Last week:

RUNNER

DATE

EVENT

DIST

GOAL

RESULT

Lpadg 17MAY2013 Right Moves for Youth 5km Charlotte NC sub-22:50 22:38
    CliveF 17MAY2013 Right Moves for Youth 5km Charlotte NC suffer-fest DNS (work)
    old-runner 18MAY2013 NCRC Invitational 13.1mi Cary NC sub-1:38 1:44:59

This week:

RUNNER

DATE

EVENT

DIST

GOAL

RESULT

CliveF 25MAY2013 Bare Bones 5km Salisbury NC Pain. 19:08

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Nice work FRI night, Lynwood!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Thanks Cliff.  I turned that suffer-fest into something fun.  My plan was to run the first two easy miles fairly hard, and a nice tempo pace for the 1.1 mile climb. Worked great.  This is the first Twighlight 5k I enjoyed.

And Richard, congrats on being a State Champion!  I hope that came with some awesome swag -- maybe a barrel of tobacco.

What was the weather like for that HM?  Your time was slower than you'd hoped, so ... humid as heck?

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

And Richard, congrats on being a State Champion!  I hope that came with some awesome swag -- maybe a barrel of tobacco.

What was the weather like for that HM?  Your time was slower than you'd hoped, so ... humid as heck?

Thanks... It was humid for sure.  The award for winning was kind of underwhelming... it's a little tile looking thingy that says "Road Runners Club of America -- RRCA Championship Race -- 2013 State Champion." It's made well but nothing to jump up and down about. Like most other things for old age groupers, most of what you come away with is bragging rights. By the way, it's absolutely identical to the one that I won in Memphis in March for the State of Tennessee, so I guess it's just a standard thing they give out across the country.

They were way more hills than I expected but not as bad as the Kings Mountain half last month, and I was about 5 minutes slower on this one. I had what I thought was a cold all last week and was coughing quite a bit in the race, and have felt even worse since the race, so I went to the doctor today and he said my bronchitis had flared up and put me on a prednisone dose pack and some kind of codeine cough medicine that's made me about half loopy.

Very nice Richard!  Congratulations.

old-runner

Very nice Richard!  Congratulations.

Congrats to you too Lynwood... Looks like we're gonna start crossing paths soon in some of these races since you're getting faster and I'm getting slower! Are you running China Grove this year?

Thanks Richard. I just plug away. I seem to gain about a minute per year on my 5k time running the lower mileage I do. I probably sandbagged the Twighlight 5k some. I am going to miss the China Grove 5k and I hate to miss it. We have a trail relay race in WV. Ragnar Trail Series. It's gonna be a camping and running experience I'm looking forward to.