can easily go out really fast.  Lots of downhill.  The first hill comes behind the stadium on Cedar, then back down before the uphill back to Tryon.  Then a slight uphill finish I think back up Tryon.  Looking forward to it.  See ya'll there.

I signed up for the 5k today, so I can't escape now. 

Afterwards, I went out to Anne Springs Close Greenway and ran maybe 1 1/2 hours.  I ran from the Field Trial Barn and basically covered all those trails around the barn. That's a fun place to run if anybody wants to meet there sometime.  It's not too technical which works for me, with lots of soft roads to run on.  

old-runner

I haven't signed up yet so if the weather's bad or something I might skip it. Not likely but I like having the option.

Hey Lynwood, I haven't run at the greenway you mentioned but I did a 12-mile run this morning over at McAlpine Park. You ever run over there. There's a group that meets over there at 7:30 every Sunday morning. I ran with them 2 or 3 times over the winter but now that warm weather's here I'm planning on getting out there on a lot of Sunday mornings. You ought to come out and join us if you're interested. You can run any distance you want to because they keep circling back to the parking lot every few miles. It's been fun for me having some runners to talk to since I usually end up running alone in Gastonia.

I'll be on the lookout for you guys next week at Twilight... I'm pretty sure I'll make it.

I have run there and do like it.   I can make the May 15th run on Sunday and will plan on it.  I should run there more often.

Are we there yet?

Twilight sounds like fun.. good luck everyone!! The course is right thru uptown..

old-runner

Lpadg... That'll be great... I'll plan to run at McAlpine on May 15th. Be sure you're there at 7:30 a.m. They don't wait around at all.

ChakaKahn... Good luck at the Twilight. I'm not sure I'll recognize you if I see you. You guys up front are a little hard to spot from those of us who are way back in the pack! Congrats on your 2nd place overall finish last Saturday!

theyapper

On the road again...

You guys up front are a little hard to spot from those of us who are way back in the pack! 

That must put me back in the port-a-potty line. 

Paul

Are we there yet?

Lpadg... That'll be great... I'll plan to run at McAlpine on May 15th. Be sure you're there at 7:30 a.m. They don't wait around at all.

ChakaKahn... Good luck at the Twilight. I'm not sure I'll recognize you if I see you. You guys up front are a little hard to spot from those of us who are way back in the pack! Congrats on your 2nd place overall finish last Saturday!

Richard.. Nice Blog Page!! I like the transition from a blogger site to the domain name.. I have a goal of sub 2:55 a couple weeks in Grandmas Marathon and these 5K's are serving as some speedwork..

Good luck on Friday!!